Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Social > World News > Middle East
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Middle East News from the Middle East

Old 09-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Paparock is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Middle East Reality

My Middle East Reality
The world must be alerted to the endemic Jew-hatred that unites the region
by Magdi Khalil

Recently, I made a visit that was specially arranged by the Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI) to the Holocaust museum in Washington. It was my first visit to the Museum as I usually try to avoid coming face to face with the barbaric acts that humans commit against one another, and would rather just read the historical accounts.

However, my friend Yigal Carmon, founder and president of MEMRI, convinced me of the importance of such a visit, since the Copts in Egypt are being subjected to a widespread culture of hatred similar to what the Jewish people had experienced in the past in Europe.

While the docents who accompanied me proceeded to explain about the different sections and paintings at the Museum, I let my imagination run free. I delved deeper into the events of the past, letting History itself and the victims speak to me, and in that process I reached a more profound and relevant understanding. I wondered: what could possibly make the Nazis exterminate about six million Jews in the most horrifying genocide in contemporary history? I could hear History answering me back: “Just one word, my friend: hatred.” The Supreme Court of Canada has recognized this truth, stating that “the Holocaust did not begin in the gas chambers, but with words.” As hatred gives birth to violence, in turn violence gives birth to crime; and the more vicious the hatred the more horrendous the crime.

I occasionally listened to the testimonies of Holocaust survivors that were broadcasted on screens found in the different levels of the museum. But History once more spoke and captivated my attention. “Come,” it insisted, “listen to the victims speak for themselves, those are the ones who can tell you about things that no one else had witnessed.” So I listened to Daniel, David, Jacob, Elijah, Moses, Cohen, Isaiah, Rachel, Deborah, Miriam, Hannah and Diana. They each told me about their last hours as they encountered a cruel and dreadful death. Some of them met death in labor camps, some in the overcrowded trains that were transporting them to places of execution, some in concentration camps, others in gas chambers, some were buried alive along with thousands of others in Jewish ghettos, while some were shot standing in line waiting to be killed — painful and horrifying stories that expose an appalling human brutality and ruthlessness. They spoke of the international community that failed them, neither offering protection nor refuge. They told me of the doors that were shut in their faces, irrevocably sealing their fate. They explained how they became the focus of a wave of hatred that infected Europe, spreading from one place to another like a deadly virus.

The one thing that gave me a measure of comfort after listening to the victims were Daniel’s words: “Write down what you hear from us so that humanity may avoid a repeat of that tragedy. We now dwell in a place of comfort and happiness, and the only reason we are telling you our story is to help mankind avoid similar disasters.” After being overwhelmed with grief at the atrocities that were revealed to me, I found real comfort in the fact that the victims of those atrocities had found happiness in the next life.

I came back to my own reality, and my own corner in the world in the Middle East, and I found the hatred against Jews had in fact changed places from Europe to the Middle East. In the Nazis’ era, the hatred against Jews was a state policy and a general culture. However, the hatred they face in the Middle East is much more dangerous, as it has morphed into some kind of human instinct and a religious culture. From a very young age, children are being fed hatred against Jews with their mother’s milk, inheriting it along with their genes. The sermons taught in mosques proclaim that the end of the world will not happen unless Muslims kill every single Jew, claiming that even the trees and rocks will call upon Muslims to kill the Jews taking shelter behind them. On the International al-Quds Day which was celebrated on August 17, 2012, Mr. Hassan Nasrallah[1] brazenly stated that “our struggle with the Zionist enemy is a matter of religion and doctrine,” which suggests that Mr. Nasrallah and his Islamist friends see no other solution except the complete eradication of the Jewish people. The Jewish State is surrounded by hate from all corners, caught in between terrorist organizations and states like Hamas, Hezbollah, Iran, Sinai and soon Al-Qaida in al-Golan.

In my own reality, I watched in the span of six months three highly popular TV series in the Arabic region. The last of these series was broadcasted on more than a hundred Arabic TV channels in the month of Ramadan, and starred the famous Egyptian actor “Adel Imam.” The series pictured Jews in a very negative light, and championed the idea that it is permissible or halal to rob them, as the main character and his gang stole $200 million from an Israeli bank and gave them to the Muslims in Somalia… So now it is acceptable to steal from Jews as well as to kill them!

In my Middle Eastern reality, there are tens of thousands of mosques that demonize and curse Jews on a daily basis. The formal Islamist speech describes Jews as the progeny of monkeys and pigs, and hundred of articles are daily promoting hatred against Jews. Our newspapers and books are filled with fairy tales based on a hoax called “The Protocols of the Elders of Zion,” claiming that Jews go around slaughtering Muslims and Christians to use their blood in the making of the Passover bread. In our region, people hate one another, fight with one another, and disagree about everything, except their common hatred of Jews and Christians. In our region, heads of state proclaim that the total annihilation of Israel is their goal, and that once they have possession of nuclear bombs, Israel will be their first target. In our region, the hatred against Jews has taken the shape of artistic, cultural and political festivals. In our region, they deny the Holocaust happened even though there are thousands of eye witnesses who are still alive today, while those who admit that it did happen say that Hitler’s only mistake was that he did not manage to get rid of every single Jew in the world. In our region, Jews have been spared only because their opponents lack the ability to eradicate them. In brief, our region is infected with a curse of excessive hatred and violence, which is increasing exponentially and is about to be unleashed on the world.

In spite of the Holocaust tragedies, I still found a light at the end of the tunnel. While it is true that Jews have decreased in number as a result of the Holocaust, they have also increased in strength. They returned from the Diaspora and established their national state on their historical land—a powerful, progressive, modern and democratic state. The progeny of the prophets emerged from the Holocaust to contribute to human rights advocacy, and to promote the rights of minorities and freedoms throughout the world. They shared in efforts that resulted in hundreds of UN international human rights conventions, and contributed to the scientific, cultural and artistic revival of the Western World.

The great Jewish nation has created a new history after the Holocaust.
But the lessons learnt from the Holocaust should make us revisit our reality in our corner of the world. The extremist Islamist movements have started to tighten their control over the Middle East, and a few years from now the Middle East will be turned into an angry Islamist Middle East, hostile to the Jews and Christians who live in the region.

I want to alert the world to the fact that the hatred against Jews and Christians has reached its peak in the Middle East, and that both groups are facing a common enemy, which is growing Islamist extremism. Will the world intervene to protect and save us before we become the victims of a new tragedy? This is the message I would like to address to the global conscience.

Notes:
[1] Secretary General of the Lebanese political and paramilitary organization Hezbollah, which is generally regarded as a legitimate resistance movement and political party throughout much of the Arab and Muslim world, but is considered a terrorist organization by the United States, Israel and other Western countries.

