Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Social > World News > North America
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Paparock is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Anti-Semitic Attacks Surging in North America

New York school district apologizes for 'Jews are evil' assignment

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/12...est=latestnews
April 12, 2013
FoxNews.com

An upstate New York school district is reportedly apologizing — and mulling possible disciplinary action — for a high school writing assignment that asked students to “argue Jews are evil” while making a persuasive argument blaming them for the problems of Nazi Germany.

The Albany Times Union reports that some students at Albany High School were asked to research Nazi propaganda before assuming their English teacher was a Nazi government official who had to be convinced of their loyalty. In five paragraphs, they were required to prove that Jews were the source of Germany's problems, the newspaper reports.

"You must argue that Jews are evil, and use solid rationale from government propaganda to convince me of your loyalty to the Third Reich,” the assignment reportedly read. A third of the students refused.

Superintendent Marguerite Vanden Wyngaard told the newspaper she doesn't believe the unidentified teacher who doled out the assignment had malicious intent.

Wyngaard, who initially declined to indicate if the teacher would be disciplined, said the intent of the assignment was to have students make an argument based on limited information, but should have been worded differently.

"I would apologize to our families," she said. "I don't believe there was malice or intent to cause any insensitivities to our families of Jewish faith."

School district spokesman Ron Lesko said Friday that administrators are now discussing what official action the 10th-grade teacher could face for the assignment given to students on Monday.Wyngaard scheduled a news conference for Friday afternoon at the United Jewish Federation to discuss the controversy.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/12...est=latestnews
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Asymmetric Warfare It’s not just for the “Other Guys”

Last edited by Paparock; 01-08-2014 at 12:43 AM..
Old 04-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation Shock Report: Anti-Semitic Attacks Surged in 2012

Shock Report: Anti-Semitic Attacks Surged in 2012

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...urged-in-2012/

A monument was found desecrated with anti-Semitic graffiti at a Jewish cemetery in Wysokie Mazowieckie, Poland, on Monday, March 19, 2012. (AP)

TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) — Israeli researchers warned Sunday of a sudden upsurge in anti-Semitic attacks, topped by a deadly school shooting in France, noting a link to the rise of extremist parties in Europe.

The warnings emerge from an annual report on anti-Semitism in the world, released on the eve of Israel’s memorial day for the 6 million Jews killed by German Nazis and their collaborators in World War II.

The report noted a 30 percent jump in anti-Semitic violence and vandalism last year, after a two-year decline. It was issued at Tel Aviv University, in cooperation with the European Jewish Congress, an umbrella group representing Jewish communities across Europe.

The report recorded 686 attacks in 34 countries, ranging from physical violence to vandalism of synagogues and cemeteries, compared to 526 in 2011. It said 273 of the attacks last year, or 40 percent, involved violence against people.

The report linked the March 2012 shooting at a Jewish school in Toulouse, where an extremist Muslim gunman killed four people, to a series of attacks that followed – particularly in France, where physical assaults on Jews almost doubled.

In this Monday, March 19, 2012 file photo, police officers gather at the site of a shooting where a gunman opened fire in front of a Jewish school in a city in Toulouse, southwestern France. Israeli researchers and Jewish leaders on Sunday reported 30 percent jump in anti-Semitic violence and vandalism last year, topped by a deadly school shooting in France, and expressed alarm about the rise of neo-Nazi parties in Hungary, Greece and other countries. (AP)

The report by the university’s Center for the Study of Contemporary European Jewry found little correlation between the increase of anti-Semitic attacks and Israel’s military operation in Gaza in November. While there was a spike in incidents at the time, it was much smaller in number and intensity than the one that followed the Toulouse school attack, said Roni Stauber, the chief researcher on the project.

“This shows that the desire to harm Jews is deeply rooted among extremist Muslims and right-wingers, regardless of events in the Middle East,” he said. An Israeli offensive in Gaza four years earlier led to a significant spike in attacks against Jews in Europe.

This year, researchers pointed to a correlation between the strengthening of extreme right-wing parties in some European countries and high levels of anti-Semitic incidents, as well as attacks on other minorities and immigrants.

They said Europe’s economic crisis was fueling the rise of extremist parties like Jobbik in Hungary, Golden Dawn in Greece and Svoboda in Ukraine.

A French police officer sits in a guard post outside a synagogue in Paris, Monday, Oct. 8, 2012. Jews across France say that anti-Semitic threats have escalated in recent months, following a deadly assault on a Jewish school in Toulouse by a Frenchman trained by Islamist paramilitaries. (AP)

Moshe Kantor, president of the European Jewish Congress, called for strong action by the European Union, charging that governments – particularly in Hungary – were not doing enough to curb these parties’ activities and protect minorities.

“Neo-Nazis have been once again legalized in Europe. They are openly sitting in parliaments,” Kantor complained.

Kantor, a Russian-Swiss businessman, said the EU should even consider expelling Hungary and Greece. “If they do not protect their own population against neo-Nazism, with all the lessons Europe had already, maybe there is no place for them in the European Union,” he told The Associated Press after the presentation of the report.

First, he said, his group has asked the European Parliament to hold a special hearing on Hungary. The parliament is planning the hearings, said parliament spokesman Jaume Duch.

The president of the parliament, Martin Schulz, has been openly critical of anti-Semitism in Europe.

There was no immediate reaction from European officials, but the chances of punishing any country for the results of a democratic election are slim. The EU has never suspended a member state, much less tried to expel one.

