PDA

View Full Version : Books Thread

Knaur
11-03-2011, 10:01 AM
As a widely knowledgeable and very diverse bunch of folks, I expect there must be many IMNet members who are fond of reading. Lets discuss that here :biggrin:

Feel free to post about your favourite books, or even better, what you are reading at the moment, any books you'd recommend , what you are looking forward to read in future, discuss authors, genres or anything like that which catches your fancy.

Oh and New Ron, no, your much dogeared Playboy Centerfold does not count as a book :tongue:

janetnjohn
11-03-2011, 12:01 PM
reading Clive Cussler at the moment! cant remember the title, first of his books that I've picked up.
like tom clancy and books on historical thrillers were ancient artifacts are found threatening the equilibrium of the universe.....

Knaur
11-03-2011, 07:02 PM
reading Clive Cussler at the moment! cant remember the title, first of his books that I've picked up.

Heh last some days I'v been reading light, old stuff to pass the time, nothing serious, read the whole Tom Sawyer books again, then finished off P.G. Wodehouse's A Prefect's Uncle!

janetnjohn
11-04-2011, 08:14 AM
haven't read those. i used to read a lot of fantasy adventure stuff like Tolkien, eddings and terry pratchett but these i prefer more 'real' adventure thrillers, espionage typo thing!
read a lot on history etc
and the bible of course!!!

Knaur
11-04-2011, 10:50 AM
haven't read those. i used to read a lot of fantasy adventure stuff like Tolkien, eddings and terry pratchett but these i prefer more 'real' adventure thrillers, espionage typo thing!
read a lot on history etc

I like reading history too.

Never read Tolkein surprisingly, but Eddings and Pratchett are my favourites. I have read all books of Eddings' Mallorean and Tamuli series, and all bar some of the latest novels of Pratchett's Discworld! Have you read Snuff yet? Its 3rd week on the top of bestsellers :cool:

Espionage is my favourite genre, with John Le Carre being my favourite author, the Cold War type George Smiley novels are simply epic, though others are great too. Another British spy novellist I'v relished reading is Graham Greene, Le Carre's writing style also seems inspired by Greene.

janetnjohn
11-04-2011, 12:06 PM
haven't read pratchett for ages now. have you seen the TV adaptations? they were pretty good!
read the belgariad and the mallorian but got into raymond feist at that point

Knaur
11-04-2011, 12:23 PM
I'v seen some, but the books are still better! Who's your favourite character then?

I ll have to read Belgariad one of these days, I'v only read the Malloreon from Belgarion novels. Elenium and Tamuli are set in another universe, I'v read them both though Malloreon was the one I read first.

Never read any works of Feist.

janetnjohn
11-04-2011, 01:28 PM
ah elenium! yeah i read that, it was good.
fav characters out of pratchett...hmm................the librarian, rincewind, vimes of course! twoflower and the luggage, cohen, teppic, albert
thers a few minor characters i thought were good and of course death!

Knaur
11-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Yeah Tamuli continues after Elenium, Sparhawk series.

The librarian is awesome, oook :biggrin:

janetnjohn
11-04-2011, 02:12 PM
ooook!

Knaur
11-04-2011, 02:29 PM
ooook!

Eeek!

The Librarian has actually generated lots of awareness for a charity Pratchett stands for, The Orangutan Foundation!

Knaur
05-12-2012, 12:57 PM
I finished LOTR finally btw in between reading other novels as well. I am reading another fantasy series these days, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.

Knaur
11-12-2012, 03:13 AM
Am on Book 11 of WoT series now, Knife of Dreams, its always like this with me, once I start a series I must finish it!

Come on, post about some books lads :cool:

janetnjohn
11-12-2012, 07:18 AM
i read quite a few of the wheel of time books bit lost interest a bit. just finished the hunger games books, pretty good stuff. reading anthony shaffer's operation dark heart, he's a former CIA spook.

Knaur
11-12-2012, 10:09 PM
If I start a series, I gotta finish it. That Op Darkheart book sounds good, I like espionage stuff. One of these days I am going to read Gods and Generals, its the sequel to the brilliant Killer Angels, which was required reading at Westpoint IIRC.

janetnjohn
11-13-2012, 02:43 PM
haven't heard of those. operation dark heart was banned but then allowed to publish with a lot of censored black lines thru it, makes it a bit annoying

Knaur
11-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Mate, you gotta read Killer Angels. Required reading for any ACW enthusiast.

janetnjohn
11-14-2012, 07:18 AM
will look out for it

Elizabeth
11-14-2012, 12:09 PM
I am an avid reader. Not much into the fantasy stuff like Tolkien or LOTR.

I tend to read other kinds of Fiction. My favorite set of books has been the Last Jihad series by Joel Rosenberg - 5 books in all, read them all in about 2 weeks, and then had to wait for the last one for over 8 months, but Dead Heat was worth the wait.