The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Asymmetric Warfare It’s not just for the “Other Guys”

Last edited by Paparock; 09-20-2012 at 04:26 PM..
Old 09-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Lightbulb

Last edited by Paparock; 09-21-2012 at 03:52 PM..
Old 09-23-2012, 11:28 AM

ashdoc is on a distinguished road

Muslims compulsively need to find enemies everywhere---whether in the indian subcontinent ( hindus ) , in the middle east ( jews ) or across the world ( christians ) .

If no one else in available they find them among themselves---like more liberal muslims or sects like shias or ahmadis .
Old 11-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation Middle East Burning

Middle East Burning
The real war is much bigger than Gaza
by Daniel Greenfield

Print This Post

It is in the nature of the media beast that anything that happens in or around the Jewish State gets far more attention than anything that happens throughout the rest of the region. Israel has also created a safe zone for reporters. It is one of the few places in the Middle East where reporters can write what they like without having to worry about receiving a visit in the middle of the night and a ride inside the trunk of a black car.

But the time-honored obsession with Jews, which even the stiffest BBC or Guardian correspondent isn’t immune to, may also be a factor. Far more people recognize Sabra and Shatila than Hama, and if Assad survives, his current killing spree will quickly fade into distant memory by those who will go on invoking Deir Yassin as if it happened last week. No one would buy a book complaining about the Norwegians or the Syrians; and the same goes for the news stories that the media chooses to run on a daily basis.

But the media’s myopic focus on Israel also distorts the coverage of the region. Like Pavlov’s dogs, reporters reflexively reduce the Middle East to a conflict between Israel and the Arabs, Jews and Muslims, the people that they hate and the people that they like. Asking them to cover anything more complicated than that is also asking them to do too much.

The press handled the Arab Spring by resorting to a simple narrative of dictators and rebels. Now that the rebels have become the dictators, the men and women of the press in their pressed khakis have no idea how to cover them. Syria, where Sunnis and Shiites keep killing each other, is even more baffling to them. Even after all the revelations about the Free Syrian Army, the massacres of Christians and the flights of refugees escaping the Islamist militias, the press strains to return to its old comfortable narrative of brave rebels resisting a vicious dictator.

But dictatorship is a permanent feature of life in the region. And it doesn’t matter much whether a new tyranny is reached through the ballot box or the bomb. The media is unable to reach beyond its simplistic narratives to see that it isn’t merely Gaza or Syria that are burning, but the entire Middle East.

The flames of the Middle East have been lit by a larger regional struggle that has been going on, in one form or another, for generations. It’s not a struggle over big ideas, but over very little ones. Even the fighting between Sunnis and Shiites has its roots in a simple tribal dispute between the family members and successors of Mohammed. Much of the rest of the fighting comes down to equally crude tribal power struggles, which when stripped of their rhetoric, are reduced to battles over racial rivalries and clan ambitions.

After the Arab Spring, the Middle East is far more polarized and on edge than ever. A Post-American Middle East has become a much more dangerous place with little to keep Sunnis and Shiites from battling to the death over the region.

Obama’s premature withdrawal from Iraq tipped that country into the Shiite camp, next to Iran and Syria. Not satisfied with that, his intervention in the Arab Spring tipped Egypt, Libya and Tunisia into the Sunni Islamist camp. Both sides are now playing for Syria, in what is being described as a rebellion, but is actually a repetition of an old religious war.

The Syrian Sunni Jihadists and the Syrian Alawite government are proxies for the larger Shiite and Sunni powers hoping to remake the region in their own image. Whichever one of them wins, the conflict will be far from over. Wars never really end in the Middle East, except with massacres, and as long as there are any survivors left, then the old rivalries will flare to life again sooner or later.

The Muslim world is not terribly good at fighting wars. Certainly not wars of the modern kind. But it is quite good at supplying insurgencies and finding bands of fighters willing to engage in hit and run attacks. With many of the insurgents and factions switching sides more often than the wind changes, all the elements for an endless war are already in place.

Sunni and Shiite militias are already pouring into Syria. But Syria is only the appetizer for the main dish on the menu. Iraq. During the Iraq War, Syrian fighters were crossing into Iraq. These days’ Iraqi fighters are crossing into Syria. But it can just as easily switch around again. A decade of wars has built up a sizable reserve of Jihadists eager and willing to go anywhere for a fight.

Iraq has a sizable amount of oil wealth and is a much sweeter prize than Syria. And despite the media’s refusal to cover anything that doesn’t have the word “Israel” in it; the Iraq War never ended. Instead Maliki is uncomfortably at odds with the Sunnis and Kurds, and the real fighting is likely to begin soon enough, even not counting the usual bursts of Al Qaeda terror.

Iraqi Jihadists found their way to Libya during the Benghazi attack. Now Libyan Jihadists are headed over to Syria. If Syria dies down, they will move on to the next conflict. This reserve of fighters, funded by oil money, is the single biggest development in the region. Each war inflates their totals and their availability starts new wars.

The media insists on trying to see regional developments through the familiar lens of democracy, but in a region separated by inflexible differences, democracy is only another tool of power, no different than the suicide bomber or the massacre. Democracy in the Muslim world is nothing but a means of majoritarian supremacy, not a new stage of moral and political development.

Through a Western lens, a democratic election is a form of progress, but through an Eastern lens it is a means for the majority to assert its power over the minority, leaving the minority with few options but to flee or turn to violence. That is what we have seen throughout the region after the Arab Spring.

Democracy in the Middle East is not a sign of progress, but a precursor to violence, which is exactly what is coming about in Egypt and Tunisia. An election, like a suicide bombing, is a warning that a power struggle has broken out and that the outcome will not be pretty.

The Middle East is burning and the bright flares of the rockets rising over Gaza are only sparks of a hotter flame. The flame is meant to fill the power vacuum left behind by a decadent American policy of soft power. And rather than calming the Arab Street, Obama’s Post-American policies have lit its fuse and set it to blow.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation U.N. ignored Israel's repeated pleas to act against Hamas rockets, then rushed to sto

U.N. ignored Israel's repeated pleas to act against Hamas rockets, then rushed to stop Israel's self-defense

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2012/11/un...self-defe.html

http://www.unwatch.org/cms.asp?id=3614958&campaign_id=63111

What a surprise. "Hypocrisy exposed: U.N. ignored Israel's repeated pleas to act against Hamas rockets, then rushed to stop Israel's self-defense," from UN Watch, November 22 (thanks to Blazing Cat Fur):
GENEVA, Nov. 22 -- Although this past week saw U.N. agencies and high officials rushing to intervene the moment Israel began to defend its civilian population from hundreds of Hamas rocket attacks, letters published by UN Watch show that the same U.N. actors repeatedly turned a blind eye while Israel pleaded for action.

