Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Social > World News > Middle East
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Middle East News from the Middle East

Old 02-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Paparock is on a distinguished road
Arrow The Muslim Brotherhood and the Fellow Traveling Left at Slate

The Muslim Brotherhood and the Fellow Traveling Left at Slate
Progressives rise to the defense of a modern-day Alger Hiss
by David Horowitz

David Horowitz was one of the founders of the New Left in the 1960s and an editor of its largest magazine,Ramparts. He is the author, with Peter Collier, of three best selling dynastic biographies: The Rockefellers: An American Dynasty (1976); The Kennedys: An American Dream (1984); and The Fords: An American Epic (1987). Looking back in anger at their days in the New Left, he and Collier wrote Destructive Generation (1989), a chronicle of their second thoughts about the 60s that has been compared to Whittaker Chambers’ Witness and other classic works documenting a break from totalitarianism. Horowitz examined this subject more closely in Radical Son (1996), a memoir tracing his odyssey from “red-diaper baby” to conservative activist that George Gilder described as “the first great autobiography of his generation.”

On Saturday morning, Feb. 12, I gave a speech at CPAC warning of the dangers posed by the infiltration of the conservative movement by the Muslim Brotherhood in the person of Suhail Khan and his sponsor Grover Norquist. Both Khan and Norquist are board members of the American Conservative Union, and both spoke at CPAC. The facts about Norquist and Khan which I discussed in my speech were taken from an elaborate dossier presented to the board of the American Conservative Union and posted on Frontpagemag.com.

Yesterday morning SLATE, which is published by the Washington Post, rose to the defense of Khan. This was reminiscent of the past when liberals defended the Soviet spy Alger Hiss and attacked conservatives like Richard Nixon who were attempting to expose Hiss — a parallel I mentioned in my speech.

Slate’s defense of Khan is typical of the reactions of the soft left — compulsively mislabeled “liberals” throughout the (also mislabeled) “war on terror.” When I organized Islamo-Fascism campus weeks on 100 college campuses two years ago my efforts were savagely attacked by such leading lights of the (also mislabled) democratic left as Joshua Micah Marshall, who produced a satiric video ridiculing my efforts. I am about to launch a campaign this spring to oppose the “Israel Apartheid” weeks organized by the Muslim Brotherhood through its campus front, the Muslim Students Association. I am sure the liberal chorus will be out there defending the genocidal efforts of the Left as well.

Suhail Khan’s defense against the detailed charges against him, only a few of which I was able to mention in my 15 minute speech, is as disingenuous and lame as it has been since the first of these were leveled against him by Frank Gaffney in Frontpagemag.com several years ago.

As in all of Khan’s defenses, he offers no specifics in his statement in Slate and the claims that he does make are false — e.g., I was never a communist, I despised Saul Alinsky when I was on the left and never read his book, and neither Gaffney nor I ever said he he was a member of al-Qaeda. What we said was that in 1995 his father Mahboob Khan held a fund-raiser at a the mosque he founded for Ayaman Zawahiri, the number two man in al-Qaeda. Suhail called me to deny that his father was anything more than a member of the mosque and said he couldn’t remember any fund-raiser for Zawahiri. So I emailed Suhail the Washington Post story which said that Mahboob Khan was a founder of the mosque and had held a fund-raiser for Zawahiri at the mosque in 1995 and asked him to respond. I haven’t heard from him since.

In my speech I made the specific charge that Suhail Khan was a protege of his father and of the convicted terrorist Abdurahman Alamoudi. (Readers can view the video evidence here.) I also charged tht Suhail Khan, along with his patron Grover Norquist, was instrumental in getting President Bush to agree to ban the use of secret evidence in trials of terrorists. This was a campaign launched by the terrorist Sami al-Arian (whose brother, also a member of Palestine Islamic Jihad, was deported on the strength of secret evidence.) Grover Norquist and Suhail used their influence to get al-Arian a face-to-face with George W. Bush who then attacked the use of secret evidence in his campaign and was about to implement al-Arian’s proposed ban when 9/11 took place. Al-Arian who, as the head of PIJ in North America, and its chief financier was responsible for the suicide murders of over 100 people in the Middle East,was also supported in this campaign by the ACLU, The Nation magazine and the American Left. (The ACLU was also one of his chief defenders when he was indicted for terrorist activities and eventually deported.) Suhail Khan has no response to these (or any other) facts because they are true.

The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Asymmetric Warfare It’s not just for the “Other Guys”

Old 02-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow Nonie Darwish what truly empowers the Muslim Brotherhood in her homeland.

To Hate a Woman in Egypt
Nonie Darwish joins Jamie Glazov's video series to crystallize what truly empowers the Muslim Brotherhood in her homeland
by Frontpagemag.com

http://frontpagemag.com/2011/02/16/t...oman-in-egypt/

Welcome to FrontPage Close-Up with Jamie Glazov, a new video series of provocative interviews with the leading thinkers and newsmakers of our time.

Our guest today is Nonie Darwish, the author of Cruel and Usual
Punishment and the President of FormerMuslimsUnited.org.

We ran Part II of the interview in yesterday’s edition.

For Part 3, the final segment, see below:

Stanley Kurtz, the author of Radical-in-Chief: Click Here.

Philippe Karsenty, the French media analyst who exposed the

Mohammed Al-Dura Fraud: Click Here.

Andrew Klavan, world-renowned thriller writer: Click Here.

And stay tuned for upcoming guests:

Courageous Muslim Reformer, Raheel Raza.

Leading scholar of Islam, Robert Spencer.

And many more. . . . . .

http://frontpagemag.com/2011/02/16/t...oman-in-egypt/

Old 02-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow Jimmy Carter says

Jimmy Carter says that group dedicated to "eliminating and destroying Western civilization from within" is "not anything to be afraid of"

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2011/02/ji...rom-withi.html

This is perfectly understandable, given the fact that Carter himself gave four of the best years of his life to the work of eliminating and destroying Western civilization from within: January 20, 1977 to January 20, 1981.

"Carter says Egyptian military likely to obey will of people," by Collin Eaton for the American-Statesman, February 15:
"I think the Muslim Brotherhood is not anything to be afraid of in the upcoming (Egyptian) political situation and the evolution I see as most likely," Carter said. "They will be subsumed in the overwhelming demonstration of desire for freedom and true democracy."
The Muslim Brothers "must understand that their work in America is a kind of grand Jihad in eliminating and destroying the Western civilization from within and "sabotaging" its miserable house by their hands and the hands of the believers so that it is eliminated and God's religion is made victorious over all other religions." -- "An Explanatory Memorandum on the General Strategic Goal for the Brotherhood in North America," by Mohamed Akram, May 19, 1991.