But I just finished the 2nd book out in his 12th Iman series. They are thrillers. The first one is called The Twelfth Iman and I just finished The Tehran Initiative. Waiting on the 3red book called The Damascus Countdown in March.

I love that Rosenberg uses the Bible prophecies of the coming Anti Christ, the total annihilation of Damascus and other end times Bible prophecy and weaves in the Islamic teachings/foretelling of a coming prophet known as "The 12th Iman" (Islamic leader that fell down a well about 1500 years ago and is waiting for his subjects to set the world stage for his reign in these modern times. It revolves around a CIA agent who is spying in Iran on their nuke program, the beliefs of the leadership in Iran that the Muslim world needs to create the destruction and chaos of Jihad and nuclear war to bring their "messiah" to the modern world so that they can install the global caliphate (Islamic government) and destroy all who will not bow to their beliefs. A lot of the books, like his last series, incorporates the headlines of today and the craziness of Ahmadinejad and the Ayatollahs.

Knaur
11-15-2012, 04:26 AM
Sounds interesting, might give it a shot sometime

janetnjohn
11-15-2012, 07:17 AM
yeah i'll have to look out for them. never heard of them but sounds good

odie072
11-16-2012, 08:39 AM
Bought a Kindle a couple months ago and have rediscovered my love of reading.

Currently reading Green Team-Richard Marcinko, Commander USN, Plank Owner and founder of Seal Team Six and Red Cell. Green Team so far is excellent and being written in the 90's is eerily similar to terrorist activities today. 3rd book in the "Rogue Warrior" series.

Have read:
Rogue Warrior-Richard Marcinko, his first book on his experiences with the Seals and the founding of Seal Team Six and Red Cell. 5 stars if you like rough and gruff military action complete with all the four letter words you can think of. :biggrin:

Red Cell-Richard Marcinko, second book in the series and is also a 5 star action packed book.

Lone Survivor-Marcus Luttrell, first hand account of "Operation Redwing" and Seal Team 10. Phenomenal book!! You will be Mad, Sad and very Proud all in a few pages. A must read if you like the Seals or just a military buff.

No Easy Day-Mark Owen, first hand account of the mission that killed Bin Laden. Very good book from a member who was there.. Very respectful of the Seals and others who were there.

Marine Sniper 93 Confirmed Kills-Charles Henderson, the story of Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock II, Marine Scout/Sniper. Very Excellent book about a very extraordinary Marine . A must read.

Love the Kindle and I highly recommend one if you love to read. You can also get a app for your android or I-phone so you can take your book anywhere.

Great idea for a thread btw:yup::3:

odie

janetnjohn
11-16-2012, 12:20 PM
haven't read any of them sorry, i have read about and seen documentaries about hathcock, very skillful sniper. will look out for that red cell book, thanks

Elizabeth
11-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Love my Kindle! I have over 100 books on it.

I have an older one that is for reading only and I have the Kindle Fire. Which is a small tablet, does just about everything. It is perfect! for taking everywhere to read, play games, internet. It uses wifi, but they have a new one coming out that is more like the ipad and uses 4g.

My sister is getting that one. She reads like I do and is in the process of the Seal Team 6 book.

Knaur
11-17-2012, 11:06 PM
My prefer to load books free, if I have to buy I prefer hard copy.

Might look into that app for the android I just bought.

Knaur
11-17-2012, 11:41 PM
This is an excellent book also available on Kindle - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-Men-Risen-Defining-Afghanistan/dp/1849164231

Elizabeth
11-18-2012, 01:08 AM
I have the kindle app on my phone and my computer also.

I like Dinesh D'Souza. I have this book on my kindle, just haven't gotten to it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Roots-Obamas-Rage-ebook/dp/B0042FZRGQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1353204480&sr=1-1&keywords=the+roots+of+obama%27s+rage

odie072
11-19-2012, 05:30 AM
My prefer to load books free, if I have to buy I prefer hard copy.

Might look into that app for the android I just bought.

I felt the same way about books until I got the Kindle(which is just the basic one, but if I had to do it over I would have got the one that is touch screen and 3G, not the fire). Now instead of having books all over the place I have a library on my Kindle, laptop and Android(may be getting a tablet too:biggrin:).

Just a very convenient way of reading and I have a book wherever I go. You can bookmark or highlight passages or even make notes that you can refer to later. The last printed book I bought, On Combat by Lt Col Dave Grossman(ret), the binding fell apart while I was reading. You don't have that problem with the e-book, just got to remember to keep everything charged and synced!!:biggrin:

Gonna check that book out Knaur(just going to use Amazon US:biggrin:) and the Obama book looks interesting too Elizabeth. Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming!

O, one more thing, if you get any of Marcinko's books(Rogue Warrior), read them in order. Makes them understandable and flows easier.

odie

Elizabeth
11-19-2012, 01:55 PM
The kindles are awesome in that you can highlight sections, make comments on it and then post to facebook or twitter. Right from the book.