Russian ambaasador Vitaly Churkin, who for nearly two years now has blocked any U.N. Security Council action to stop the Syrian regime of Bashar al-Assad from murdering more than 30,000 of his own people, lashed out this week at "procrastination on Gaza."

In reality, it has been the procrastination, indifference and inaction of Russia and its Security Council allies that gave Hamas the green light to bomb Israeli civilians, finally prompting Israel's belated response.

On at least 20 separate occasions this year, the Israeli government turned to the U.N. concerning Palestinian rocket attacks, in identical letters sent to Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the Security Council.

Israel urged the United Nations to act, and, at a minimum, to speak out and condemn the attacks.

“Inaction today could help ignite an escalation of conflict tomorrow,” Israel warned, while exercising astonishing measures of restraint that no country facing a similar onslaught of rockets has ever shown. Yet we are unaware of any U.N. action taken in response....

Old 11-26-2012, 03:22 AM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow America’s Middle East Lost

America’s Middle East Lost

http://sofrep.com/13991/americas-middle-east-lost/

America has lost significant sway in the Middle East, and American influence will continue to erode with Russia and China taking their turns at center stage.

In the wake of two Gulf wars, several failed puppet regimes (including the 1979 Iranian Revolution), add the Arab Spring into the mix, and you get an America finding itself without a chair when Bashar Moussa stops singing.

The SOFREP editors and I follow the mainstream media as closely as they’re following us these days. I’ve personally come to follow Al Jazeera, as it has the unique advantage of understanding the Middle East and Muslim culture in a way western media cannot. I’ve been tracking their stuff for some time now, the following article and video are very insightful, and I wanted to share it with you guys.

Enjoy and let us know what you think. Interesting times…
From Al Jazeera

For generations the Middle East has served as a setting for the grand narratives of American imperial power. US presidents have had a long-standing and complex relationship with Arab leaders, often playing puppet-master to the proxies and despots they put in power to look out for US interests.

The Arab Spring ushered in the debut performance of a new player: The Arab people themselves. And they are loud, clear, and unabashed about their desire to take the front seat in the policies and procedures of their region.

As the Arab people begin to proactively tell their leaders and the world what they want, the question now becomes how the US, so accustomed to directing the region as it pleases, will deal with its diminishing power.From attacked embassies to unwinnable wars, the Arab world is quickly and deftly slipping out of US control and the power the US has enjoyed in the Middle East may finally be reaching an end.

Rhetorically, Barack Obama embraced the Arab Spring, but is he just the latest US president to dream of a new Middle East?

Empire asks: Will the US continue to try to dictate its own agenda with hard power? Or will it ‘lead from behind’, accepting a more multilateral role working with the Arab people and their leaders?

Read more and watch the video here.

http://sofrep.com/13991/americas-middle-east-lost/

Old 11-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation Peace in the Middle East

"They don't care about the people there. They regard them as expendable in the cause of jihad."

Old 11-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow Saudis' dawah disguised as "dialogue"

Robert Spencer and Michael Coren on the Saudis' dawah disguised as "dialogue"

A must view!

Old 12-04-2012, 02:35 AM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation The Arab Supremacist Islamist ‘State’ of ‘Palestine’

The Arab Supremacist Islamist ‘State’ of ‘Palestine’
Israel signals it has had enough of the Palestinians’ gaming of the UN.
by Joseph Klein

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas came to New York for the second time in four months to present the Palestinian case for statehood in person to the United Nations General Assembly. He basked in the glory of thunderous standing ovations, which both preceded and followed his speech. Thousands of miles from Gaza and Ramallah, Abbas was enjoying his own version of a Turtle Bay “New York State of Mind.”

On November 29, 2012, the 65th anniversary of the General Assembly’s 1947 resolution recommending partition of what remained of the British Palestinian Mandate after the Palestinian-majority state of Jordan had already been carved out, Abbas called upon the General Assembly to complete the two state solution envisioned in 1947. He was petitioning the 193 UN member states for a new resolution that issues “a birth certificate of the reality of the State of Palestine.”

“Sixty-five years later and on the same day, which your esteemed body has designated as the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People,” Abbas said, “the General Assembly stands before a moral duty, which it must not hesitate to undertake, and stands before a historic duty, which cannot endure further delay, and before a practical duty to salvage the chances for peace, which is urgent and cannot be postponed.”

Abbas got his wish. With 138 UN member states in favor to 9 against and 41 abstentions, the General Assembly adopted the legally non-binding resolution to elevate the Palestinians’ status from observer entity to observer non-member state. The very next day Palestinians were proudly displaying their new nameplate – the “State of Palestine” – on the table beside their seat in the morally bankrupt Hall of Mirrors that the UN General Assembly has become.

It is fitting that the racist Arab Muslim regime of Sudan, charged by the International Criminal Court (ICC) with genocide and other crimes against humanity, submitted the resolution and vouched for the bona fides of the Palestinian claim to recognition as a legitimate state. Sudan is returning a favor. Abbas, after all, has in the past praised the ICC-indicted genocider, Sudan’s President Omar al-Bashir.

“We are with Sudan,” said Abbas when asked during his 2009 visit with Bashir in Khartoum about the Palestinian position on the ICC’s warrant for arrest issued against al-Bashir for war crimes in Darfur. Abbas added, “We are with the president. We support Sudanese unity and entirely agree with Sudan’s position.”

After Abbas concluded his speech last Thursday and took congratulations from many members of his rapt UN audience, Daff-Alla Elhag Ali Osman, Sudan’s UN Ambassador, formally submitted the resolution, titled “Status of Palestine in the United Nations” (document A/67/L.28) for a vote.

In remarks to the press after the voting was concluded and the resolution passed, Sudan’s UN Ambassador said it was “bizarre” for supporters of the International Criminal Court to oppose the Palestinians using the vote as leverage to bring their allegations of war crimes against Israel in the ICC. This is the same Ambassador Ali Osman who had accused the International Criminal Court prosecutor of “terrorist” tactics in investigating the Sudanese Arab regime’s ethnic cleansing, concentration camps for non-Arabs the ICC prosecutor likened to “a gigantic Auschwitz” and murders of non-Arab people living in Darfur that reportedly cost the lives of more than 300,000 people since 2003.

Abbas decided to end-run negotiations with Israel and raise false hopes among the Palestinian people, in order to use the General Assembly’s recognition of its statehood as leverage for lawfare purposes in bringing war crime charges against Israel at the ICC.