Carter's problem is one he shares with numerous American analysts: he assumes that the Egyptian people are all Jeffersonians in potencia, just waiting for their chance to establish a pluralistic multiparty democracy guaranteeing equality of rights for all. It never seems to occur to him, or to any of the other analysts who assume this, that what one person may mean by "freedom" may be quite different from what another person means by it. It may be -- indeed, it is likely -- that many Egyptians who speak of "freedom" mean freedom to implement Sharia fully in their society, and "democracy" as the means to that end.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow Muslim Brotherhood has role on committee redrafting constitution

Shocker: "Islamist role rising" in post-Mubarak Egypt, Muslim Brotherhood has role on committee redrafting constitution

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2011/02/sh...-redrafti.html

The Muslim Brotherhood begins its own post-Mubarak transition, after deliberately downplaying its religious message during the uprising, waiting to make its move.

They know they have the support of so much of a population that is already highly receptive to a Sharia regime: a poll published just over two weeks ago showed Egyptians at once largely think democracy is the most preferable form of government (59% of participants), but also want to see stonings (82%) and a death penalty for apostasy (84%).

There will be a rude awakening for the many in the West who have come to assume democracy and human rights by any standard they would recognize are a package deal. "Islamist role rising as Egyptians plan victory march," by Sherine Madany and Patrick Werr for Reuters, February 17:
CAIRO (Reuters) - Egyptian youth leaders moved to set up a new political party on Thursday as the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood played an increasingly important role in preparing for post-Mubarak elections promised within six months. [...]
The Brotherhood has a member on the committee redrafting the constitution, is on a council set up by activists to protect the revolution and has said it will set up as a political party as soon as laws are changed to let it and others do so.
The Brotherhood's spokesman appeared on state television a few days ago, a first for a movement banned in the Mubarak era. Having been timid in the early days of the revolt, it clearly thinks it is safe to come out.
And on February 2, it saw its shadow, and there will be six more weeks of stealth jihad the world over...
The Brotherhood is viewed with suspicion by Washington but is seen as the only truly organized bloc in Egypt and reckons it could win up to 30 percent of votes in a free election.
In another sign of the transformation of Egyptian politics, al-Gama'a al-Islamiya (Islamic Group), which took up arms against Mubarak's administration in the 1990s and was crushed by security forces, held its first public meeting in 15 years.
"To serve man":
"Our position is to turn a new page with the new regime," said Assem Abdel-Maged, a group member who spent years in jail for his role in the 1981 assassination of President Anwar Sadat. "We will perform any positive role we can to help society."...

Old 02-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation Brotherhood's 'spiritual leader' preaches in Tahrir Square

Brotherhood's 'spiritual leader' preaches in Tahrir Square

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/20...17/138093.html

Banned Qaradawi returns to lead Friday prayers in Egypt

DUBAI (Farrag Ismael) For the first time since he was banned from leading weekly friday prayers in Egypt 30 years ago, prominent Muslim scholar Yusuf al-Qaradawi will lead thousands in the weekly prayers from Cairo’s Tahrir Square on Friday.

Sources told Al Arabiya that a military force will accompany the head of the International Union of Muslim Scholars from his home to Tahrir Square, provide security for the prayers and accompany him back to his residence.

Al-Qaradawi last delivered a Friday prayer sermon in Egypt in 1981 after the assassination of former President Anwar el-Sadat.

Other prominent Muslim scholars were also banned from delivering the Friday sermon, such as Abd al-Hamid Kishk, Sheikh Mohammed al-Ghazali, and Sheikh Ahmed El-Mahallawi.

El-Mahallawi lately returned to leading Friday prayers during the revolution at al-Qaed Ibrahim Mosque in Alexandria.

Sheikh Qaradawi confirmed in a telephone call with the German Press Agency that he would lead tomorrow's prayers in Tahrir, with hundreds of thousands expected to attend.

Some of Qaradawi's sons and daughters took part the Tahrir demonstrations leading up to the overthrow of the Mubarak.

(Translated from Arabic by Mustapha Ajbaili)

Old 02-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow Muslim Brotherhood-Affiliated TV Clerics Launch Campaign to Replace Egypt's Religious

Muslim Brotherhood-Affiliated TV Clerics Launch Campaign to Replace Egypt's Religious Leadership

Transcript:

Following are excerpts from an address delivered by Egyptian cleric Muhammad Zoghbi, which aired on Azhari TV on February 15, 2011.

Muhammad Zoghbi: Al-Azhar was subjected to a dangerous scheme, which was intended to shatter it and bring it down. This scheme consisted of three aspects: First, the politicization of the positions of the Sheik of Al-Azhar and the Mufti of Egypt, as well as the position of the Minister of Religious Endowments. These positions must be filled through elections. By no means should these officials be appointed by the president. Why? Because this politicization has led the people to lose their trust in Al-Azhar and its sheiks.

[...]

Therefore I say to the "sons" of Al-Azhar: Let us all join the campaign, led by Sheik Khaled Al-Gindi, until we liberate Al-Azhar, just like Egypt was liberated. The liberation of Al-Azhar is even better than the liberation of Egypt, because while Egypt is the mother of the Arab region, Al-Azhar is the mother of all the Muslims on planet Earth. If Al-Azhar gets back on its feet, the entire nation will be back on its feet, and if Al-Azhar is back on track, the entire nation will be back on track. The President of Egypt must be subordinate to Al-Azhar and respect it.

[...]

Therefore, I say to the Sheik of Al-Azhar: You should be above all this. You are like a father to us. We consider you to be a symbol. Place your trust in Allah, and resign immediately.

I say the same to the Mufti of Egypt, so that people won't say that I am addressing only the Sheik of Al-Azhar. The Mufti and the Minister of Religious Endowments should step down, leaving their positions to God-fearing imams, so that Al-Azhar can regain its status of the past, and so that we, just like the youth of the revolution, can say with pride: We, the heroic sons of Al-Azhar, have taken an oath that cannot be broken, and with the Koran in our hand, we will storm all of the land.