Titles I have:
Israel At War, by Joel Rosenberg, non fiction. Pro Israel author.
The Everlasting Hatred, Hal Lindsey, non fiction, Pro Israel.
Middle East Burning, Mark Hitchcock, non fiction, Pro Israel
Obama And The War Against the Jews, Alan Horowitz, non fiction, pro Isreal
Standing With Israel, David Brog, non fiction, Pro Israel

These are just a few I have on my kindle, on Israel subject alone, I have more on Just Israel. I have started Middle East Burning.

Elizabeth
11-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Welcome Myong! Nice to meet you.

They do indeed do an excellent job here supporting Israel and military and talking with others like minded.

Lots of information, good stuff to read and absorb. Great place to get truth here about Israel and these conflicts.

Knaur
11-20-2012, 02:49 AM
Odie,

Despite being young I remain a bit of a troglodyte, besides e-books are free mostly or at very nominal charges, online I read from Gutengberg project sometime, its an excellent preservation project for classics.

Dinesh D'Souza as Elizabeth recommends is a great author but he is firmly in GOP camp, he is evangelical, hence one must keep an open mind while reading him, but then again, that is good advise for reading any book I suppose.

I am interested in reading this book about the evolution of American Gen. staff since WW2, forgot the name, also need to follow up on Killer Angels, you must read that one if you haven't, ACW scenario fiction at its finest with credible military details, rare.

The book I linked above is about the Welsh Guards' tour of deployment, as you can see it comes with 5/5 rating on Amazon, it ll give you a good idea of the crap Brits are putting up with and how they are overcoming these obstacles.

Iv heard about Rogue Warriors series manytimes, never got around to it.

My semester ends in Dec., hopefully it all works out.

janetnjohn
11-21-2012, 09:55 AM
"Dinesh D'Souza as Elizabeth recommends is a great author but he is firmly in GOP camp, he is evangelical, hence one must keep an open mind while reading him, but then again, that is good advise for reading any book I suppose."

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek:

vimana
11-21-2012, 11:37 PM
I'm reading Chris Kyle's "American Sniper", an autobiography of the most successful sniper in American military history. Kyle is a Navy SEAL, he made more than 150 confirmed kills during Operation Iraqi Freedom. His description of the training, service and unique culture of these elite troops is interesting.

Just finished S.M. Stirling's "Peshawar Lancers", I love alternate history and Sterling is one of my favorites. He has a great imagination. I looked for Peshawar, scrutinizing a map of India, but it turns out it's in Pakistan! Of course, in the story it's all India, there never was a Pakistan. That's what threw me off at first.

Has anyone read "The Last Israelis" by Noah Beck? Looks fascinating, doesn't it? I haven't read it yet. I love books that deal with the ethics and moral complexities of warfare. My sister knows I want it, and she has hinted that I might find it under the tree this Christmas, or even receive it as a birthday gift (my birthday is in December also).

Knaur
11-22-2012, 03:45 AM
Haven't read any of them but I know of Stirling's works.

Knaur
01-13-2013, 10:45 PM
Reading Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising, finally.

janetnjohn
01-14-2013, 07:16 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Total-War-2006-Simon-Pearson/dp/0340748567

anybody read total war 2006?

Knaur
01-14-2013, 07:55 AM
Nope, is it any good?

I am planning on finishing Red Storm Rising soon and then read the one about the Welsh Guards' deployment in 'Stan.

janetnjohn
01-14-2013, 09:31 AM
it was ok, about a future WW3 and how it plays out.

sniper one was a good read

Knaur
10-03-2013, 11:27 AM
http://www.thehindu.com/books/books-authors/author-tom-clancy-dead/article5193805.ece

Author Tom Clancy dead

R.I.P.

Red Storm Rising and The Hunt For Red October remain immensely enjoyable novels.

David of Galilee
10-04-2013, 11:32 AM
http://www.thehindu.com/books/books-authors/author-tom-clancy-dead/article5193805.ece

Author Tom Clancy dead

R.I.P.

Red Storm Rising and The Hunt For Red October remain immensely enjoyable novels.

Yes, those two were earlier novels of Mr Clancy, and they remained his best works.

Knaur
03-19-2014, 01:45 PM
I need to get around to Dead Men Risen : The Welsh Guards and the defining story of Britain's War in Afghanistan one of these days, it has had excellent reviews.

Right now I am reading Team Yankee : A novel of WWIII by Harold Coyle.

Knaur
03-22-2014, 09:08 AM
Now reading my favourite John Le Carre's : A Delicate Truth

Knaur
03-26-2014, 11:14 AM
Started Red Army by Ralph Peters today.

Knaur
04-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Moving on to the classic Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky's English translation.

Knaur
04-18-2014, 11:00 AM
Having read Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth a couple of years ago, I am now reading the sequel, World Without End.