The General Assembly became an accomplice to Abbas’s sleight of hand. Beginning in 1977, as Abbas alluded to in his speech, the United Nations has sponsored the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People on November 29th, the date in 1947 when the UN General Assembly approved its partition Resolution 181 (II). Abbas invoked the partition resolution, which the Palestinians and neighboring Arab countries once so vehemently rejected, in his speech last Thursday. However, he never once acknowledged Israel’s right to exist within any borders in the region as a Jewish state, even though Resolution 181 (II) used the expression “Jewish State” twenty-three times, when it advocated the creation of “two states in Palestine, a Jewish one and an Arab one.” By going along with Abbas’s cherry picking of the partition resolution, the General Assembly ratified the Palestinian victimhood narrative in which they have only rights but no responsibilities.

Abbas claimed in his speech that he came to the General Assembly “to protect the possibilities and the foundations of a just peace that is deeply hoped for in our region.” But he laid down unconditional demands that he knows Israel cannot ever accept for its own security, particularly after the terrorist attacks it has experienced following its unilateral withdrawal from Gaza in 2005 to give peace a chance.

Far from opening doors to genuine negotiations, Abbas’s speech was replete with the usual Palestinian blood libel, accusing Israel of “racism,” “apartheid,” “brute force” and “war crimes.” Abbas falsely characterized Israel’s very measured response to the Islamist jihadists’ unprovoked rocket attacks against Israeli civilians launched from Gaza as “aggression against our people in the Gaza Strip.”

Finally, Abbas lied to the General Assembly and to his own people about what kind of society an independent Palestinian state is likely to be. He said that “we reaffirm that Palestine will always adhere to and respect the Charter and resolutions of the United Nations and international humanitarian law, uphold equality, guarantee civil liberties, uphold the rule of law, promote democracy and pluralism, and uphold and protect the rights of women.”

Abbas’s Palestinian Authority does not control the lawless, Islamic fundamentalist Gaza Strip, a fatal flaw in the logic for a Palestinian state at this time but which also relieves him of responsibility for what is presently going on there under Hamas’s control. However, the West Bank territory under Palestinian Authority control does not come close to Abbas’s representation of a pluralistic democracy that protects the rights of women.

According to the Social Institutions and Gender Index launched by the OECD Development Centre, laws in the West Bank “contain discriminatory provisions in the areas of marriage, divorce, child custody and inheritance. Women cannot marry without permission from their closest male relative on the paternal side. Polygamy is legally accepted in the Palestinian Authority, in accordance with Islamic law.”

As for a pluralistic society upholding equality and guaranteeing civil liberties, the draft constitution of the Palestinian state contains some of the right words that Abbas mentioned in his speech, but also evidences the notion of Arab Islamist supremacy that Abbas conveniently omitted to mention. For example,

• Article 1: “This constitution is based on the will of the Arab Palestinian people. It shall be approved democratically.”
• Article 3: “The Palestinian people are a part of the Arab and Islamic nations.”
• Article 6: “Islam shall be the official religion of the state.”
• Article 10: “Sovereignty belongs to the Palestinian Arab people.”

The draft Palestinian constitution also implies that the Palestinians’ claim of “right of return” to their homes in pre-1967 Israel is not negotiable. Article 32 states: “The right of the Palestinian refugee to return to his home and the original home of his ancestors is a natural right which cannot expire. Its exercise may not be delegated nor surrendered.”

Abbas’s UN maneuver was intended to gain the endorsement of the international community for the Palestinian demand that Israel retreat to the pre-1967 borders and turn over Old Jerusalem (which they call East Jerusalem and claim as their capital) to Palestinian sovereignty. They also continue to insist on the so-called right of return that would, if implemented, destroy the Jewish state without the necessity of Hamas’s missiles.

In response, Israel decided last Friday that it had enough of the Palestinians’ gaming of a UN system stacked against Israel. It announced that it was proceeding with zoning and planning preparation for a 4.6 square mile area near Jerusalem known as E-1, which can serve to buffer Jerusalem from incursions from the West Bank should the Palestinians get the state they are seeking.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon condemned the E1 announcement. “Should the E-1 settlement be constructed,” he said, “it would represent an almost fatal blow to remaining chances of securing a two-state solution.”

Instead of acting on cue with a Pavlovian criticism of Israel, the Secretary General should tell the Palestinians to stop playing games and get serious by resuming negotiations with Israel without conditions. The Israelis have not committed to the actual construction of E-1. However, if the Palestinians do not give up their play-acting at statehood via the UN and their unreasonable, non-negotiable claims, such as to Jerusalem, that have no historical or moral foundation, Israel will have to play whatever cards it has available.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation Time for a Nuremberg Trial for Hamas and the Pipers of Death

Time for a Nuremberg Trial for Hamas and the Pipers of Death
A war Israel can win — with help from the West.
by Giulio Meotti

Back in the 1970s, law expert Yoram Dinstein argued that according to UN definitions, terrorism and incitement against Israelis constituted genocide. That’s why Israel, with the help of a few Western democracies, should set up a Nuremberg-type initiative for Palestinian terror leaders, who must be charged for inciting and committing genocide. In the name of the peremptory principle nullum crimen sine poena, ”No crime without a punishment,” we should prosecute Palestinian terrorists, whether as individuals or entities. They are hostes humani generis, “common enemies of humankind.”

The initiative would be a powerful rebuke of the failed International Criminal Court in the Hague, which should have prosecuted these evil leaders and promoters of genocide. The Islamic regimes of the world succeeded in changing the Court’s statute to eliminate terrorism as an offense and, at the same time, to define the Jewish inhabitants of Judea and Samaria as “war criminals.”

If Israel has no right to defend itself from genocidal attacks and the Jews have no right to live in their historic land, then Israel has no right to exist.

The Palestinian Authority tried to submit criminal cases against individual Israeli soldiers and leaders, but the prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo said Palestine was not yet a state, and only states could file cases. With the UN General Assembly having upgraded the Palestinians’ status to that of a non-member state, the PA will try to re-file.

The Arab clerics, who describe the Jews as sub-humans with expressions like “pig,” “cancer,” “filth,” “microbes” and “vermin,” should be put on trial for fomenting lethal anti-Jewishness reminiscent of the 1930s. An example of this religious incitement is the fatwa issued by the Muslim Brotherhood’s guru, Yusuf al-Qaradawi, permitting the killing of Jewish fetuses, on the logic that when Jews grow up they might join the Israeli army.

Unfortunately, Europe is freeing these clerics, like Abu Qatada, who was recently released by the UK.

The suicide vest costs only $150 for Palestinian terror groups. But it needs “software” to operate. This is the role of the clerics who put in motion the robots of death. It’s like the piper and the rats in the famous Hamelin fairy tale.