Last edited by Paparock; 02-18-2011 at 08:51 PM..
Old 02-20-2011, 02:50 AM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow Saudis withdraw Muslim Brotherhood books from public school libraries

Saudis withdraw Muslim Brotherhood books from public school libraries

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2011/02/sa...libraries.html

While the talking heads and learned analysts in the mainstream media in the U.S. assure the gullible and/or indifferent public that the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt is benign, pro-democratic and harmless, the Saudis know better -- although the perfume is already out of the bottle there. "Extremist books withdrawn from Saudi schools," from Al Arabiya, February 16:
The Saudi Ministry of Education issued a resolution to withdraw from the libraries of public schools several books seen as inciting violence and prohibited book donations without prior approval.

Books accused of having a negative impact on school students like the writings of leaders of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood like Sheikh Hassan al-Banna, the group's founder, and Sayyed Qotb, one of the group's most leading thinkers, the London-based al-Hayat newspaper reported Tuesday.

The ministry announced its plan to conduct regular visits to school libraries to ensure that those and similar books are no longer available for students.

Dr. Mohammed al-Zulafi, former member of the Shura Council, said this step came too late.

"School libraries have always contained books that promote violence and extremism," he told Al Arabiya. "The writings of Muslim Brotherhood leaders have had a strong influence on education in Saudi Arabia for the past three decades."

Zulafi expressed his skepticism about the implementation of the ministry's decision since a large portion of librarians in those schools adopt the very views in the banned books.
"I call upon citizens to take part in implementing this decision. They have to know what happens inside those schools."

Zulafi added that for a long time, extremist books have been flooding school libraries while there were restrictions on art books that talk about arts or the values of tolerance and moderation.

"There are people who support the circulation of those books. Some even print them and distribute them for free without taking into consideration the grave consequences on the students."

Zulafi warned that those books are not only in schools, but also in several other places like doctors' clinics. That is why, he said, there has to be a plan to withdraw them from all over the kingdom.

"If those books are not withdrawn, our youths will end up in Somalia or Tora Bora in Afghanistan because of the extremist ideas they read," he concluded

Old 02-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow The Muslim Brotherhood’s Political Pilgrims »

The Muslim Brotherhood’s Political Pilgrims
The Left's unsurprising romance with Egypt's Islamo-fascists
by Jamie Glazov

The Left’s political pilgrimage vis-à-vis totalitarian monstrosities continues unabated. With the Islamo-Fascist Muslim Brotherhood now poised to share governance in Egypt in the post-Mubarak era, progressives worldwide are salivating with glee. And it’s to be completely expected of course: the Left has a long and eerie tradition of worshiping at the feet of tyrants and terrorists. The Muslim Brotherhood is the ideological forebear of Hamas and al-Qaeda. Its top priorities are to implement Sharia law, annihilate Israel, and purify Egypt from American and Western infections with human blood. Naturally, the Left has now found a new target for a political romance.

The usual suspects are leading the progressive charge: the notorious Obama fundraiser group Code Pink, the Party for Socialism and Liberation (PSL), A.N.S.W.E.R., and the International Action Center (IAC), founded by Ramsey Clark. These leftist groups are now on the frontlines cheering on the Islamists in Egypt as Khomeini-style killing fields loom ominously on the horizon for the Middle Eastern country. Members of the political faith simply can’t contain themselves from worshiping at the feet of tyrants who are set on perpetrating a mass slaughter and are intent on bringing the carnage to America. Anti-American “feminist” Naomi Klein set the tone perfectly a few years back for her comrades when, in a column in The Nation, she enunciated her heartfelt longing for Muqtada al-Sadr’s killing fields to come to New York.

And so, our Radical-in-Chief is unsurprisingly joining in on the Progressive-Brotherhood love-fest, extending his hand of solidarity to the Muslim Brotherhood and giving the Islamist group a green light to share power in a post-Mubarak Egyptian government.

Obama is, of course, just doing what comes naturally to him, as he revealed his own political romance with radical Islam immediately upon taking office. Back in February 2009, for instance, Obama made sure to reward Hamas for launching rockets into Israeli towns and cities by flirting with the terrorist group and announcing plans to place $900 million of American taxpayers’ money into its blood-soaked hands. The president followed up by going on his own political pilgrimage, traveling to the Middle East in April 2009 to bow in front of the Saudi king. The love affair was brought to a climax two months later, in June 2009, this time when the president traveled to Cairo University to address the Muslim world and invited at least ten Muslim Brotherhood members to attend.

To continue reading this article, click here.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:26 AM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood Cleric orders Gaddafi killed

Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood Cleric orders Gaddafi killed

http://www.skynews.com.au/topstories...?id=580641&vId=

Influential Muslim cleric Yusuf al-Qaradawi has issued a fatwa that any Libyan soldier who can shoot dead embattled leader Muammar Gaddafi should do so 'to rid Libya of him.'

'Whoever in the Libyan army is able to shoot a bullet at Mr Gaddafi should do so,' Qaradawi, an Egyptian-born cleric who is usually based in Qatar, told Al-Jazeera television.

He also told Libyan soldiers 'not to obey orders to strike at your own people,' and urged Libyan ambassadors around the world to dissociate themselves from Gaddafi's regime.

Famous in the Middle East for his at times controversial fatwas, or religious edicts, the octogenarian Qaradawi has celebrity status in the Arab world thanks to his religious broadcasts on Al-Jazeera.

He has in the past defended 'violence carried out by certain Muslims.'

The West accuses the cleric of supporting 'terrorism' because he sanctioned Palestinian suicide attacks in Israel. Britain and the United States have refused to grant him entry visas.

The cleric, spiritual leader of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood and longtime resident of Qatar, heads the International Union for Muslim Scholars.

http://www.skynews.com.au/topstories...?id=580641&vId=

Old 02-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow Jordan: Muslim Brotherhood to hold "Day of Rage" to demand reform

Jordan: Muslim Brotherhood to hold "Day of Rage" to demand reform

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2011/02/jo...nd-reform.html

About 10,000 members of the Tiny Minority of Extremists™ are expected to descend upon Amman.

"Jordan: February 25 Day Of Rage, Opposition," from ANSAmed, February 23:
AMMAN (JORDAN), FEBRUARY 23 - A ''Day of Rage'' has been called in Jordan's capital, Amman, for this Friday to ''denounce acts of violence and demand reform''. The opposition made the announcement and hopes to make it the largest demonstration since the beginning of the protests in the Hashemite kingdom in January. ''About 10,000 members of the Islamic movement'' are expected in Amman to ''denounce acts of violence and demand reform'', France Presse was told by Zaki Bani Rsheid, member of the executive committee of the Muslim Brotherhood and main opposition party. Nineteen other parties and groups have made an appeal to protest alongside the Islamic Action Front in the capital and in several governorates in the kingdom....

