Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Israeli Military Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Israeli Military Discussion Forum GENERAL Topics Relating To Israel & Its National Security, Latest news and Analysis.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:19 AM

concrete_respect is on a distinguished road

Being an Oleh does not prevent you from becoming an officer and you also don't need 100% Hebrew. Obviously you need to speak fluently but you don't need to pass yourself off as Israeli. I have come across a small number of Olim katsinim, in all different units

לכל מקום שנרצה. בכל דרך שנבחר.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Dragon

David of Galilee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete_respect View Post
Being an Oleh does not prevent you from becoming an officer and you also don't need 100% Hebrew. Obviously you need to speak fluently but you don't need to pass yourself off as Israeli. I have come across a small number of Olim katsinim, in all different units
Of course you are an Israeli. An Oleh is an Israeli... Sabra and Israeli are not interchangeable! Without a doubt, from a Torah viewpoint "Jewish" is a nationality. Whatever any foreign nations believe or claim by their laws. Don't forget we were Israelis anciently, and Gentiles erroneously called all "Jews" us after Judea. Even Judeans, at the time of the Divided Monarchy, were still Israelites, just not in the part of Israel that kept that name.

Was David Ben Gurion Israeli? 100% Israeli, though he was born and raised in the Ukraine. And remember that no Jew needs to be naturised to be registered as an Israeli. There is a process, but it involved verifying one's birthright. Sorry to be picky, but Am Isra'el is Am Isra'el, born in exile or in Afula. Secular, legal definitions of other nations do not trump our God-given identity of thousands of years! The whole entire point of Zionism and Israel and the Rebirth is that we are all of Israel, regardless of accommodations to various Gentile host nations, even if we were treated well and made many great Gentile friends.

You are an Israeli--BY BIRTH! You just waited to claim your birthright until recently.

Last edited by David of Galilee; 11-08-2012 at 06:13 PM..
Old 11-12-2012, 01:50 AM

All I meant was your Hebrew does not need to be absolutely perfect, without accent etc

Old 11-12-2012, 05:45 AM
Dragon

David of Galilee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
All I meant was your Hebrew does not need to be absolutely perfect, without accent etc
I have a good Zionist Haredi (yes!) friend from NY who joined up after Aliyah, many years ago. His Hebrew was fluent, but, his accent terrible. He never learned to pronounce the letter Reish, and substituted the English 'R' with unfortunately humourous results. Gutturals non-existent. Khet sounded like Hey. BUT--he became a combat medic, even though he was often the only ultra-orthodox soldier in his unit. Somewhere around his fourth or fifth child, he was released from milu'im (reserves). He got half the guys in the platoon davening (praying) sometimes. Salt of the earth.

His Hebrew was so heavily accented that he had to repeat everything twice, yet his grammar was impeccable. Never hurt him at all.

Dogged determination and hard-core Zionism cannot open every door or smooth every path, but boy do they make a difference to life and acceptance here.

Continued good luck and interesting times in service to you!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:31 PM

Chaim is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the information on becoming an Officer. Thank you Rafi for sharing your personal experiences!

Chaim
Old 12-20-2012, 10:50 AM

TeamAmerica is on a distinguished road

I am a 23 year old American who recently found out that non-jews could join the IDF. I hope I am not too late as my birthday is in may!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Knaur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica View Post
I am a 23 year old American who recently found out that non-jews could join the IDF. I hope I am not too late as my birthday is in may!
Only if they are Israeli citizens.
It is absolutely true in war, were other things equal, that numbers, whether men, shells, bombs, etc, would be supreme. Yet it is also absolutely true that other things are never equal and can never be equal - Maj.Gen. J. F. C. Fuller

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9
Old 02-18-2013, 04:27 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by esther1320664659089155705 View Post
Hello! I am a 16 year old girl.
- I have been thinking about joining the Israeli army after college. I feel as if I should start planning this as I plan my college education because one would affect another
- I am Jewish and I was born in Israel but left(or was forcibly taken out) when I was 1.
- I am in the top in my public school in the sciences and am a motivated student.
- I plan to move to Israel one day
- I'd like to join the army as a medic perhaps, as that is the area where I am sure I can help the most.
- I'm not sure if this would apply to being a medic, but I am physically fit despite not being super athletic though I'm good at endurance running.

I have a few questions.
1) I am currently interested in biomedical engineering research in particular but definitely something related to medical research. Is there any spot in the army which would cater to health research, or any job specifically related to biomedical engineering?
2) I'm not an especially intimidating person. I don't know Hebrew well, though I am planning to learn more extensively on my own this summer with Rosetta Stone, which I have used before. My mother thinks that I might not be able to stand up to the thousands of evil people who undoubtedly live in Israel. Does her worries have any foundation?
3) What do you think about this possible decision, considering the picture I have drawn of myself? Is this a bad idea or good idea?
4) Where may I find more information about the different branches in the army? I couldn't find anything online. Is there any website/person I can email?
Thanks beforehand for any replies!!
Welcome to the board Esther.

If you were in fact born in Israel, you cannot "volunteer" to serve. Under the laws of the State of Israel, as a citizen, you are required to enlist at age 18.The fact that you are living outside of Israel simply means they cannot force the law. So in your case, you simply need to go to an embassy, make sure your citizenship documentation is in order and notify them you are ready to fulfill your obligation as a citizen and serve your country.