The same with the Arab media, which distribute hate material such as the Protocols of the Elders of Zion or maps without Israel. Western jurisprudence would find these media outlets guilty, like the Nazi war criminal Julius Streicher, who published the anti-Semitic Der Stuermer and was found guilty by the International Military Tribunal at Nuremberg. Another example is the trial in which the Rwandan journalists were charged by the International Criminal Tribunal for inciting fellow Hutus to commit genocide against the Tutsis. At the very least, Europe must block the access to these malignant websites and include the journalists on a black list.

The legal basis for the campaign against this hatred is the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide, ratified on January 12, 1951.

International tribunals have ruled that hate speech targeting a population based on discriminatory grounds constitutes crimes against humanity per Article 7 of the Rome Statute.

In 2004, three Arab intellectuals, Jawad Hashim, Shakir al-Nabulsi and Lakhdar Lafif, sent a request to the UN Security Council, urging the establishment of an international tribunal for the prosecution of Islamist incitement against Jews, Muslim “apostates” and Christians. Thanks to satellite channels, Hamas’ Al-Aqsa TV can beam its incitement and hatred into European living rooms, radicalizing Muslim immigrants. Israel must ask Europe to turn off this terror offspring, which every evening repeats the same monstrous message: “The Jewish infidels are less than human, killing them is a meritorious act.” Words lead to mass murder.

Israel and its Western allies must launch a campaign to charge NGO leaders who commit incitement, enlisting the help of attorneys, journalists and writers to testify on the endless litanies of paranoia and genocidal perversion. Such people risk their careers and lives daily by denouncing the blood libels, and Israel should support them.

Hamas and other incitement leaders should be placed on a “watch list” by Western countries preventing their entrance as “inadmissible persons” (Qaradawi is already banned in the UK and US).

Brave groups, such as UN Watch, can support the battle in global forums. In 2009, a similar campaign prevented Farouk Hosni, the Egyptian minister who said that he “would burn Israeli books himself if found in Egyptian libraries,” from becoming UNESCO’s head.

Moreover, human rights groups should be flooded with the untold Israeli statistics: the 17,000 people wounded in terror attacks; the 2,000 civilians killed; the 15,000 rockets fired on southern Israeli cities; the fact that some 40% of wounded Israelis will remain with permanent disabilities.

There are wounded Israeli heroes who just want to tell their story. I can provide a list of these maimed fighters who should be invited to speak in the courts because they are the survivors of current-day genocide. In European faculties, there are still brave academicians who can denounce Hamas-supporting speakers among them. We must ask Europe to expel them.

This is an historic battle that Israel can win with the support of Westerners who still care about the fate of their civilization. To the Spanish fascists who were saying, “Viva la muerte!” the Republicans replied: “No pasarán.” We must offer the same response to contemporary death cultists.

No pasarán. They shall not pass.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation Terror funds linked to shady charities

Terror funds linked to shady charities

By SANDEEP SINGH GREWAL

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsD...storyid=343393
Monday, December 10, 2012

HUNDREDS of millions of dollars a year are being channelled into the hands of the Taliban - much of it from the Gulf, an expert told the GDN yesterday.

Shady charities in the GCC continue to funnel cash to Afghanistan to fund insurgents, said Afghanistan Centre for Research and Policy Studies director Haroun Mir.

He accused Gulf countries of not doing enough to monitor bogus charity operations, which he accused of filling terrorists' coffers with cash to buy weapons, equipment and conduct operations.

"The Taliban gets $200 million a year to carry out its activities and recruit young people to spread terror across the world," he said on the sidelines of the Manama Dialogue, which ended yesterday at the Ritz-Carlton Bahrain Hotel and Spa.

"This huge amount of money is coming from somewhere and one main channel is bogus charities in GCC and Arab states, which collect funds that are used for illegal activities instead of noble causes."

Mr Mir said people in the region were being conned into parting with their money by those misinterpreting Islam.

"Terrorists are using narratives based on grievances of people and misinterpreting Islam," he said.

"The funds are flowing via ghost charities."

The Muslim faith requires followers to make donations to the needy as part of an Islamic tax, known as "Zakat".

However, Mr Mir said there was still no official authority that monitored where the money was going.

"Nobody has an idea where this money goes as it is being used by extremist groups to purchase weapons or recruit suicide bombers," he claimed.

He argued a central body was needed to oversee and manage the large amounts of money collected through Zakat in GCC and Arab countries to ensure it was not directed to questionable causes.

Mr Mir also warned nations in the region against radicalising their own people by demonising other countries.

"If we look closely in the region, Saudi Arabia is radicalising some of its people to deal with the threat from Iran," he said.

"They are creating one problem to get rid of another.

"Things are boiling under the surface and it's important for Saudi Arabia to play a bigger role in the region."

He added Afghanis-tan and Pakistan were suffering as a direct result of the Arab world's failure to combat sectarianism.

Policies
"Pakistan and my country, Afghanistan, are clear examples of states that are dealing with the problem of terrorism every day," he said.

"They are victims of poor policies by GCC and Arab states to deal head on with radicalisation."

The eighth International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) Regional Security Summit: The Manama Dialogue 2012 took place over three days under the patronage of His Royal Highness Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa, Crown Prince and Deputy Supreme Commander.

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsD...storyid=343393

Old 12-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation Arab Spring Countries More Corrupt Under Islamists

Arab Spring Countries More Corrupt Under Islamists

Islamist thugs are beating and assaulting protesters in Tunisia and Cairo. And the Arab Spring, recently the darling of media pundits, now looks positively toxic.

Among other things, Arab Spring countries appear to actually be more corrupt under their new Islamist governments than they were before.
Transparency International’s (TI) 2012 Corruption Perceptions index ranks countries from 0 to 100 based on perceived levels of public sector corruption — 100 meaning no perceived corruption. Egypt dropped six places and now ranks 118th out of 176 countries.

Following Mubarak’s downfall and Egypt’s first democratically elected president, Mohamed Morsi, hopes were high. But now, after Morsi’s power grab yielding him near absolute power and a controversial draft constitution in the works, anger has once again consumed Cairo’s streets.

“We know that frustration about corruption brought people out onto the streets in the Arab world,” TI’s Middle East and North Africa director, Cristoph Wilcke, told Reuters. A democratic transition has not easily come to Egypt. Morsi is now facing allegations similar to those that toppled Mubarak’s regime, and protesters are now demanding Morsi be held accountable and step down.

“As far as we can tell, very little has happened on the ground … as far as putting in place systems that we know work to prevent corruption,” Wilcke said.