Golden Dawn swept into Greece’s parliament for the first time in June on an anti-immigrant platform. The party rejects the neo-Nazi label but is fond of Nazi literature and references. In Hungary, a Jobbik lawmaker has called for Jews to be screened as potential security risks. The leader of Ukraine’s Svoboda denies his party is anti-Semitic but has repeatedly used derogatory terms to refer to Jews.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...urged-in-2012/

Old 04-12-2013, 10:48 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow Twitter Sued £32m for Refusing to Reveal anti-Semites

Twitter Sued £32m for Refusing to Reveal anti-Semites
by Ian Steadman

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...-anti-semitism

In January, a French court ruled that Twitter must hand over the details of people who had tweeted racist and anti-semitic remarks, and set up a system that would alert the police to any further such posts as they happen. Twitter has ignored that ruling, and now the Union of French Jewish Students (UEJF) is suing it for €38.5m (£32.8m) for its failure.

The case revolves around a hashtag -- #unbonjuif ("a good Jew")-- which became the third-most popular on the site in October 2012. The UEJF took Twitter to court, demanding that those who had tweeted anti-semitic remarks using the hashtag be named by Twitter so the police could prosecute them for hate speech.

Twitter refused, arguing it was based in the United States and thus protected by the 1st Amendment's freedom of speech guarantees. A Parisian circuit court ruled against the social network, giving it two weeks to comply or face a fine of up to €1,000 (£849) for every day it doesn't. The UEJF want considerably more than that, says its president, Jonathan Hayoun, because "is making itself an accomplice and offering a highway for racists and anti-Semites".

"Twitter is playing the indifference card in not respecting the decision of 24 January," he added, when speaking to AFP. If the UEFJ wins its case, it plans to donate the money to the Shoah Memorial Fund. Twitter has said it will appeal the decision. It deleted many of the offensive tweets in January after the earlier court ruling, but has so far held back on using its country withheld content feature to pre-filter potentially offensive content, as it does with neo-Nazi posts in Germany.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...-anti-semitism

Old 04-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation anti-Semitic Is America

anti-Semitic Is America

Old 04-12-2013, 11:38 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation anti-Semitism In America is Growing

anti-Semitism In America is Growing

Erin Burnett: Should America Accept Anti-Semitism in Middle East?

Anti Semitic Teacher Is Fired For Saying Jews Are Ruining America

The shocking statistics about anti-Semitism in America

Conversation with America: Trends in Anti-Semitism Around the World

Anti-Semitism in the U.S.

Shockingly anti-Semitic, anti-American protest in San Francisco

O'Reilly - Far Left Praising Anti-American/Anti-Semitic Al Jazeera (2.1.11)

Antisemitism On Campus

Last edited by Paparock; 04-12-2013 at 11:54 PM..
Old 04-13-2013, 12:05 AM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation Anti-Semitism is alive and well (in the U.S. political discourse, anyway)

Anti-Semitism is alive and well (in the U.S. political discourse, anyway)

http://mondoweiss.net/2012/09/anti-s...se-anyway.html

Three examples from the last 24 hours…

1. The Washington Post runs a piece by Anat Berko, an Israeli scholar, called “If Israel bombed Iran, what would life in Tel Aviv be like?” You’d think that they might ask what life in Tehran would be like. And as it turns out, Berko is not really that interested in imagining life in Tel Aviv, so much as offering homiletics about the Holocaust:
The soldiers hurry out of their homes, buttoning their uniforms and scattering to bases and missions across the country. The massacres of Jews and the piles of ash left by the Nazis are part of our collective memory. So we take responsibility for our own defense — of a land that is both a haven and a self-imposed ghetto for the Jewish people.

My husband, a volunteer beyond the age of his mandatory reserve duty, is called up to defend the home front. In the past, the Israel Defense Forces’ preference for male over female reservists bothered me, but this time I am happy to stay home.

After the Holocaust, we said “Never again,” and we meant it. The world must understand that when the Jewish people are threatened, it is the first sign of a threat to international order and world peace…

In all of Israel’s many wars, the people have put aside the arguments that divided them politically and united to fight those who wished to destroy the Jewish state. Etc.
2. On All Things Considered, host Robert Siegel and political commentator David Brooks do what we used to call a little Jewish geography together, based on a recent article in Moment Magazine about the DNA of “notable” American Jews. The fact that they’re both Jewish and Moment is a Jewish magazine is merely implicit in this banter. The NPR transcriber did not know how to spell shtetl or pogrom; I’ve corrected the misspellings. A pogrom is an anti-Semitic riot or uprising in Eastern Europe.
SIEGEL: And E.J., in the interest in full disclosure, since the three of us spoke last, Moment magazine determined, based on saliva samples, that David and I share 10 centimorgans of DNA, apparently making us fourth cousins. And despite this newly discovered, extremely remote kinship, I shall still strive for fairness.

E.J. DIONNE: I have no doubt. I know I like David better now.

SIEGEL: So Cousin David, you – you weighed in very, very early – very, very critically on the by-now-notorious Romney fundraising video. Is there anything more to say about Governor Romney and the 47 percent or now the 14 percent tax rate?

BROOKS: Can I just say, first of all, I was most surprised that our ancestors worked together on National Shtetl Radio, a program called “All Pogroms Considered.”
3. I got a letter from Aaron Mann, the new campus outreach co-manager for Americans for Peace Now. Excerpt. Emphasis mine:
I’m a Jew, and a Zionist. I’m pro-Israel and pro-peace. I want security for Israel. I want rights for Palestinians. I want two states for two peoples.

As far as I’m concerned, none of that is controversial. Yet, you wouldn’t know it from hearing the majority of the discourse about Israel and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict that pervades our universities. This polarized dialogue is what many American students who care about Israel have had to deal with.

Like me, many have been looking for an alternative, moderate voice on campus.

I’ve been a strong supporter of Israel for much of my life, due in large part to what many in my family experienced during World War II. Israel’s preservation is, for us, an existential issue. As such, it’s always been difficult for me to be critical of a Jewish state- with its existence seemingly a miracle- that has been under constant threat for decades. A state founded by a people who have lived with such threats for centuries.

