Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Israeli Military Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Israeli Military Discussion Forum GENERAL Topics Relating To Israel & Its National Security, Latest news and Analysis.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:42 PM

concrete_respect is on a distinguished road

The health system in the IDF is a mess. Almost nobody can give you a definitive answer to any question. If you're determined to serve in a combat unit (i.e. you wouldn't be happy to serve anywhere else) but you have a less than perfect medical record my advice would be to be very careful about what you disclose. You could find yourself being given a 64 profile where it's not necessary and working as a driver for 18 months.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete_respect View Post
The health system in the IDF is a mess. Almost nobody can give you a definitive answer to any question. If you're determined to serve in a combat unit (i.e. you wouldn't be happy to serve anywhere else) but you have a less than perfect medical record my advice would be to be very careful about what you disclose. You could find yourself being given a 64 profile where it's not necessary and working as a driver for 18 months.
Everything you wrote is valid to a point.

I always return to my primary beliefs, and they are that when the goal of serving Israel is predicated on the issuance of a gun, then you should really examine whether it is Israel you are looking to serve.

There is nothing nobler than wearing an IDF uniform, nothing more connected to becoming an Israeli.

Last I checked, drivers arrive at the Mount Hermon outpost, Gaza crossing and Allenby Bridge each day. They are fully armed, trained in combat and provide a vital link in the maintaining of our defense of Israel. Our borders would be meaningless without them.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:37 AM
Dragon

David of Galilee is on a distinguished road

A friend of mine was born with FMF--Familial Mediterranean Fever, common to Mizrakhi or "oriental" Jews, Levantine Arabs, Turks, etc. It is an inherited disease which gives you a whopping Malaria-like fever with intense stomach and muscle pain for several days a month, with some variation in periodicity. It can go on for years, or fade away by one's mid-30s. He got a very low profile, but in the end they had him cleaning rifles and doing a few other odd jobs for three years. The army found him a job that he could be absent from more than average, yet not affect the overall efficiency of the work place.

The point being that the IDF exists as a citizens defense force, albeit with a professional cadre, and a very sophisticated reserve system, for the sole purpose of keeping the Jewish nation alive and protected for another day, another month, another year.

We don't have a national ethos of battle field glory (as in the French le gloire), we don't declare every man or woman who does something dangerous and brave an adorated national hero, our generals don't wear Jackson Pollock-like displays all over their uniform blouses. We don't have a Fatherland or a Rodina, but rather a place filled with people--and that's what we fight for, the people, our families, our friends, and for a place to put our heads down at night. When we see the Blue & White, it says, "We're Here!" After a long and tiring slog through history, through exiles and returns, the people of Israel are alive.

So I tell my friend with FMF about our fellow Jews from the Diaspora who desperately want to serve, but in only combat units--and wouldn't want to do some menial task. He is 45 or so now, and still suffers severe attacks of fever and pain. He just shook his head and said "אני חושב שזה מצחיק מאוד." [I think that's very funny]

Now I am NOT making fun of anyone, and neither was he. Many sabras also want to serve in combat units. But the Israeli humour in all this is that my friend is the child of Jewish refugees from the Arab world. His philosophy is that you do what you can, and you do what needs to be done. His friends who did go on to combat roles do not look down on him, and he does not look up to them. They are absolute equals. I can't even begin to suggest feelings here about our brothers from the Diaspora who are so gung-ho on something that most of us who live here hate: fighting, battles, uniforms, spit & polish, not getting enough sleep, being away from family.

"We fight because we must" people often have a problem with those who appear to love the idea of fighting. The best way to fit in here is to put the time in, and convince the people around you, by your life and deeds, that Israel is your home, for good or ill, and that you simply cannot live anywhere else, even on the most aggravating day at work or with a bureaucratic office or a noisy neighbour.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:12 PM

Pini is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone! i have been on and off this thread a few times i think. Anyway im just happy to say my giyus to Givati is about three weeks away!
Old 10-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Dragon

David of Galilee is on a distinguished road

מזל טוב!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:24 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Ll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pini View Post
Hey everyone! i have been on and off this thread a few times i think. Anyway im just happy to say my giyus to Givati is about three weeks away!
Please stay in touch when you can. Our prayers are with you.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:07 PM

fromthecitytothebeach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by David of Galilee View Post

The point being that the IDF exists as a citizens defense force, albeit with a professional cadre, and a very sophisticated reserve system, for the sole purpose of keeping the Jewish nation alive and protected for another day, another month, another year.