Tunisia fell two places, now ranking 75th, and Morocco fell eight slots to 88th out of 176 countries.
But I’m sure things will be better under full-on Sharia.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow ‘Allah Willing’ First We Take Damascus, Then Tel Aviv

Radical Jordanian Cleric Warns Israel:
‘Allah Willing’ First We Take Damascus, Then Tel Aviv

Jordan’s Salafist leader Abu Muhammad al-Tahawi was once featured in an Al Qaeda recruitment ad (Image from FoxNews.com)

More evidence the Syrian civil war isn’t only about control over Syria: A Salafist leader in Jordan – and prominent supporter of radical Islamists fighting in Syria - is warning that once rebels finish off Syrian President Bashar Assad, they will look south and aim for Israel.

Sheikh Abu Muhammad al-Tahawi (aka, Abed Shihadeh) who heads Jordan’s radical Salafist group made a fiery speech at the funeral of a suicide bomber on Sunday. Roi Kas of the Israeli Ynet translated the threatening quotes (emphasis added):
“We tell Benjamin Netanyahu, the (Israeli) prime minister, get ready. The army of the Prophet Mohammad is coming your way.”

Shihadeh added: “Those carrying explosives in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan will find you, Allah willing,” he added. “The next fight is between us and you.”

The jihadist leader further pledged to “Take over Damascus and then head to Tel Aviv… As far as we are concerned, Palestine stretches from river to sea, from Rafah [southern border with Egypt] to a-Nakura [Rosh Hanikra northern border with Lebanon]. We will not rest until Palestine is liberated.”
Commenting on the United States’ decision to add the al Qaeda-linked Syrian rebel group Jabhat al-Nusra to its terror watch list, Shihadeh said that “Allah blesses the heroes of Jabhat al-Nusra.

“America is the mother of all terror in the world,” he added, further blaming the US for “standing by Assad and the Jews.”
This is not the first time radical Islamists have revealed their true ultimate goals in Syria’s 21-month conflict that’s claimed the lives of nearly 40,000. It’s not only President Bashar Assad they want to topple from Syria.
Among the other examples TheBlaze has highlighted in recent weeks:

Syrian rebels have named their new homemade tank the “Sham II.” Sham is a name historically associated with the concept “Greater Syria,” that is the land that covers not only Syria but Lebanon, Jordan, Gaza, parts of Turkey and Israel, revealing the rebels’ larger plans.

Earlier this month, the Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI) captured Syrian rebels waxing about their dream after Assad, to not only conquer Israel but also to go for “Cordoba and Andalusia,” site of the Muslim caliphate in Middle Ages’ Spain.

There are close ties between Islamist militants in the bordering nations. Last week, a Jordanian citizen was tapped to head jihadist forces in Syria according to the Jordan Times. Quoting a “Syrian Islamist source,” the Times reported that 38-year-old Mustafa Abdul Latif Al Saleh (aka, Abu Anas Al Sahabi) was named commander of the jihadist forces fighting Assad. He was appointed to the position by the Jabhat Al Nusra Li Ahl Al Sham coalition. [As in the new tank, note again use of the loaded name “Sham.”] This is the group the Obama administration designated earlier this month as a terror organization.

Fox News profiled the radical Jordanian leader who this weekend threatened Israel in an article in 2010. It reported that al-Tahawi who was then in jail was the face of an Al Qaeda recruitment campaign. Fox reported:
Shaykh Abu Muhammad al-Tahawi, who is influential in Jordan but little known elsewhere, has been the subject of recent widespread praise from suicide bombers and jihadist leaders. Experts say the attention he’s getting from his fellow terrorists suggests an attempt by Al Qaeda to recruit his followers and turn his imprisonment into a flashpoint that can be channeled to open a new front in Jordan.

Al-Tahawi, also known as Abed Shihadeh al-Tahawi, is an influential local leader of Salafi Jihadism, an extremist, militant sect of Islam that prizes martyrdom, seeks jihad and provides the ideological basis for Al Qaeda.
According to Fox, Al-Tahawi was sentenced in 2005 to three years in prison for masterminding a plot to attack the U.S. and Israeli embassies in Amman. Four years later, he was arrested again for “provoking terrorist acts, inciting sectarian strife and belonging to an illegal group.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/radical-jordanian-cleric-warns-israel-allah-willing-first-we-take-damascus-then-tel-aviv/

Old 12-20-2012, 05:13 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow Jordan Worried Radical Syrian Jihadists Fighting Against Assad May Target It and Isra

Jordan Worried Radical Syrian Jihadists Fighting Against Assad May Target It and Israel Next

The Israeli newspaper Haaretz is quoting senior Jordanian government officials who are worried radical Syrian Jihadists now fighting President Bashar Assad’s forces will eventually train their weapons on neighboring Jordan and Israel.

Correspondent Anshel Pfeffer reports from Amman:
Senior Jordanian officials warn that Syria may devolve into a “black hole that sucks Jihadists from around the world.” They claim that despite their warnings to Western nations and Israel against this expected development in their strife-ridden northern neighbor, advanced weaponry continues to flow into the hands of Salafist and Jihadist organizations who are gradually taking over the rebellion against the regime of Bashar Assad.

The Jordanians fear that with the collapse of the current Syrian government, this weaponry, together with the experience gained by the Jihadists, will be aimed toward other targets in the region – particularly Jordan and Israel. The Jordanians saw the first signs two months ago when their intelligence service caught a cell of 11 Jordanian Salafists who had assembled in Syria and were planning, under the aegis of Al-Qaida, to attack shopping centers and Western embassies in Jordan.
Pfeffer writes that Jordanians are also angry with Turkey which is allowing radical Islamists to obtain weaponry “at the expense of moderate and secular rebel groups.” He reports:
Many of the advanced missiles financed by the Gulf states and transferred to the rebels via Turkey in the past few weeks have fallen into the hands of fanatics, despite the attempts of Jordanian and Western intelligence services to ensure that only the rebellion’s moderate factions would receive them.
The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan has been spared the so-called “Arab Spring” revolutions that deposed the rulers in Egypt, Libya and Tunisia. Jordanian officials are now concerned on two fronts: that radical Syrian Jihadis could inspire homegrown Islamists in Jordan to threaten the rule of King Abdullah, and that in a last-minute desperate act, Syria’s Assad could try to deflect the pressure on him by exporting the conflict to Jordan.

The Jordanian government is feeling further heat from reports that Palestinians are becoming more embroiled in the Syrian conflict. Earlier this week, Syrian forces twice bombed the Yarmouk Palestinian refugee camp in Damascus after rebels seized large parts of the camp. While President Assad was for years a supporter of radical Palestinian groups like Hamas, most Palestinians now back the rebels. This, even as the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine-General Command is fighting on Assad’s side.

The violence has prompted civilians to flee the camp. Now Jordan, which already has a majority Palestinian population, is worried more Palestinians will cross its border. More than 500,000 Syrian refugees have fled to Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan, according to the Associated Press.