What was never difficult was maintaining a sense of solidarity and sympathy toward Israel.
Aaron, please tell me how you’re threatened, and why it’s an existential issue for you.

http://mondoweiss.net/2012/09/anti-s...se-anyway.html

Old 04-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow Students Asked to ‘Argue That Jews Are Evil’ and Prove Nazi Loyalty

Students Asked to ‘Argue That Jews Are Evil’ and Prove Nazi Loyalty in Assignment Linked to Common Core

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...o-common-core/

A screenshot of the writing assignment asking students to argue the Nazi case.

Students in some Albany High School English classes were asked to participate in the unthinkable this week as part of a persuasive writing assignment. The objective? Prove why Jews are evil and convince the teacher of their loyalty to the Third Reich in five paragraphs or less.

“You must argue that Jews are evil, and use solid rationale from government propaganda to convince me of your loyalty to the Third Reich!” read the description on the assignment, which the school superintendent said reflects the kind of sophisticated writing expected of students under the new Common Core standards and was meant to hone students’ persuasive argument abilities.

The TimesUnion reports that students were asked to digest Nazi propaganda material, then imagine that their teacher was an SS officer who needed to be persuaded of their loyalty by arguing that Jews are the root of all the world’s ills.

“I would apologize to our families,” Albany Superintendent Marguerite Vanden Wyngaard said. “I don’t believe there was malice or intent to cause any insensitivities to our families of Jewish faith.”

The TimesUnion explains more of the reasoning behind the offensive assignment:
Vanden Wyngaard said the exercise reflects the type of writing expected of students under the new Common Core curriculum, the tough new academic standards that require more sophisticated writing. Such assignments attempt to connect English with history and social studies.

She said she understood the academic intent of the assignment — to make an argument based only on limited information at hand. Still, she acknowledged that it was worded in a very offensive manner. She did not identify the English teacher or discuss whether the educator faced any discipline.
Students were asked to draw on elements of the great philosopher Aristotle, and frame their arguments as either: “Logos” (persuasion by reasoning), “Pathos” (persuasion by emotional appeal) or “Ethos” (persuasion by the author’s character).

Nonetheless, a reported one-third of the Albany students refused to complete the assignment.

Whether school faculty chose this particular subject matter for the writing assignment, or if the subject matter came directly from Common Core remains unclear (it could have been the justification and not a direct lesson), but the amount of controversial lessons administered under curriculum system is indeed mounting.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...o-common-core/

Old 04-19-2013, 04:48 AM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow Brooklyn: Wild melee erupts as NYPD arrests Muslim teen for allegedly taunting Jewish

Brooklyn: Wild melee erupts as NYPD arrests Muslim teen for allegedly taunting Jewish subway rider

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...2QqZXKJbQerica

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2013/04/br...way-rider.html

"You will surely find the most intense of the people in animosity toward the believers to be the Jews..." -- Qur'an 5:82

This Qur'anic dictum usually manifests itself as intense animosity on the part of Muslims toward Jews.

"SEE IT: Wild Brooklyn melee erupts as NYPD arrests Muslim teen for allegedly taunting Jewish subway rider," by Shane Dixon Kavanaugh for the New York Daily News, April 18 (thanks to Twostellas):
The attempted arrest of an allegedly hate-mongering teen aboard a Brooklyn subway quickly turned into a wild showdown between cops and a roiled mob, according to sources and video obtained by the Daily News.

The melee began when suspect Stephan Stowe, 17, and a group of eight friends approached a Jewish man wearing a yarmulke aboard a Brooklyn-bound 3 train just before 3 p.m. Monday, police sources said Wednesday.

"Assalamu Alaikum," Stowe said to the man, using a common greeting among Muslims that means, "Peace be with you," court documents allege.
Actually it means "Peace be upon you," which is not quite the same thing.
When the man ignored the greeting, Stowe allegedly became combative.

"You think you're better than me?" the teen allegedly said. "We are cousins."

"No we’re not," The man shot back, and told Stowe to leave him alone.

The suspect then started hurling ethnic slurs and called the man disrespectful, according to court papers.

As the tension aboard the train escalated, the man whipped out his cell phone and took a photo of Stowe, who then snatched the phone and deleted the photo, police sources said.

"I'm going to kill you right now," Stowe said, according to cops and court records. He then swore at the man, according to cops and court records, and in an apparent reference to the Holocaust added, "They should have killed all of you."

The man managed to swipe his phone back from Stowe and ran to alert the conductor, police sources said. As the train pulled into the Eastern Parkway/Brooklyn Museum stop, cops were waiting to collar Stowe, police sources said.

But that's when a mob rose up against the cops....

Last edited by Paparock; 04-19-2013 at 04:50 AM..
Old 04-19-2013, 06:14 AM
Dragon

David of Galilee is on a distinguished road

There once was a great tried-and-true way used to reduce anti-Semitism in the US. It was effective, thorough, and almost fool-proof. In fact, it was so ingenious that I don't know why it doesn't come back into fashion. By way of example, an uncle of mine from Vilna, Lithuania, went to America. He arrived as Ben-Tzi'on Frankel with a nice beard. Upon arrival he threw his shiny black suit and hat into the harbour and headed off to the nearest (Jewish) barber for a good shave. After a few too many hassles and tussles on shore he changed his name from Ben-Tzi'on Frankel to Benjamin Franklin. Then he opened a small business and joined the Rotary Club. Transition complete. Except for the vestigal Yiddisch accent, which almost blew his cover a few times, or when he would cry out Oy Vey Iz Meer! or call Hitler a farshtinkener b'heima or tell the neighbourhood anti-Semites to kish mein tukhez.