Old 02-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation Peace treaties between Egypt and Israel null and void

Muslim Brotherhood member:
Peace treaties between Egypt and Israel null and void

http://www.abna.ir/data.asp?lang=3&id=228023

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2011/02/mu...-and-void.html

It does seem unlikely that the Camp David Accords will survive the present upheaval in Egypt. "Israel peace treaties, null and void - Muslim Brotherhood member," from the Ahlul Bayt News Agency, February 24:
A senior member of Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood said there is virtually no peace agreement with the Zionist regime following the recent developments in the country, adding that any treaty not approved by the Egyptian nation must be abrogated.

Kamal Halbavi was speaking to Qudsna when asked about the future of several treaties signed by the former Egyptian regime with the Zionist regime.

The Egyptian nation considers as null and void any agreement between the toppled regime and the Zionist regime which has no respect for justice and rights of the Egyptian people.

He said the world was witnessing massive changes. “People worldwide want to see unjust laws scraped [sic]. It is no surprise for the Egyptians to want the same,” he said.
Halbavi then touched on the dismantling of Berlin wall, adding that following the dismantling, many previously signed treaties were abrogated.

He said the time was over for surrender to treaties which have brought humiliation to the Egyptian nation.

Halbavi also called for permanent opening of Gaza crossing and said the closing of the crossing has been a joint conspiracy by the US, Zionist regime and Mubarak’s regime.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow Egypt: Muslim Brotherhood establishes "Freedom and Justice" party

Egypt: Muslim Brotherhood establishes "Freedom and Justice" party

http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Arti...id=209563&R=R3

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2011/02/eg...ice-party.html

And the learned analysts in the U.S. will say, "See? They're for freedom and justice! Nothing to be concerned about!" "Muslim Brotherhood sits at Egypt’s new democratic table," by David E. Miller for The Media Line, February 23:
The group's new political party, Freedom and Justice, faces an uphill struggle; group has yet to define its positions. The Muslim Brotherhood – which had been the standard bearer of Egypt’s opposition until non-aligned protesters forced President Husni Mubarak out of office this month – is forming a political party, as it seeks to ensure it place for itself in the country’s new democratic politics.

But the new party, to be called Freedom and Justice, faces an uphill struggle. The Brotherhood officially remains banned in Egypt and its leaders declined to detail what its positions will be or even state with certainty whether non-Muslims will be able to hold leadership positions. Analysts say many Egyptians are suspicious of its Muslim agenda....
Suspicious? And yet the Pew survey in Spring 2010 showed that overwhelming majorities of Egyptians want a role for Islam in politics.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow Muslim Brotherhood hails Iran's role in promoting Muslim unity

Muslim Brotherhood hails Iran's role in promoting Muslim unity

http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=8912081371

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2011/02/mu...lim-unity.html

The Iranian regime has warmly praised the revolt in Egypt and called for Islamic rule there. Now the Muslim Brotherhood returns the favor. "Muslim Brotherhood Hails Iran's Role in Reinvigorating Muslim Unity," from the Fars News Agency, February 27:
TEHRAN (FNA)- A senior member of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood, Kamal al-Halbavi, praised Iran's role in consolidating unity and solidarity among the Muslim countries throughout the world.

"Given the recent developments in the region, we need unity among the Muslim countries and Iran can play an important role in this regard," Halbavi said on Sunday, addressing a conference in Tehran dubbed 'Islamic Awakening in Arab World'.

He also called Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad his favorite leaders in the world, and said, "He is the bravest man in the Muslim world and we (in Egypt) need innocent, honest and brave leaders like him."

Halbavi reiterated that the West is opposed to the progress of the Muslim countries and that's why the world powers are against Iran's progress in scientific and technological fields....

Old 02-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow The Left’s Converging Political Misjudgments: Communism and Radical Islam

The Left’s Converging Political Misjudgments: Communism and Radical Islam
The dark history that explains progressives' sympathy for the Muslim Brotherhood
by Paul Hollander

The fall of Mubarak in a country where the Muslim Brotherhood is the strongest and best organized political movement raises the possibility of an eventual outcome similar to that in Iran that followed the overthrow of the Shah in 1979. At the same time, we should remind ourselves that history need not repeat itself: Egypt is not Iran and the Egyptian military may prevent the rise to power of the Brotherhood. But in the event that it comes to power, there is little reason to imagine that it would usher in a system more open, enlightened and liberal than that of Mubarak. Far more likely, it would resemble the repressive theocracy of Iran. While the actual historical and political developments in these two countries may diverge, the similarities between perceptions on the Left of these two historical events, and the part played by political Islam, are already quite pronounced.

Why do people on the Left, and especially intellectuals — often motivated by high ideals and good intentions — so often make poor political judgments, especially about the adversaries of the United States? It is of course always difficult to generalize about entities such as intellectuals. There are no opinion surveys addressed to “intellectuals” as such, hence, we only learn about the attitudes and beliefs of the more prominent among them who have the opportunity and inclination to express themselves in writing or in the mass media.

To be sure, there are surveys of the political attitudes of various professions, including professors, which include a high proportion of intellectuals in the humanities and social sciences. These surveys make clear that most American academics are left of center: “Democrats typically outnumber Republicans at elite universities by at least six to one among the general faculty and by higher ratios in the humanities and social sciences.” A recent study of academic social psychologists found a total lack of diversity in their political views and found them to constitute a “tribal-moral community united by sacred values.” [1] Of course, these attitudes are just as prevalent in departments of English, sociology, anthropology, history and political science as among social psychologists.

The global rise of Islamic radicalism, loosely paralleled by the global decline of communism, provides a new occasion to ponder the political judgments of those on the Left, including many intellectuals. Their observations about Islamic radicalism suggest parallels between their disposition towards the two important political-ideological currents of our times: communism and political Islam. This is not to say that these two sets of attitudes have been the same, but there are some notable similarities as well as differences spelled out below.