We don't have a national ethos of battle field glory (as in the French le gloire), we don't declare every man or woman who does something dangerous and brave an adorated national hero, our generals don't wear Jackson Pollock-like displays all over their uniform blouses. We don't have a Fatherland or a Rodina, but rather a place filled with people--and that's what we fight for, the people, our families, our friends, and for a place to put our heads down at night. When we see the Blue & White, it says, "We're Here!" After a long and tiring slog through history, through exiles and returns, the people of Israel are alive.
I am drafting in December and to read this is extremely inspiring so thank you!

I could not agree more with the posts here and other threads. If you want to serve, serve to serve the State of Israel whatever that may be.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:24 PM

Pini is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
Ll

Please stay in touch when you can. Our prayers are with you.
Thanks Rafi! I cant begin to describe how proud and happy i am to serve.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pini View Post
נוב׳ 12 עייפים

Haha. Bahatzlacha.

לכל מקום שנרצה. בכל דרך שנבחר.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 AM

TheZohan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
There is a sizable portion of the officers corp chosen from 12th graders.
Like over 95% of all top positions in the IDF, competition for the best jobs begins around 10th grade. You are slotted based on your High School performance.

Forthose coming over from a foreign country, you are going to be considered as intelligent as your school history, psychological interview and career interview portray you. Obviously those that do this after enlisting - ie. foreigners - can't be very convincing as totheir leadership or technical qualities unless you have solid schooling or college level hebrew.

As Scully has intimated, you did miss the point of my last response. No one is interested in anyone who has an asterisk next to their name. Whoever you are in America (?) right now, that is who you will be in Israel. It only takes a very short time for it to come out.
Suppose one were to go to community college, will the IDF still judge you by your high school performance?

So if one doesn't get the best grades in high school, then goes to community college for 2 years and gets straight A's, will that make up for a lousy performance in high school in the eyes of the IDF?
Old 11-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZohan View Post
Suppose one were to go to community college, will the IDF still judge you by your high school performance?

So if one doesn't get the best grades in high school, then goes to community college for 2 years and gets straight A's, will that make up for a lousy performance in high school in the eyes of the IDF?
If you can sit across the table from the interviewer and explain to him in hebrew that you now have an Associate College degree and have changed your life (it is very common for people to get good grades in college after marginal High School achievement) then obviously having saiid degree would count in your favor.

This would help better position you for those slots not already filled by the High Schoolers who records are available to the IDF when making manpower decisions.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:46 AM

Angry Warthog is on a distinguished road

Just curious, on my Mahal medical questionnaire, it asked whether I saw a psychologist or not. I have indeed seen a psychologist, because I was diagnosed with aspergers and had some concentration problems in school, but I'm not crazy or anything like that. Will this limit me in what I can do in the IDF?
Old 11-02-2012, 02:26 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Warthog View Post
Just curious, on my Mahal medical questionnaire, it asked whether I saw a psychologist or not. I have indeed seen a psychologist, because I was diagnosed with aspergers and had some concentration problems in school, but I'm not crazy or anything like that. Will this limit me in what I can do in the IDF?
The IDF is known world wide as being the most moral army on earth.

If you are asking under what circumstances it is acceptable to lie on your application, I cannot offer you an opinion that will be what you are hoping to hear.

As to what impact it might have on your enlistment and possibilities, won't it be great to be able to explain your history to the interviewer? Just another example of why learning the language they actually speak in the IDF (hebrew) is so important. No one will do these interviews with you in english. No possibility.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:31 AM

LordNerevar is on a distinguished road

Hello

I recently turned 18 and live in the U.S and I have been thinking for some time about joining the IDF. Both of my parents are Israeli and I am a holder of an Israeli passport. I have been looking around on the web for a while now as to how someone in my position would go about the enlistment process but alas i have have not found much if anything at all.

If some one would be so kind as to post some links or some info that would lead to the correct place i would be much obliged.Also on another note, are there any particular deployments someone in my position would be limited to? or do i have the same chance as any other Israeli citizen?