Jews are good actors--may be why we invented Hollywood and did so much of the acting therein. Creative living techniques for a hostile world.

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts...

For the part of my family that went to America, the "melting pot" only worked for those who hid their identity to a great extent. As my uncle used to say in his old age, "it was a pot full of melting identities, and now it is the pot itself that is melting."

----
Note regarding these sentences from previous post: "Assalamu Alaikum," Stowe said to the man, using a common greeting among Muslims that means, "Peace be with you," court documents allege. Actually it means "Peace be upon you," which is not quite the same thing.

It does translate accurately as "peace be with you." The use of the word "al-" in front of salam is the idiomatic equivalent of "with". It is exactly the same as the Hebrew greeting Shalom Aleikhem ("peace be upon you" OR "peace be with you").

Last edited by David of Galilee; 04-19-2013 at 06:23 AM..
Old 04-24-2013, 12:56 AM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation Parents Call Textbook Anti-Semitic

Parents Call Textbook Anti-Semitic

Apr 23, 2013
By Todd Starnes
http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...i-semitic.html

The Jewish Federation of Nashville and a group of outraged parents are calling for a school district to pull a high school textbook they believe promotes bias against Israel.

The book, “The Cultural Landscape: An Introduction to Human Geography,” is used in Advanced Placement classes in Williamson County, south of Nashville.

A section titled, “Terrorism by Individuals and Organizations,” asks students to ponder the following question:

“If a Palestinian suicide bomber kills several dozen Israeli teenagers in a Jerusalem restaurant, is that an act of terrorism or wartime retaliation against Israeli government policies and army actions?”

“That is blatantly anti-Semitic,” said Laurie Cardoza-Moore, a parent and president of a pro-Israel group. “We are appalled and shocked that this type of statement would be used in any textbook in the United States let alone our own community.”

Cardoza-Moore said a parent raised concerns after her child came home from school asking about who really owned the land – the Jews or Palestinians?

She said she started reviewing the material and eventually brought her concerns to the school board.

“It is insinuating that these Palestinian suicide bombers have a legitimate right to blow up innocent Israeli teenagers in a Jerusalem restaurant,” she told Fox News. “That is unacceptable.”

Director of Schools Mike Looney told Fox News he has reviewed the book and understands the concerns people may have.

“As with anything else, it’s extremely dangerous to take anything out of context,” he said. “That question needs to be considered in the context of the paragraph in the section of the book.”

Here’s the entire paragraph:
“Distinguishing terrorism from other acts of political violence can be difficult. For example, if a Palestinian suicide bomber kills several dozen Israeli teenagers in a Jerusalem restaurant, is that an act of terrorism or wartime retaliation against Israeli government policies and army actions? Competing arguments are made: Israel’s sympathizers denounce the act as a terrorist threat to the country’s existence, whereas advocates of the Palestinian cause argue that long-standing injustices and Israeli army attacks on ordinary Palestinian civilians provoked the act.”
Looney told Fox News the textbook has been used for a number of years without any complaints. And for the record, he said no one has filed a formal complaint to have the book reviewed.

“We will be glad to take a look at it, but we are not going to throw out the process,” he said. “These are highly intellectual, advanced classes that stretch students minds and often focus on debating sensitive cultural issues is not something new.”

He also disputed the notion that the single passage in a nearly 500-page book is anti-Semitic.

“I personally don’t get that perspective from reading that question in context,” he said. “I respect other people’s viewpoints and understand they might read it differently.”

Mark Freedman, executive director of the Jewish Federation, said in a statement that the district needed to remove the book.

“To create moral equivalency between specific acts of terror and legitimate territorial disputes that are political in nature serves to legitimize wanton and premeditated violence against innocent civilian victims,” wrote Jewish Federation executive director Mark Freedman in a statement. “To further allow distorted, unbalanced and prejudicial content to stand as a form of academic inquiry is a perversion of our educational system and a disservice to all the children who learn in that system.”

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...i-semitic.html

How about you idiot, that Israel does not target civilians while the Muslim terrorists do! Try to force that into your tiny brain! And people wonder why some American kids are coming out of schools that can't read with a Director of Schools lacking in reasoning ability like this guy?
Paparock

Last edited by Paparock; 04-24-2013 at 01:10 AM..
Old 04-25-2013, 04:12 AM
Dragon

The "moral equivalency" position removes morality from the discussion. Historical context, and the consequences of decisions made and actions taken become irrelevant.

Both willfully distorted, and sloppy, uninformed presentations, of various forms of the moral equivalency arguement, have convinced a generation of Westerners that Israel targets innocent civilians. With any rebuttal, we are met with comments like, "how can you say that Israel doesn't deliberately kill women and children as a matter of policy and practice when we all see it on the news?"

Ironically, many of Israel's neighbours view their dispute with Jews as a tribal, prideful challenge. Lots of emotional plumage displays by the peacocks. The use of the deadly concept of moral equivalency, on the other hand, was born in the West. The West is much better at using the language of apparently rational discussion and debate, and pretending humanitarian concern. Though commonly mistaken as a "liberal" idea, it is very much a post-liberal amoral stance, and used not based on principles or ethics, but as a cynical tool with which to demonize Jews and delegitimize Israel.

I wish that Israel's enemies would just speak what they think: they didn't get enough of us into the ovens, and are using the more primitive, tribal enemies of Israel in the Middle east as proxies to finish the job.

This school book story, if found in a Muslim schoolbook (and the same or worse is indeed to be found), would be said to illustrate a fundamental bias of that society and the majority of its people against Jews and Israel. And that might well be true. Yet found in a schoolbook in the West, it is an incident, or even an isolated incident.