To deal with the crisis, Jordan set up refugee camps for the fleeing Syrians, though it keeps Palestinians in a separate area called “Cyber City.”

Haaretz quotes the Arabic media which reports the Jordanian army has declared a state of emergency, with troops issued gas masks in the event Syrian forces decide to employ chemical weapons.

Earlier this week, a radical Salafist leader in Jordan warned in a fiery speech that after rebels depose Assad, they will look south and aim for Israel.

Sheikh Abu Muhammad al-Tahawi said: “We tell Benjamin Netanyahu, the (Israeli) prime minister, get ready. The army of the Prophet Mohammad is coming your way.”

Old 12-31-2012, 02:35 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow Islamic supremacist rebels behead Christian man and feed his body to dogs

#MyJihad in Syria:
Islamic supremacist rebels behead Christian man and feed his body to dogs

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2012/12/my...y-to-dogs.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

But remember: they have the moral high ground, and only greasy Islamophobes oppose them.

"Syria rebels 'beheaded a Christian and fed him to the dogs' as fears grow over Islamist atrocities," by Nick Fagge for the Daily Mail, December 30:
Syrian rebels beheaded a Christian man and fed his body to dogs, according to a nun who says the West is ignoring atrocities committed by Islamic extremists.
The nun said taxi driver Andrei Arbashe, 38, was kidnapped after his brother was heard complaining that fighters against the ruling regime behaved like bandits.

She said his headless corpse was found by the side of the road, surrounded by hungry dogs. He had recently married and was soon to be a father.

Sister Agnes-Mariam de la Croix said: ‘His only crime was his brother criticised the rebels, accused them of acting like bandits, which is what they are.’

There have been a growing number of accounts of atrocities carried out by rogue elements of the Syrian Free Army, which opposes dictator Bashar al-Assad and is recognised by Britain and the West as the legitimate leadership.

Sister Agnes-Miriam, mother superior of the Monastery of St James the Mutilated, has condemned Britain and the west for supporting the rebels despite growing evidence of human rights abuses. Murder, kidnapping, rape and robbery are becoming commonplace, she says.

‘The free and democratic world is supporting extremists,’ Sister Agnes-Miriam said from her sanctuary in Lebanon. ‘They want to impose Sharia Law and create an Islamic state in Syria.’...

Old 12-31-2012, 03:26 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation 'America, You Are The Main Target On The Mujahideen's Agenda'

December 30, 2012
Special Dispatch No.5113

http://www.memri.org/report/en/0/0/0/0/0/0/6900.htm
Jordanian Salafi-Jihadi Leader Abu Muhammad Al-Tahawi: 'America, You Are The Main Target On The Mujahideen's Agenda'

The following report is a complimentary offering from the MEMRI Jihad and Terrorism Threat Monitor (JTTM). For subscription information, click here.

MEMRI offers an additional option for jihad and terrorism news – the Global Jihad News (GJN) website. Access is by annual subscription – now available at a special price of $260; to subscribe, visit the MEMRI E-Store and use the discount code Winter 2012at checkout.

On December 25, 2012, Jordanian Salafi-jihadi ideologue and leader Abu Muhammad Al-Tahawi published an article on the jihadi forum Ansar Al-Mujahideen titled "Jabhat Al-Nusra Put the U.S. on the Terrorism List," in which he lashed out at the U.S. for designating Jabhat Al-Nusra (JN) – an Al-Qaeda front in Syria – as a terrorist organization. Al-Tahawi vowed, in the name of JN and the mujahideen in general, that they would continue to fight the U.S. until it was completely routed in disgrace from all Muslim countries.
Following are excerpts from the article:

"In response [to the U.S. designation of JN as a terrorist organization] we say to the U.S. what the lion of Islam, Abu 'Abdallah Osama bin Laden, may Allah have mercy on him, told them: 'I swear to Allah... America and those who live in America will not dream of security before we live in real security in Palestine, and before all the infidel armies leave the land of Muhammad.'"

Jabhat Al-Nusra "Committed Themselves To Fulfill The Oath Of Their Sheikh Osama"
"And from here on, know, Oh vile, base America, that JN in Syria, and their brothers the mujahideen that carry the banner of tawhid [monotheism] from the east to the west, have long ago put you on [their own] black list of terrorism built on the oppression, tyranny, and subjugation of Muslims. They have committed themselves to fulfill the oath of their Sheikh Osama, and they will not allow you to enjoy a pleasant life, nor a quiet, peaceful sleep, until you return to your land with your head bowed, defeated and wretched, and pay them the jizya[1] in utter subjugation[2]...

"Therefore, listen carefully and comprehend what I am saying, Oh America: The mujahideen today are standing at a crossroads with you. They have defined the coordinates of the path, drawn up their road map, confirmed the quality of their targets, and have begun the journey toward the target for a long time now – and you know better than others that they are no longer looking back, since this will delay their journey and distort the direction of their compass. Since the mujahideen chose their path, they announced to you in a clear, thundering manner... that we will not lay down the weapons of jihad until Allah's law rules over men, and until the Koran dominates over [all] other books.

"We will not lay down the weapons of jihad, nor will we retreat until the last occupier leaves our Islamic lands, first and foremost Palestine. Today, America, you are the main target on the mujahideen's agenda. They have put you at the top of the list of terrorists targeted by the fire of their weapons, and they will not put out the fire of their weapons against you until your sins, evil, corruption, and oppression are stopped, and until you restore rights to those they belong to and return to the other side of the ocean, [back] where you came from.

"Oh Americans of Obama, you must understand well that the time of your deception of nations... is over. People no longer drink like camels [i.e. can no longer be duped]. See the response to your declaration of placing JN on the terrorism list [here Al-Tahawi posted links to a YouTube clip of a December 14 protest in Dar'a in support of JN. See MEMRI TV clip #3678 Syrian Demonstration in Support of Jabhat Al-Nusra: "Obama, There Is No Terrorism in Syria"]."

"The Land Of Syria Awaits You Impatiently So Its Sea Of Embers Can Burn Your Hearts"
"From here we say to you, oh Obamians: be prepared, for great wars are coming to the land of Syria. The land of Syria awaits you impatiently so its sea of embers can burn your hearts, melt your fat, and roast your flesh. Today, you are no longer able to manage one battle, not to mention multiple battles. This is thanks to the grace of Allah and to that of the soldiers of Osama, who terrorized you and paralyzed your thoughts. Come to Syria if you are [real] men or if you have a trace of manhood left in you. Oh, what is this I see? Are you reluctant to come, Obama? Perhaps you recalled the tragedies of your friend Bush in Iraq and Afghanistan and the bad omen he bequeathed you, the repercussions of which you continue to suffer?