Furthermore I never attended a traditional high-school, growing up religious i attended a Lubavitcher yeshiva . I know that for many Israelis the enlistment process starts in high-school with those who perform better being 'primed' for top positions. I do have a GED but other than that i have no 'grades' or past report cards to show. would i be in any sort of disadvantage as opposed to someone with a high-school education? I also took an interest in computers when i was younger and as a result i am rather proficient at Programming/other computer related tasks. does the IDF have a 'Programmers unit' or other like oriented positions?

finally, I have no illusions of grandeur and would be just as happy peeling potatoes or driving a delivery truck than i would holding a gun and fighting on the front lines.

all responses are appreciated
thank you :)
Old 11-07-2012, 01:14 AM

Chaim is on a distinguished road

Hello Rafi,

I remember reading on one thread in which you were discussing weapon permits in Israel that you had a retired officer's permit. I take this to mean that you are a retired officer (amazing deductive powers right? haha). I am wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing the process that you went through to become an officer. Of course, if you dont want to share this information I totally understand.
I myself have no illusions about a becoming an officer in the IDF or making a career out of it especially because my Hebrew would probably not meet the requirements to become an officer.

Once again, I mean no disrespect I am merely trying to expand my knowledge of the IDF.

Thank you,

Chaim
Old 11-07-2012, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Knaur is on a distinguished road

LordN, Chaim,

Please check the link in Rafi's signature and follow it to get more information while Rafi or someone else comes around to answer your question. Thanks.
It is absolutely true in war, were other things equal, that numbers, whether men, shells, bombs, etc, would be supreme. Yet it is also absolutely true that other things are never equal and can never be equal - Maj.Gen. J. F. C. Fuller

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9
Old 11-07-2012, 06:33 AM

LordNerevar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knaur View Post
LordN, Chaim,

Please check the link in Rafi's signature and follow it to get more information while Rafi or someone else comes around to answer your question. Thanks.
I don't see a link in his sig....
Old 11-07-2012, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Knaur is on a distinguished road

No worries, here you go -

http://www.mahal-idf-volunteers.org/
It is absolutely true in war, were other things equal, that numbers, whether men, shells, bombs, etc, would be supreme. Yet it is also absolutely true that other things are never equal and can never be equal - Maj.Gen. J. F. C. Fuller

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9
Old 11-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaim View Post
Hello Rafi,

I remember reading on one thread in which you were discussing weapon permits in Israel that you had a retired officer's permit. I take this to mean that you are a retired officer (amazing deductive powers right? haha). I am wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing the process that you went through to become an officer. Of course, if you dont want to share this information I totally understand.
I myself have no illusions about a becoming an officer in the IDF or making a career out of it especially because my Hebrew would probably not meet the requirements to become an officer.

Once again, I mean no disrespect I am merely trying to expand my knowledge of the IDF.

Thank you,

Chaim

No problem. I finished up as a Seren. It is a bit difficult to extrapolate the current path to becoming an officer today based on my personal path in the 1970s, and I am at peace with that. I am not certain how I might fare starting out today. I was a text book of exceptions - I came from an Ivy League college, had exceptional vision (20/9 - less than 2% of humans) and spoke hebrew really well. I worked in the Jewish Agency in New York prior to aliyah.

So that is my story, I am sorry there is no lesson here.

Strive to be the best. Officer selection starts by team leaders flaggingthose who are leaders. Not the fastest, strongest or brightest, but the leaders.And that does not mean only those who always come in first. Come in third with someone on yor back, you'll be noticed. Are youthe go to guy for the shoe brush, or whatever - it gets noticed.

My most recent tour, in August 2012 was my last, I am now IAF - ret.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:16 AM

Mazal Tov rafi.

In regards to how you become an officer, from what I understand the process is not too complicated. In the Gdudim there is constantly a shortage of good officers and they encourage good soldiers to go the officers route. Once you finish training you need to do the basic commanders course (4 months) and then you will spend time in the gdud as a lochem and also usually be a commander in haksharah (especially if you express interest in ktzunah). You need a recommendation from your gdud commander to go to officers course before the end of your 3 year mandatory service, and then sign 1 year and 4 months of paid service. You could either be an officer of haksharah (soldiers in training) or in lochemim. In the sayeret the process is slightly different but in the same ball park. Outside of hir (infantry) I don't know how it works.

לכל מקום שנרצה. בכל דרך שנבחר.
Israel Forum