Truth is, anti-Israelism is far more popular in the West than many are willing to admit. This textbook "incident" took place not in Ramallah or Aswan or Irbid or Medina, but in the heartland of America. And if one looks at the often virulently anti-Semitic Internet-based "alternate media" coming out of the that same heartland, this textbook wordage is no surprise.

Last edited by David of Galilee; 04-25-2013 at 04:15 AM..
Old 04-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Knaur is on a distinguished road

Much is lost in translation and context, indeed.

Paparock,

Quote:
And people wonder why some American kids are coming out of schools that can't read with a Director of Schools lacking in reasoning ability like this guy?
I don't believe the Director of Schools is lacking in reasoning ability, he has it all reasoned out as far as his career advancement goes. If he was acting from the perspective of an educator rather than a political appointee, then his approach would be different of course.
It is absolutely true in war, were other things equal, that numbers, whether men, shells, bombs, etc, would be supreme. Yet it is also absolutely true that other things are never equal and can never be equal - Maj.Gen. J. F. C. Fuller

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9
Old 04-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Knaur is on a distinguished road

The proverbial "melting pot" is IMHO what made, and still makes America a remarkable nation and shows the true American character, one which is of incredible acceptance and not willful coercion.

Any socio-religious/ethnic group whatsoever in America has faced hardship and yet moulded itself into a sense of identity truly "American" in an exceptionally brief time ; such fierce loyalty across the board cannot be externally imposed but comes from willingness brought about by a core libertarian foundation of equality (the kind exemplified by The New Colossus and Old West, individual enterprise and opportunity, not the reverse "equal opportunity" modern liberal BS).

"Moral equivalency" is not a concept born in the West as such, nevertheless, I'd dare say the "West" or America in particular can rightfully claim the higher moral ground compared to Islamic civilizations.

At some point or another, one has to distinguish between the philosophical and the factual when co-relating the two.

Anti-Zionism is nothing but a fancy new fangled cover for Anti-Semitism, and applying Islam's underlying tribal and violently expansionist nature as a justification to fit one's own world view is rather hypocritical IMHO.
It is absolutely true in war, were other things equal, that numbers, whether men, shells, bombs, etc, would be supreme. Yet it is also absolutely true that other things are never equal and can never be equal - Maj.Gen. J. F. C. Fuller

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9

Last edited by Knaur; 04-25-2013 at 07:13 PM..
Old 04-25-2013, 08:10 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation Prepare Israel for an attack and a betrayal by Obama aiding your enemies

To me it as simple as choosing to serve self interest over what is right. I guess that is but one of the reasons I am glad to go home soon. So few people here in America are willing to make a public stand for what they know is right out of fear of being labeled, shunned, and even persecuted for their beliefs. Good is being called evil; right is being called wrong all the way to the highest levels of government with good men fearing to do anything about it. I do what I can but I feel like a man crying out in a desert so much of the time. So much of the American people shut their eyes, ears, and mouths they have become the epitome of the Three Monkeys. America is in gridlock because the blind now rule the land as we run toward the cliff of destruction al the while singings songs of hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil! Only when disaster befalls some does the scales fall from the eyes of a few yet the majority take the pill to go back ton sleep preferring the illusion to the truth and reality! Wide is the road that leads to destruction and narrow is path that leads to salvation. People need to awake from their slumber before sudden destruction comes upon them without any warning! Time grows ever shorter!

The smart Jews would flee the USA to Israel now because by the time they see the realization of the threat that is coming even here in the USA; they will be lucky to escape with their lives. I know no one sees that now however over the coming ten years I believe you will see it come to pass. Now they can take their goods and savings; then they will face what their forefathers faced in Europe during WWII.

Israel prepare to defend yourselves over the next couple of years against a surprise attack from all your enemies and do not depend on the USA as Obama will betray you if not aid your enemies against you!

Paparock

Last edited by Paparock; 04-25-2013 at 08:19 PM..
Old 04-26-2013, 04:50 AM
Dragon

Israel is far less dependent on the US than is imagined in the West or East.

The melting pot of the US is actually very weird to me. It is mostly Europeans who mixed with other Europeans. Racially-based thinking is hardly gone from America, nor is the foreigner's view of America as a melting-pot held in high regard by many Americans. I have lived in both old world and new world Europe, in England, Scotland, and Iceland, and in Hawaii, Oregon, Kansas, and New York. A good percentage of people are good-hearted, lack racial prejudice, and are very tolerant. The opposite is also true--in old Europe or its children. The amount of racial bigotry and anti-Semitism I found in the American heartland--away from NY and LA and other urban areas--was legion. I can pass for white, an dhave almost unaccented English, and thus I heard many things from many people who had no idea I was Israeli. I am sorry to say, that the overseas idealization of America ignores the overriding factor of human nature, which knows no racial, cultural or national boundaries. Knaur, respectfully, you do not seem to know the shear quantity of anti-Semitism in the US. It runs deep in both the pseudo-conservative and the pseudo-liberal world. Europeans did not somehow magically change by crossing the pond. I know and respect many Americans, but it is no paradise of human nature. I could lie and say all kinds of nice things, but anti-Semitism is growing, and is deeply-set in the culture, as it is in the other older part of Europe. It is very deep.

I don't mean to sound insulting to America, but how can I pretend in these increasingly dangerous times? It would be an insult to every decent, moral, God-fearing American I know to suggest that the US is on a higher moral ground than other nations. In fact, most of my many Christian friends in America are so disappointed in their own country these days that they believe that it has sealed its fate by going against God, that the US is under judgement for immorality and the promotion of secular values.

Melting pot?