The fact that you are interested in serving is a great thing. Do not worry about your size, stamina, or other personality traits that might seem unsuitable for the IDF. Everyone goes in. I always tell people to think about every person they are in High School with serving. That is the exact picture.

Your interest in medicine can be a great thing. Have you worked for a volunteer ambulance? Have you taking CPR courses? Anything that might document your interest in medicine and your pursuit of it will help influence the army to place you qhere you can be happy and do the ost good.

Look at the web site in my signature - not just the forum but the home page. You can find a myriad of information, including specific information for people just like you - born Israeli, far from home now, but willing ot serve.

Good luck.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

scelli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica View Post
What happened to that military career in the US that you mentioned in this posting from almost 5 year ago?

http://www.israelmilitary.net/showpo...6&postcount=14

Old 08-22-2013, 11:11 AM

Carl is on a distinguished road

Excellent and very complete information!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:39 PM

Menachem613 is on a distinguished road
Default Wanting to join the IDF

Shalom,
I'm 33 years old and currently live in the USA.
My wife and I are planing on making Aliyah by next summer.
My question is if it is possible for me to voluntarily join the IDF.
Rabbi Jeremy Gimpel, who is a Sargent major in the IDF, told me that one can join up to the age of 35. Is this correct?
Thank you.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:47 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menachem613 View Post
Shalom,
I'm 33 years old and currently live in the USA.
My wife and I are planing on making Aliyah by next summer.
My question is if it is possible for me to voluntarily join the IDF.
Rabbi Jeremy Gimpel, who is a Sargent major in the IDF, told me that one can join up to the age of 35. Is this correct?
Thank you.
Welcome to the site.

Unfortunately that is 100% incorrect.

Don't wrap the incredible experience of aliyah into a ball surrounded by becoming a soldier. While I have deep respect for all RASARs, he is simply incorrect.

Documentation substantiating this can be found at the MAHAL site linked in my signature, or the Government of Israel website as well.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:07 AM

Menachem613 is on a distinguished road
Default Joining the IDF

Hello Rafi,
Thank you for your reply. I did check the Mahal IDF volunteers site,
There it states that older Israelis and new immigrants can join at practically any age!?
I understand that if I wouldn't make Aliyah that the cutoff age is 23,
But as an olim the situation is different.
That's what I gathered, is this wrong?
Is there absolutely no possibility for me to join the IDF, even after making Aliyah and becoming a citizen?
Thank you again.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menachem613 View Post
Hello Rafi,
Thank you for your reply. I did check the Mahal IDF volunteers site,
There it states that older Israelis and new immigrants can join at practically any age!?
I understand that if I wouldn't make Aliyah that the cutoff age is 23,
But as an olim the situation is different.
That's what I gathered, is this wrong?
Is there absolutely no possibility for me to join the IDF, even after making Aliyah and becoming a citizen?
Thank you again.
I apologize for trying to soften my answer in a manner that become difficult to understand.

As an oleh or as a volunteer in his mid 30s who is not a practicing physician, there is no path, no chance of serving in any role. The most extreme case might see you placed into the "reserve pool", but I would highly doubt it would happen. And there is no actual service via the reserve pool, as opposed to miluim if that is your next question.

Unfortunately the track record here on this site is that you are free to simply reject my answer, seek obtuse exceptions or continue to ask the question until a second person gives you the reply you are hoping for.

It is unfortunate that wearing a uniform has become such a prominent aspect of making aliyah. I realize that is the way it is, and yes, 35 years ago I was no different. But I guess all those years of actually serving, and seeing how the service of non-natives actually plays out has been a damper for me.

Rafi
Old 10-05-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
But I guess all those years of actually serving, and seeing how the service of non-natives actually plays out has been a damper for me.

Rafi
why? what do you mean by this?

Old 10-05-2013, 11:55 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
why? what do you mean by this?

I took my answer off line, please forgive me all.

As always we want to salute concrete respect for his service to Israel.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
I took my answer off line, please forgive me all.

As always we want to salute concrete respect for his service to Israel.
Are you making fun of me? I don't understand

Old 01-04-2016, 04:53 AM

fabrice07 is on a distinguished road
Default How a foreigner can join the IDF

Uhmm. Hi everyone. I'm an 18 year old Nigerian. Is it possible for me to join the IDF? If it is, how do I apply?
Old 01-05-2016, 03:34 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrice07 View Post
Uhmm. Hi everyone. I'm an 18 year old Nigerian. Is it possible for me to join the IDF? If it is, how do I apply?
Thank you for your interest and support.

There is no real direct path for someone interested in serving in the IDF unless their background (religion, community) would be suitable for making Aliyah.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:09 PM

MannyT is on a distinguished road

Reading all this makes me ache. I too wanted to serve in the IDF many years ago. I was a paratrooper in the U.S. Army and had the opportunity to travel through Israel. I had dreams of serving for Israel thinking they would take me in a heartbeat! I never tried, but they're a proud country and they don't ask! It was better not to have tried than be denied by them!! I would have been hurt! Sounds funny but that's how much I love Israel!!!
Israel Forum