By the time of the fall of the Soviet Union, not many American leftist intellectuals were enamored of the Soviet system (or those modeled after it), with the exception of Cuba and, for a shorter period, Nicaragua. Venezuela under Chavez has become a new destination for a smaller group of supporters. One of them, Eva Golinger, became a resident supporter and cheerleader for Chavez, describing herself as “a soldier of this revolution… I would do whatever asked of me for this country.” As the New York Times put it, “Her zeal invokes earlier waves of political pilgrims in Latin America from rich countries like the volunteers who cut Cuban sugar cane in the 1960s or the Sandalistas… who flocked to Nicaragua in the 1980s.” Ms. Golinger has expressed warmth and sympathy toward Ahmadinejad of Iran and Lukashenko of Belarus. She considered the latter a socialist country, not a dictatorship, “where people seemed really into their communal work and stuff like that.” [2]

But even if many members of the Left no longer admired these systems, the attitudes which gave rise to their sympathy and support in the first place were by no means gone. These attitudes were deeply rooted in a highly critical disposition toward American society, disdain for capitalism and commerce, ignorance about “actually existing” communist states, as well as a propensity to chronic moral indignation. [3]

While militant Islamic movements and theocratic Iran shared the anti-American disposition of communist states, their anti-Americanism has been far more intense and irrational than the communist variety due to its religious inspiration. A strong aversion to modernity has further added to hostility to the United States, correctly seen as a major embodiment of modernity. In turn, Islamic movements came to be viewed with a degree of sympathy by numerous American intellectuals and those on the Left, who were convinced of the worthlessness of their own society, and were irresistibly drawn to “the enemies of their enemy.”

It has not been easy, sometimes impossible, to project upon these movements the attributes which earlier attracted many American and other Western intellectuals to communist systems. Unlike the movements and political systems inspired by Marxism, Islamic movements and beliefs are not universalistic, they are openly and demonstratively intolerant and uphold traditional religious beliefs that are alien to secular, leftist Western intellectuals. Islamic societies permeated by Islamic tradition oppress women, hate and mistreat homosexuals, and are beholden to a wide range of rigid religious beliefs and practices, including corporal punishments such as stoning, amputation and beheading. Such attitudes and policies are difficult to accept for progressive leftists who believe in the equality of women and in the rights of people of different sexual orientation and are opposed to capital and corporal punishment. These attributes of Islamic movements and societies have given a pause to some on the Left, but many others have managed to ignore these blemishes, or ascribe them to an authentic cultural heritage that is to be treated with toleration.

In addition to their intense hostility to the United States (greatly appreciated by the native social critics) Islamic movements and the one existing theocratic Islamic state (Iran) also partake of the allure of the Third World. Upon the latter, many Western intellectuals have, for some time, projected their longings and hopes following their partial disillusionment with communist states. [4] The imaginary virtues of the Third World included, above all, a presumed freedom from the corruptions of Western capitalist societies and a corresponding authenticity associated with its traditional, pre-modern aspects. The Third World has received further moral credit from leftist intellectuals and their followers on account of its victimization (real or imaginary) by predatory Western capitalism.

Even a highly oppressive theocracy such as the one established in Iran earned the sympathy and support of prominent American intellectuals such as Richard Falk (of Princeton University) who in 1979 thought that Ayatollah Khomeini was “defamed” by the American news media and believed that he created “a new model of popular revolution based, for the most part, on non-violent tactics;” in his view, Iran was going to “provide us with a desperately needed model of human governance.” [5] Ramsey Clark, an especially embittered critic of U.S. foreign policy and American society, rushed to France in 1979 to meet Ayatollah Khomeni and in the same year also visited Iran to show solidarity with the new regime. In 1986, following the U.S. bombings of LIbya, Clark traveled to Libya once more to show his solidarity to a government hostile to the United States. Clark also volunteered his legal services to the bombers of the American embassies in Kenya and Tanzania, and to Saddam Hussein, among other groups and individuals hostile to the United States. [6] Michel Foucault, the famous French philosopher, was similarly supportive of the Iranian theocracy, observing that Ayatollah Khomeini reflected “the perfectly unified will” of the Iranian people, among other enthusiastic comments. [7]

Somewhat unexpectedly in the wake of 9/11, many of these feelings and attitudes found new expression. Numerous Western intellectuals on the Left used the occasion to aver that the attack was well deserved, and its root causes were to be found in the American mistreatment of Islamic countries and populations and in the exploitative practices of global capitalism headquartered in the United States. As Christopher Hitchens put it, “jihad [became] an understandable reaction to Muslim grievances” and even “a supposed socialist-feminist [Naomi Klein] [was] offering swooning support to theocratic fascists.” [8] Jean Baudrillard and Norman Mailer relished the symbolic punishment meted out in the destruction of the towers of the World Trade Center, symbols of global capitalism.

In May 8, 2006, Noam Chomsky visited Lebanon, meeting Hezbollah leaders and providing them with welcome moral support and political legitimacy. He also expressed strong support (on both Lebanese and Hezbollah television) for Hezbollah keeping its weapons — a position directly contradicting the UN Resolution No. 1559 that called for its disarming. [9] Norman Finkelstein – whose detestation of Israel rivals that of Chomsky, offered at an “Islamophobia” conference in Istanbul his sympathetic understanding of Holocaust denial in the Muslim world and argued that it is used to “demonize” Muslims. He was far less disturbed by these denials than by the alleged “demonization.” Since his parents were Holocaust survivors, he did not deny it. Like Chomsky (his role model) he readily equated the Holocaust and Nazism with the misdeeds of the United States. [10] Lynne Stewart, the radical lawyer represented (and admired) Sheikh Omar Abdul Rahman, who as convicted in 2005 (in spite of Stewart’s efforts) in the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center. Subsequently, Stewart was convicted and sentenced to jail for supporting Rahman’s organization in 2006. She has been an admirer not only of Muslim fundamentalists but also of Mao, Castro and Ho Chi Minh. [11]

Other notable leftist sympathizers with radical Islam include George Galloway, (former Labor member of the British Parliament), Naomi Klein, and the late Edward Said. Ian Buruma and Timothy Garton Ash are distinguished by their shared scorn for Ayaan Hirshi Ali, the Somali-born critic of Islam and former member of the Dutch parliament, who has been subject to numerous death threats. By contrast, they both think well of Tariq Ramadan, the well known Western spokesman of Islamist causes who pretends to be a moderate when addressing Western academic audiences. In his Murder in Amsterdam, Buruma postulated a moral equivalence between alleged Dutch racism and Muslim fundamentalism.
As to the recent responses to the potential rise in power of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, Bruce Riedel of the Brookings Institute in an op-ed advised “Don’t Fear Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood” and Shadi Hamid (also of Brookings) wrote that “Westerners should not lose sleep over the Brotherhood’s inclusion… A pragmatic organization at its core.” [12]

While not even the most bitterly alienated American leftists can easily glorify or fully justify the traditional, repressive and less than fully rational aspects of Islamic political culture (including Sharia law), a number of similarities may be found between their attitudes toward communist systems and those toward radical, political Islam. The appreciation of anti-Americanism and a broader anti-Westernism are not the only similarities. Many Western leftists and especially intellectuals among them have found the collectivism of both communist systems and of Islam appealing given their yearning for community and their rejection of capitalistic competitiveness, as well as their apprehensions about social isolation in Western capitalist societies. They also find attractive the apparent sense of purpose permeating both communist and Islamic societies and movements. The most alienated among American and other Western intellectuals are also drawn to the fundamentalist Islamic rejection of modernity: they too reject many aspects of modernity, namely popular culture, consumerism, moral relativism and assorted social pathologies such as crime, alcoholism and drug addiction.