I'd say the pot is melting . . .
Old 05-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Thumbs down CBS Stands Behind Anti-Israel Propaganda

CBS Stands Behind Anti-Israel Propaganda
Why does 60 Minutes still refuse to expose Palestinian and Muslim torture of Christians while it condemns the Jewish State?
by Joseph Puder

On April 22, 2012, CBS’s 60 Minutes aired a segment titled Christians in the Holy Land. Israel’s ambassador to the U.S., Michael Oren, called it “a hatchet job.” The piece by Bob Simon was full of inaccuracies and false allegations about the state of Israel and its mistreatment of Christians. The sheer irony is in the very airing of the piece. The fact that it focused on Israel and not on the Muslim world is in itself a telling story. In the face of glaring persecution of Christians in the Arab and Muslim Middle East (including the Christians under the jurisdiction of Hamas in Gaza and the Palestinian Authority (PA) in the West Bank), CBS’s allegations against Israel, where Christians do enjoy full civil rights and religious freedom, are offensive. It exposed CBS’s cowardice. Instead of challenging Muslim aggression against Christians and Christianity, CBS chose to express its anti-Israel disposition.

Despite repeated requests by CAMERA (Committee for Accuracy in Middle East Reporting in America) to correct the false information regarding the defensive barrier around Bethlehem (aided by maps that refute CBS allegations), CBS has refused to issue a retraction. In fact, Jeffrey Fager, chairman of CBS News, while addressing a large audience at the St. Mark’s Episcopal Church in New Canaan, CT, on April 7, 2013, refused to admit the inaccuracies in the broadcast Christians in the Holy Land. He actually repeated the same false allegations made in the original broadcast.

Israel’s defensive barrier in Gaza and the West Bank was not meant to confine Palestinians, Muslims or Christians. It was meant to save Israeli lives from Palestinian Arab terrorists who, prior to the barrier, murdered scores of Israeli civilians. CBS 60 Minutes did not consider doing a segment on that piece of reality. To conclude as CBS 60 Minutes did, that Israel has caused Christians to suffer, is not only false, it is malicious.

The Christians suffer in Gaza and the West Bank because of the intolerance of Islamist imams, and the encouragement of the Islamist regime of Hamas in the persecution of Christians, and the extortion and violence of Fatah gangs in the West Bank with the blessings of the PA. Moreover, Article 4 of the Palestinian Authority Constitution stipulates that “Islam is the official religion in Palestine,” and that “The principles of Islamic Shari’a shall be the main source of legislation.”

In April, 2002, the Church of the Nativity was invaded by more than 100 Palestinian Muslim gunmen who shot their way inside while attempting to evade capture by Israeli soldiers who had entered Bethlehem to quell on-going terrorism and, in particular, suicide bombings. As confirmed by Abdullah Abu-Hadid, a senior commander in the Tanzim militia, “the idea was to enter the Church in order to create international pressure on Israel.” While inside the church, gunmen engaged in theft, intimidation, hostage-taking, and vandalism.

According to a Lutheran pastor interviewed in Jerusalem on November 15, 2001, Bethlehem’s Nativity Square was traditionally filled with Christian stores, but the Muslim boycott has forced many of these stores out of business. Many Muslims, especially members of various ‘security’ forces, are increasingly forcing Christian-owned shops out of business. Bob Simon, however, did not see fit to interview that pastor for the segment.

After acquiring control of Bethlehem in 1994, Yaser Arafat, the P.L.O. chairman and Palestinian Authority President, changed the municipal boundaries of Bethlehem by extending the city’s borders to include the 30,000 Muslims living in the neighboring refugee camps of Dehaisheh, El-Ayda, and El-Azeh. In addition, Arafat encouraged Muslim immigration from Hebron (an Islamist bastion) to Bethlehem. As a result, in 1990, the Christian population of Bethlehem stood at 60%. In 2001, it declined to less than 20%. Israel, had nothing to do with this reality, which again, Bob Simon chose to ignore, and Jeff Fager failed to correct.

This reporter interviewed the late Christian Mayor of Bethlehem Elias Freij in 1993, at his office in Bethlehem City Hall, a hand throw away from the Church of the Nativity. Asked about the decline in the Christian population of the city, Freij pointed with his finger westward and said sardonically, “they are in Santiago de Chile.” “Why” I asked? In a moment of honesty and frustration Freij replied “Because of intimidation.”

Most of the top Arab Palestinian Christian clergy has been co-opted by the Palestinian Authority, and it is these very people that Bob Simon and CBS 60-Minutes turned to for opinion. The quid-pro-quo for these members of the clergy is to ignore the suffering of their flock caused by Muslim intolerance and intimidation, and blame Israel for their trouble. It is really fear of jeopardizing their standing with the PA, and to achieve a position within the hierarchy of Palestinian society, that Arab Palestinian Christians leaders, religious and secular, are willing to obfuscate the situation in the PA in spite of the adverse impact on their constituents.

Justus Reid Weiner, the author of Human Rights of Christians in Palestinian Society, in a 2006 interview with Christianity Today described the following: “There is a Greek Orthodox Christian who was so tight with the Palestinian Liberation Organization that during the first intifada, Israel expelled him from the West Bank. Arafat brought him back to the West Bank after the Oslo process began. He ran a TV station that he built in Bethlehem. Despite that connection, he gradually got fed up with what was going on with the Christians. About two months ago, he went public with a dossier that he had previously delivered to Arafat and then Abu Mazen. The dossier gives 70 detailed examples of attacks on specific Christians—beatings, sexual harassment, all nature of theft, stealing land—and 140 cases of land theft where Muslim gangs in cahoots with the Palestinian Authority showed up, poured a slab of cement, built apartment houses, and sold them right under the nose of the land’s Christian owners.”