Authenticity, the unity of word and deed (or theory and practice), is also highly prized by leftist Western intellectuals and their followers and they find a great deal of it among militant Islamic radicals. Indisputably, suicide bombers act out their beliefs, they unite theory and practice, as communist revolutionaries used to a long time ago.

Nonetheless, Western leftist views of the relationship between theory and practice are not consistent, neither as regards communist systems of the past nor the religious-fundamentalist Islamic movements of the present. During the Cold War, leftist peace activists, as well as numerous academic specialists, used to argue that the Soviet Union was not a serious threat because its policies (including those flagrantly aggressive) were largely defensive and not motivated by ideology (by Marxism-Leninism). The West could “do business” with the Soviet Union (and other communist systems) because it no longer pursued a militant, messianic, expansionist policy and because theory ceased to matter, as Soviet leaders became increasingly pragmatic. They further suggested that peaceful coexistence was possible provided the West make a serious attempt to understand the grievances and insecurities of communist leaders – a view strikingly similar to current exhortations to engage Islamic movements and their leaders in a dialogue.

There is a further, striking similarity between the past dismissal of ideology as a force in the conduct of communist systems and the current denials that Islamic religious values and beliefs play a part in Islamic violence although suicide bombers regularly affirm their unshakeable belief in the generous other-wordly rewards that await them. They are confident that putting to death a sufficient number of American, British, Israeli, Indonesian, Iraqi or Spanish infidels – men, women, children and the old, will usher in a better world.

As in the old days, the Left insists that a better, non-judgmental approach will mollify Islamic extremists and radicals – as was hoped to be the case in regard to Communist leaders and ideologues. They believe that adopting conciliatory attitudes and policies will lead to peace, goodwill and rational discourse. It is difficult for critics of the United States and Western values to attribute irrationality to the enemies of their countries and social systems.

Ready attribution of moral equivalence is another similarity between attitudes toward communist systems and radical Islam. As may be recalled, during the Cold War, and especially following the 1960s, it was widely held by leftist intellectuals in the United States (and elsewhere) that there was little to choose between American or Soviet imperialism, between the two corrupt and oppressive super powers. More recently, American and Israeli policies have been equated with, and held responsible for, the violence of Islamic terrorists, who, in this perspective, had no choice but to engage in their campaigns of destruction and violence to draw attention to their grievances.

In the final analysis, it is difficult to quantify the similarities between the two sets of attitudes and misperceptions discussed above. The leftist support for communist systems and ideologies probably greatly exceeded present day sympathy for radical Islam in the same circles. Communist systems – their ideology, slogans, and promises – were easier to idealize than present day Islamic fanaticism, dogmatic rigidity and murderous intolerance. What has been similar is the misperception and wishful misjudgment of both political entities because they meet certain needs and allowed leftist intellectuals to project upon them attributes they valued and could not find in their own society. Most importantly, they have been seen in a favorable light because they shared the hostility toward Western societies and traditions which has animated many leftist intellectuals for several generations.

Paul Hollander is professor emeritus of sociology at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst and associate of the Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies at Harvard University. He is the author or editor of fourteen books, including Political Pilgrims.

Notes: [1]. John Tierney: “Social Scientist Sees Bias Within,” New York Times, February 8, 2011.

[2] Simon Romero: “In Venezuela, an American Has the President’s Ear,” New York Times, February 5, 2011]

[3] Tom Wolfe proposed that indignation was an essential quality of the intellectual “that elevated him to a plateau of moral superiority.” [“In the Land of the Rococo Marxists,” Hooking Up, New York, 2000, p.117.]

[4] Of course some Third World countries have also been communist and therefore all the more appealing, i.e. Cuba, China (under Mao), Vietnam, Nicaragua and others.

[5] Falk quoted in New York Times, February 19, 1979.

[6] Http:/www. DiscovertheNewtworks.org/individualProfile.asp?indid=781

[7] Wesley Young: “The Philosopher and the Ayatollah,” Boston Globe, June 12, 2005. See also James Miller: The Passion of Michel Foucault, Cambridge, MA 2000.

[8] Hitchens in Slate, September 7, 2004.

[9] Zachary Hughes in CAMERA (Committee for Accuracy in Middle East Reporting) , July 20, 2006.

[10] Finkelstein: “Islamophobia and Holocaust Denial” see his ”official website” December 1, 2007.

[11] DiscovertheNetworks.Org cited, indid=861; see also George Packer on Lynne Stewart in New York Times Magazine, September 22, 2002.

[12] Quoted in David Flynn: “Brookings and the Brotherhood” Frontpage, February 19, 2011.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow Brotherhood Leader: Hopes Egypt Will Become Like Iran

Brotherhood Leader:
Hopes Egypt Will Become Like Iran

During visit to Iran, Muslim Brotherhood official praises Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, accuses Israel of "foreign intervention."

A prominent member of Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood this week became the first member of the Islamist group to visit Iran, where he praised Tehran’s leadership and denounced Israel.

The New York Post reported that Kamal El Helbawy – a London-based Islamic scholar and Brotherhood representative widely known as the movement’s face in the West – told his hosts he wished to see Egypt become, like Iran, “a true Islamic state.”

“Egypt and the world of Islam as a whole need leaders like President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad,” he said, and “should join a new world order with Iran and Venezuela, plus Hezbollah and Hamas to chase away the Americans.

“Every night when I go to bed, I pray to wake up the next day to see Israel is wiped off the map,” the Brotherhood leader reportedly said.

Last month, during protests to oust Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, Helbawy told Iran’s Al-Alam television network, “The only foreign intervention in this revolution is that of Israel. They destroyed the gas pipeline, so that the revolutionaries would be accused of using explosives. No one would accept a destructive Iranian role in Egypt, or elsewhere. We think highly of a country whose president is important, courageous and has a vision.”

Old 03-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow Young Members of Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood Call for 'Revolution' Within the Movemen

March 9, 2011
Special Dispatch No.3654

Old 03-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation The Muslim Brotherhood’s Quest for World Domination

Old 03-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow The Latest Human Sacrifices to the Islamist Death Cult »

The Latest Human Sacrifices to the Islamist Death Cult
The Fogel family tragically meets the same fate as the victims of other child-killing totalitarian movements.
by Stephen Brown

“We have discovered how to hit the Jews where they are most vulnerable.

The Jews love life, so that is what we will take from them. We are going to win, because they love life and we love death.”

- Hassan Nasrallah, Secretary General of Hezbollah
Islamist murderers put their evil philosophy, as outlined by Nasrallah, into practice once again on Saturday when they murdered a Jewish family of five in Itamar, a West Bank settlement. Besides the father and mother, three of their six children, including a baby of three months, were stabbed to death. The ages of the other two offspring were 11 and three-years old. The monsters of nature who committed this attack are still being sought.

“This is one of the most brutal attacks we’ve ever seen,” said an Israeli army officer, adding the children “were literally slaughtered.”

Israel, naturally, is shaken by the attack, especially over the fact a three-month old baby was killed in such brutal fashion. The baby murder was called “something new,” even for a country that has experienced such a high level of Islamist terror attacks over the past decade. Many are left stunned, both inside and outside of Israel, struggling to make sense as to how anyone could slaughter a helpless, three-month old babe so cold-bloodedly.

The answer to this frightening question is to be found in the progression of Islamic terrorism. Rather than an anomaly, killing children and babies is actually the natural next step in its dark development. In her book, Death Orders: The Vanguard of Modern Terrorism in Revolutionary Russia, Anna Geifman, a professor of history at Boston College, explains the background of this disturbing evolution, saying the basis for all modern terrorist movements, especially of the three best known ones — Communist, Nazi and Islamic — is thanatophilia, or worship of death.

Like Nasrallah, the Islamic terrorists themselves do not hide the fact they are death worshippers and have often been explicit in their statements that they love death like Westerners love life. Geifman quotes Ali Benhadjj, the Islamist leader of Algeria, concerning what this violent, anti-life philosophy of hatred looks like when its followers put it into practice.

“Faith is propagated by counting up deaths every day, by adding up massacres and charnel-houses,” Benhadjj vividly stated.

The Soviet newspaper Pravda was just as explicit about the end result of the Communist death cult when it stated in 1920: “Those who replace us will have to build on the silence of the graveyard.”

The slaughter of the Israeli family on Saturday was actually more an example of thanatophilia than a political act. The five dead innocents were simply the latest blood sacrifices to the Islamists’ God of Death. Geifman writes that similar to the Islamist thanatophiles were the Thugs in nineteenth-century India who murdered thousands of unsuspecting travellers as human sacrifices to their death goddess, Kali.

But it is in the killing and sacrificing of children and babies to their pagan god that these practitioners of hatred truly revel. Children are targeted by the death worshippers because they are the essence of life and God-like in their image and innocence. The life-giving center of every family and community, they thus make a more worthy death offering to the Islamist Kali. Geifman cites the terrorist takeover of the school in Beslan, Russia, in 2004, in which 186 children were murdered, as an example of this targeting of children for sacrificial purposes.

Moreover, love of children and their uniqueness is deeply imbedded in the Jewish and Christian tradition. So special are they that Jesus offers them his protection in the New Testament and severely warns those who would harm them. All of which is the opposite of everything the Islamists stand for, who, as detesters of Jesus’s message of love, strap bombs on their own children and send them out to blow themselves, and others, up.

Since children are the objects of so much love and the wellspring of present and future life, the Communist, Nazi and Islamist death cults eventually felt compelled to kill them if they were to establish their “silence of the graveyard.” Geifman said that in the Beslan massacre, in which the Islamist terrorists deliberately shot four-year olds in the back as they ran away from the inferno of their burning school, “the death-worshippers took their sacrificial destruction to a whole new level.” In his book, Chechen Jihad: Al-Qaeda’s Training Ground and the Next Wave of Terror, author Yossef Bodansky noted that one of the infants killed at Beslan was a baby who, like in the Israeli case, an Islamist terrorist savagely stabbed to death.

To satisfy their reverence for death, the Communists and Nazis also became noted baby killers. Margarete Buber-Neumann, a former inmate of the Nazi women’s concentration camp Ravensbruck, wrote in her book Milena: The Story of a Remarkable Friendship, that all newborns in the infirmary were immediately drowned after birth in a bucket of water by a Nazi nurse.

The communist Khmer Rouge were probably the most sadistic of the death cultists in their treatment of children, as they were in most other things. The 2009 trial of Duch, the former teacher who ran the feared Tuo Sleng prison where 14,000 people were murdered, revealed that children arriving at this death factory were not even properly processed or photographed, as all other prisoners were, before they were killed. Unlike the other inmates, the tragic deaths of these poor innocents, whose number is estimated at 2,000, went unrecorded. Babies were disposed of, the trial learned, by guards simply smashing their heads against trees.

Sadly, the recent baby murder in Israel will probably not remain “something new.” But it does serve as a warning as to where future Islamist terrorist attacks, both inside and outside of Israel, can be expected. In areas of Islamist terrorist activity, schools and maternity wards should be well protected, since in the Islamist death worshippers’ world view, there is definitely no room for new life.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation Courting the Brotherhood in America

Courting the Brotherhood in America
Deputy National Security Advisor speaks at ISNA-tied mosque
by Ryan Mauro

The Obama Administration reacted to Rep. Peter King’s hearings on Muslim radicalization by highlighting examples of Muslim cooperation with the government. Unfortunately, it sent Deputy National Security Advisor Denis McDonough to speak in support of the president of the Islamic Society of North America, a group tied to the Muslim Brotherhood that is one of the reasons that King’s hearings are necessary.