A while back, Rev. Dr. Bill Harter (PCUSA pastor) and this reporter met with a U.S. State Department official in charge of Israel and the Palestinian Authority Desk. Rev. Harter made over 40 trips to Israel and the West Bank, and met regularly with Arab Palestinian Christians. He developed close relationships with many families. Harter pointed out to the State Department official that what Arab Palestinian Christians tell reporters in public is one thing, usually, harsh anti-Israel statements to appease their Muslim neighbors in order to save their skin and protect their families. Otherwise, they might be accused of being “Zionist agents” and become a prey for Fatah gangsters or Islamists. In private, Rev. Harter intimated, they complain of harassment, intimidation, and violence against them by Muslims.

CBS News boss Jeff Fager defended the Kairos Document featured on the 60 Minutes segment, which was hailed by Bob Simon’s guest, Rev. Mitri Raheb, an Arab Palestinian pastor in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Bethlehem, (and one of the authors of the Kairos Document) as a “peaceful document.” In fact, the Central Conference of American Rabbis described the Kairos Document as nothing less than “anti-Semitic and supersessionist.”

The time has come for CBS News and 60 Minutes to get their facts straight and not cower before the idol of political correctness, and attempt to appease the Palestinians and the Muslim world. 60 Minutes should instead re-visit its Christians in the Holy Land segment by going to those persecuted Christians who live in fear of their Muslim neighbors and the PA, but cannot openly speak because their lives are in danger. It is a lot easier to blame the Jewish State than face the terror of intimidation of the Muslim world, and CBS 60 Minutes proved it.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Dragon

ishmael is on a distinguished road

In response to David's post, I am sorry to have to agree with it. I, being an Arab, hear horrible things about Jews. Maybe they think I want to hear them. I am sure the same people say lovely things about me also. The point is Europeans never really lost their anti Jewish attitudes they have just gone dormant. With the current economy I think they are waking up. It is easy to Blame immigrants, and minorities that appear to be immune from bad times for the lowering of standard of living. History (Wiemer Germany ) shows this. Jews and the few foreigners in Germany were blamed for a once mighty nation falling on hard times. When I read pre WW2 essays it seems like dejavu to the conspiracy theories I read now. Every crazy notion once mentioned is back.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:54 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation ‘Bible Belt’ County Schools Promote Terrorism Against Jews?

‘Bible Belt’ County Schools Promote Terrorism Against Jews?
Jihadist talking points find their way into classrooms in the American heartland.
by Laurie Cardoza Moore

The Holocaust did not happen in a vacuum. Germans and world leaders turned blind eyes to the growing anti-Semitism in Germany while Adolf Hitler incrementally executed his evil agenda. Despite annual reminders to “never forget,” schools across the United States, and specifically in the State of Tennessee, are once again oblivious to the anti-Semitic rhetoric that has infiltrated our schools.

One such community is Williamson County, Tennessee that sits in the “belt-buckle” of the Bible belt and is one of the 10 most influential conservative counties in the country. One must ask, how could this have happened in a region of the United States that is heavily populated by Evangelical Christians, including Christian educators?

In November 2012, a Williamson County parent was concerned over the content in her son’s geography textbook for his AP Human Geography class. The passage in question is taken from “The Cultural Landscape Curriculum – An Introduction to Human Geography,” under the subject heading, “Why Has Terrorism Increased?”

The author states:
Distinguishing terrorism from other acts of political violence can be difficult. For example, “If a Palestinian suicide bomber kills several dozen Israeli teenagers in a Jerusalem restaurant, is that an act of terrorism or wartime retaliation against Israeli government policies and army actions?” Competing arguments are made: Israel’s sympathizers denounce the act as a terrorist threat to the country’s existence, whereas advocates of the Palestinian cause argue that long-standing injustices and Israeli army attacks on ordinary Palestinian civilians provoked the act.
The “Arab/Israeli” conflict is used as an example of why terrorism is on the rise and the difficulty one has in distinguishing terrorism from acts of violence. The writer suggests through implication that the Palestinians are justified in murdering innocent Israelis because they have chosen terrorism as “their” legitimate right to wage war.

Although the author chose the “Arab/Israeli” conflict, why did he not use 9/11? After all, it is relevant to students’ understanding of the threat America faces in the global war on terrorism.

When applied, the same logic articulated in the textbook legitimizes terror attacks against Jews in Israel as a result of “political violence.” Were the 19 terrorists who attacked the U.S. in general, and Americans specifically, justified because of U.S. policies in the Middle East?

Regarding the recent bombing in Boston, were the terrorists involved justified in attacking innocent U.S. citizens at the Boston Marathon because of U.S. policies in the Middle East, Iraq and Afghanistan?

Not only does the curriculum promote terrorist attacks against innocent Israeli civilians, but it is factually inaccurate. The historic and archaeological evidence of the Jewish presence in the land of Israel dates back almost 4,000 years. Furthermore, the textbook defines Hezbollah and Hamas as “political organizations.” In fact, they are classified as terrorist groups by the U.S. State Department.

A situation arose last year when a high school student in Franklin, Tennessee began to question Israel’s legitimate rights to the land. Upon further questioning, the parents discovered that Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas was at the United Nations in New York City. The Franklin High School Human Geography teacher invited a guest speaker to the class to discuss the Middle East conflict on November 29, 2012, the same day as the UN’s vote on the Palestinian Authority’s non-member state status.

As a result of comments made by the guest speaker, the textbook, the teacher’s comments and additional handouts on the topic, the student assumed that Israel did not have a legitimate right to the land. The parent then questioned another student from the class who stated, “If it weren’t for this class, we wouldn’t know anything about the dangerous Zionist agenda.”

The parents met with the Franklin High School faculty in December to present the concerns articulated in the curriculum and requested that the school take action by providing an alternative textbook that would offer factually accurate information. Not only were their requests denied, they were also insulted when the Williamson County superintendent of curriculum, Tim Gaddis, suggested they were bigots at the close of the meeting.