On March 6, McDonough spoke at a mosque called the All Dulles Area Muslim Society in Sterling, V.A., praising the institution and its imam, Mohamed Magid, who is also the president of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA). Though the organization says it “rejects all acts of terrorism, including those perpetrated by Hamas, Hizbullah and any other group that claims Islam as their inspiration,” ISNA was listed by the federal government as an “unindicted co-conspirator” in the trial of the Holy Land Foundation, a charity found guilty of financing Hamas as part of the Muslim Brotherhood network in the U.S. ISNA has fought against this label and lost. In July 2009, a judge ruled that though the government should not have publicly labeled the organization, “ample evidence” was provided to tie it to Hamas. It was founded by the Muslim Students Association, a Brotherhood affiliate, and one of the Brotherhood’s internal documents from 1991 identifies ISNA as one of its fronts. Sami al-Arian, a Brotherhood operative later imprisoned for being a secret leader of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad, is one of its co-founders. During the Holy Land trial, it was learned that the charity received checks written out to “the Palestinian Mujahadeen,” a reference to Hamas’ military wing, from accounts jointly owned by ISNA and the North American Islamic Trust. Despite all of this, McDonough praised Magid and ISNA.

“Thank you (Imam Magid), also, for being one of our nation’s leading voices for the values that make America so strong, especially religious freedom and tolerance,” McDonough said. He specifically mentioned his work with ISNA as something to be commended. Magid is also thanked for advising the government.

“Over the past two years, I—along with my White House colleagues—have benefited from the advice of many of your organizations through our Office of Public Engagement,” he said.

McDonough’s embrace of ISNA is just the latest example of the group’s relationship with the federal government. In 2007, Mohamed Magid traveled to the Middle East as part of the State Department’s Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs’ Citizen Exchange Program. This happened even though he served as an advisor for the Sterling Charitable Gift Fund whose offices were raided as part of a terrorism-financing investigation into the SAAR network.

The offices of the All Dulles Area Muslim Society were also raided in March 2002 with good reason. As Ben Johnson outlines, the former chairman of the mosque, Ahmad Totonji, used to be the Vice President of the International Institute of Islamic Thought, another Brotherhood group. The mosque’s legal counsel was also the attorney for Brotherhood operative Abdurahman Alamoudi who is now in jail on terrorism-related charges. Totonji also served as the co-founder of the Muslim Students Association and the World Assembly of Muslim Youth, whose offices were raided in 2004. He also has ties to Louis Farrakhan.

Shortly after the raids on ADAMS, Mahid put together an event for “community building” that included various Muslim Brotherhood figures, including the Executive Director of the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR), Nihad Awad. He has vocally supported Hamas, was an official in the Hamas-financier Islamic Association of Palestine and according to the government, he is a member of the Muslim Brotherhood’s secret Palestine Committee in the U.S.

Awad took part in a secret meeting in 1993 where deception was mentioned as an important part of the Brotherhood’s strategy in the U.S. and like ISNA, CAIR was also labeled as an “unindicted co-conspirator” in the Holy Land trial. The FBI later cut off ties to CAIR for this label but continued using ISNA for outreach to the American-Muslim community. This relationship continues despite the extremism promoted at ISNA conferences. For example, on January 15, ISNA had a Diversity Forum Banquet that included Siraj Wahhaj and Zaid Shakir as speakers, two preachers that have a well-documented history of spouting extremism. In July 2009, President Obama’s Senior Advisor for Public Engagement and International Affairs, Valerie Jarrett, spoke at ISNA’s annual conference. At the same exact event, one of the speakers was Imam Warith Deen Umar, the former New York prison chaplain who was fired for praising the 9/11 hijackers as “martyrs” to prisoners. He also referred to U.S. soldiers as “pigs” and called on Muslims to fight the enemies of Islam. As far back as the 1980s, an FBI document stated that ISNA’s conferences “provided opportunities for the extreme fundamentalist Muslims to meet with their supporters.”

If the government wants to bring attention to Muslims who fight against extremism, it shouldn’t be applauding an organization like ISNA that it has labeled as an “unindicted co-conspirator” in a terrorism financing trial. ISNA may not have been convicted of a crime but as ruled in 2009, it can be tied to Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood. It continues to give speaking slots to extremists like Siraj Wahhaj and Zaid Shakir and isn’t fighting to discredit the ideology of preachers like Sheikh Yousef al-Qaradawi.

The government does no favors to the country or to the Muslim community by advertising ISNA as an organization worthy of support.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow Egypt: Christians vote no on constitutional amendments: "these amendments serve the B

Egypt: Christians vote no on constitutional amendments: "these amendments serve the Brotherhood's ideology"

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2011/03/eg...ds-ideolo.html

"It is widely assumed that quick elections would give an advantage to the well-established Muslim Brotherhood." I tried to tell you.

"Many Egypt Christians vote 'no', fearing Islamists," by Sarah Mikhail for Reuters, March 20:
CAIRO (Reuters) - Many Egyptian Christians say they voted on Saturday to reject proposed constitutional amendments in a referendum because they fear hasty elections to follow may open the door for Islamist groups to rise to power.

If the amendments are approved, parliamentary elections will take place in late September followed by presidential elections in December, giving scant time for new parties to organise, including ones representing the aspirations of Christians.

Foremost among these aspirations is the creation of a civil state where religion is not a basis for legislation.

It is widely assumed that quick elections would give an advantage to the well-established Muslim Brotherhood, a group founded in the 1920s which has emerged as the best organised political force since Hosni Mubarak was toppled from power.

"I fear the Islamists because they speak in civil slogans that have a religious context, like when one said he believed in a civil Egypt but at the same time no woman or Copt should run for president," said Samuel Wahba, a Coptic doctor....

Coptic Christians also want the new constitution to do away with Article 2, which says Islam is the religion of the state and Islamic jurisprudence the main source of legislation -- a point of tension with Islamists....

"I see we should say 'no', because such amendments are not valid to build a modern civil state. That isn't our opinion alone but also that of any moderate Egyptian who wants a civil state," said Father Metyas, a priest in a Coptic Orthodox Church.

"Anyone is free in one's opinion, but our role as those responsible for enlightenment is to tell people that these amendments serve the Brotherhood's ideology," he said.

Egyptians took pride in the Christian-Muslim solidarity displayed during the revolution that toppled Mubarak on February 11 and hoped the uprising had buried tensions that have flared up with increasing regularity in recent years.

But these feelings were dampened in March after an interfaith romance sparked the torching of a church by Islamists, which led to sectarian clashes leaving 13 people killed.

Copts staged an unprecedented sit-in for nine days in front of the state's television building demanding the destroyed church be rebuilt. Some Muslims also joined in.

"I voted 'no' because, as an Egyptian, I want a new complete constitution...it's not based on the 'yes' of Islamist groups," said Ramy Kamel, a Coptic lawyer.

Israel Forum