The Williamson County superintendent, Dr. Mike Looney, repeatedly stated that the parents are taking the quote in the textbook out of context.

However, other Jewish and Christian leaders have also stated that the quote is unacceptable. For example:

Russell D. Moore, president-elect of the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention, says he uses provocative questions to help “teach people how to wrestle through difficult questions and identify motives behind actions.” He said, “I use provocative case studies when teaching ethics.” However, Moore said he believes the passage “crosses a moral line beyond intellectual provocation. The [killing of] innocent civilian Israeli teenagers by terrorist groups is not a morally complex question, it is clearly evil,” he said. “This is compounded by the horrific anti-Semitic violence the world has seen over the last century. If I were a parent of a child in this school system, I would be upset also.”

Mark S. Freedman, Executive Director of the Jewish Federation of Nashville and Middle Tennessee, stated:
It has come to our attention that a textbook currently being used by the Williamson County Schools seeks to balance acts of terror with legitimate political disputes. We are extremely concerned that Williamson County public school students are being led to believe that terrorist acts of Palestinian suicide bombers can be justified as “wartime retaliation” against Israeli government policies. In our view such a question should never have been asked in such an inappropriate manner, as is evidence in this textbook. To create moral equivalency between specific acts of terror and legitimate territorial disputes that are political in nature serves to legitimize wanton and pre-meditated violence against innocent civilian victims.
Arnold Cohen, Chair of the Knoxville Jewish Federation states:
Do not think that your child is protected if they are in a “Christian” or “private” school. This curriculum is being peddled to our children around the state and across this nation. Parents must take action and demand accountability of our educators to remove this type of biased curriculum from our elementary, junior and senior high schools, as well as our schools of higher learning.

The Holocaust did not happen in a vacuum, and in the words of Holocaust survivor, Elie Wiesel, “Indifference to evil is evil.”
Parents of students in Williamson County Schools are calling on the Williamson County School Board to remove the textbook in question and implement stricter guidelines with regard to the selection of curriculum in adherence to the highest achievement standards that parents expect for students in Williamson County.

Tax-paying citizens have made tremendous financial investments to send their children to Williamson County schools. Mistakes such as these are unacceptable. The public should expect nothing less than excellence from all schools and certainly from those employed to produce the next citizens of a free, fair and independent nation.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Dragon

hworta is on a distinguished road

David does have a very valid point. It is not so much that there are so many anti whatever people out there, it is the fact that the people who dislike this group or that group are so damned adament about it. Most people go along with this or say nothing because it will affect their social, professional, and financial lives. I have heard people all throughout my military career justify what Germany did during WWII, I mean flat out say things like the "Jews" had it comming. However in America there are groups of people who oppose this way of thinking, they do so very openly and resolutely. However, my own personal advice would be for people who can immigrate to Israel from America probably should start doing so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David of Galilee View Post
Israel is far less dependent on the US than is imagined in the West or East.

The melting pot of the US is actually very weird to me. It is mostly Europeans who mixed with other Europeans. Racially-based thinking is hardly gone from America, nor is the foreigner's view of America as a melting-pot held in high regard by many Americans. I have lived in both old world and new world Europe, in England, Scotland, and Iceland, and in Hawaii, Oregon, Kansas, and New York. A good percentage of people are good-hearted, lack racial prejudice, and are very tolerant. The opposite is also true--in old Europe or its children. The amount of racial bigotry and anti-Semitism I found in the American heartland--away from NY and LA and other urban areas--was legion. I can pass for white, an dhave almost unaccented English, and thus I heard many things from many people who had no idea I was Israeli. I am sorry to say, that the overseas idealization of America ignores the overriding factor of human nature, which knows no racial, cultural or national boundaries. Knaur, respectfully, you do not seem to know the shear quantity of anti-Semitism in the US. It runs deep in both the pseudo-conservative and the pseudo-liberal world. Europeans did not somehow magically change by crossing the pond. I know and respect many Americans, but it is no paradise of human nature. I could lie and say all kinds of nice things, but anti-Semitism is growing, and is deeply-set in the culture, as it is in the other older part of Europe. It is very deep.

I don't mean to sound insulting to America, but how can I pretend in these increasingly dangerous times? It would be an insult to every decent, moral, God-fearing American I know to suggest that the US is on a higher moral ground than other nations. In fact, most of my many Christian friends in America are so disappointed in their own country these days that they believe that it has sealed its fate by going against God, that the US is under judgement for immorality and the promotion of secular values.

Melting pot?

I'd say the pot is melting . . .
Old 05-10-2013, 04:40 AM
Dragon

It is always important, a moral imperative even, to stress than in all parts of the Great European Cultural spread, from Perm to Perth, Israel does have friends. Mostly individuals, but also some groups. It goes without say, though it should be said anyway, that criticizing a government of a nation is not automatically the same as criticizing the people. Hence the behind-the-scene schmooze is often more important to Israeli diplomacy than the official talks.

For those unsure of what a schmooze is, it is Yiddish from an old Hebrew word for gossiping, reporting, making small talk. At a good diplomatic schmooze we talk about the machers and the mavens, the mamzers, the meshugenahs the mensches, and who is mishpookha. (In English, in order: big movers, experts, bastards, crazies, genuine human beings, and "family"). The schmooze is seen classically when an Israeli prime minister goes to Washington, but spends more time with friendly Congressmen, with Jewish leaders, and being interviewed by sympathetic media (or what is left of it!). Netanyahu, for example, knows that large numbers of American people support Israel, but that the government and US foreign office has been lukewarm-to-hostile historically (even long before Obama, despite conservative Republic rhetoric.)

Why a government should be so distant from the people is a common sad reality around the world. So we acknowledge friends, and rip our slanderers a new one, as the old American saying goes.
Israel Forum