"Obama, let me say to you bluntly: The mujahideen entered the battlefield with you, and they will not leave it until they achieve the goals for which they fought you, or until Allah decides the matter, which was a done deal [to begin with]. You entered the battlefield wishing to retreat from it, since the rattling of the swords there inflicted heavy wounds upon you and filled your homes with sorrow. But you got carried away by vanity, because you are stuck between two bad choices: retreating and being content with minimal losses, or leaving the battlefield to the mujahideen, who will attack the border of the Jews – even if only from afar. I won't offer you solutions. You have a choice: retreat, or stay on the battlefield and pay [the price of] your blood and your people's blood out of hand.

"Finally, I say to you, oh Obamians: You placed JN on the terrorism list, and JN placed you on [its own] black terrorism list long ago. We shall wait and see which terrorist shall eliminate the other from the battlefield – the terrorism that repels the oppressors... or the terrorism that build itself upon the blood of the oppressed... Wait, oh Obamians; we are waiting with you..."
Source: As-ansar.com, December 25, 2012.

Endnotes:
[1] The poll tax exacted in the Islamic state on non-Muslims from the monotheistic faiths – dhimmis – according to Islamic law.

[2] A reference to Koran 9:29.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow A New Cold War

A New Cold War
Time to face facts about the future of relations with the Muslim world.
by Moorthy Muthuswamy

In 1988, when I was a physics graduate student doing research at Brookhaven National laboratory, I befriended a young Israeli physicist.
He was a typical young Israeli researcher – bright, friendly and secular.

Besides physics, we prominently discussed one other issue, the propensity for violence in Muslim communities and their relative backwardness. In my mind, the context was Pakistan vs. India and Muslims vs. Hindus in India. And in his mind it was Palestinians and the extended Arab clan in the region vs. the Jews.

We managed to keep in touch. We met again in 1994. When the conversation turned to the above topic, there was one marked difference: my friend asserted that the difficulties Israel faced in the region were of “political” origin. But I said that its origins were religion based, implying that political accommodation was fundamentally not possible, without first addressing the underlying religious origin of the conflict.

I knew better.

As I have discussed in my book, Defeating Political Islam: The New Cold War, Hindus and Muslims who were connected by language, culture, ethnicity, history and cuisine in South Asia had yet evolved very differently, and remarkably, so have the British Muslims of Pakistani origin, in contrast to the Hindus of Indian origin. The dynamic driving these Muslim communities could most consistently be understood only by invoking the religion of Islam.

Being a secular Jew, my friend’s thought process was a sign of the times in Israel. However, fast forward to 2011 when we met again, he had changed his stance and agreed with me that the Arab/Muslim animosity was indeed religion-based.

His change of heart, in the larger context was symptomatic of the transition underway in Israel. Indeed, Israel as a whole has been turning more “hawkish,” in the words of many learned western analysts. Unlike these armchair analysts, the transformation of the Israelis were based upon the reality they could no longer deny or explain away.

However, the Americans and the Europeans, living far away, presumed that a political approach to dealing with Palestinian’s suicide attacks on Israel, Pakistan’s intransigence and the Taliban threat in Afghanistan will be fruitful, if you throw enough resources at it. Several hundreds of billions of dollars later, trying a development strategy in West Bank and Pakistan and the Coin strategy in Afghanistan, the premise has proved to be fatally flawed.

Indeed, this political strategy has failed miserably in the Middle East and the AfPak region. Looking back, the reasons are all too familiar, evidence based analysis and policy-making was put in the back-burner and a wishful thinking of what-works-for-me-works-everywhere philosophy took over.

Now comes an I-anticipated-so new revelation: what – the man on whom the West has invested so much political capital – President Mohammed Morsi of Egypt said in 2010: that the Jews be expunged not only from Israel, but “any Arab or Muslim land.”

The point is any leader of a sharia-favoring political Islamic entity such as the Brotherhood has to a have a different world view and an aspiration, not much different from that of Osama Bin Laden, although the means of achieving it may differ. If you scratch deep enough, you find it; Mr. Morsi is exposed, but why should it be a surprise?

Having studied how sharia’s influence drove Pakistan into becoming a fountain-head of terror, I had cautioned how our policies may lead to the creation of Arab versions of Pakistan. In practical terms, sharia is no law, let alone a divine one, as its interpretations in the form of edicts or fatwas is full of contradictions. As it has turned out in the Middle East, Pakistan and elsewhere, one can get any fatwa of one’s liking, all you need is a dollar and a cleric who can take it. Pity those Muslims and non-Muslims who have been conned into believing a bogus law called the sharia!

The West’s policy of engaging Islamists has come full circle. Moreover, a U.S.-educated engineering PhD no less, Mr. Morsi has ensured that no Islamists can ever be reasoned with, let alone be negotiated with.

We are now at the onset of an inevitable and official Cold War with political Islam, with emancipation of Muslims from the clutches of sharia as a goal, for the sake of all of us.

Just like the communism-repressed former Soviet Union.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation The Arabs’ Betrayal of the Palestinians

The Arabs’ Betrayal of the Palestinians
Why the Palestinians’ biggest supporters refuse to pay the millions of dollars they pledged.

At least one Palestinian leader is honest enough to blame his “brotherly” Arab states for the cash crisis faced by the Palestinian Authority (PA) in Ramallah. PA Prime Minister Salam Fayyad, in an interview with the Associated Press on Sunday, January 6, 2013 complained of an “unprecedented financial crisis” in the PA, largely due to the “Arab countries’ failure to dispatch promised millions of dollars in aid.” Ironically, it is the Jewish state of Israel that the Palestinians regularly vilify and seek to destroy, which hitherto, provided the financial wherewithal to the PA by transferring $100 million in tax rebates to Ramallah, an amount that covers a third of the PA monthly operating costs.

On November 29, 2012, the U.N. General Assembly upgraded the Palestinian status to non-member observer state, and last week the U.N. changed the way it refers to Palestinians from merely being “Palestine” to the “State of Palestine.” Israel hoped to negotiate in good faith with the Palestinian Authority and its President, Mahmoud Abbas, but the Palestinians circumvented the peace process by going directly to the U.N. in defiance of the Obama administration and Israel. That resulted in Israel cutting off subventions of $100 million to the PA coffers. The Israeli government withheld the money to settle the PA debt to Israeli companies.

Mahmoud Abbas, not content with changing how the U.N. now refers to Palestine, has ordered the words “Palestinian Authority,” the current operative designation, to be changed to the “State of Palestine” on all public documents in Palestinian-controlled areas, including ID cards, driver licenses, and passports.

While Abbas is busy with conferring new titles on his PA, his Prime Minister Salam Fayyad has to deal with the PA insolvency. The 22-nation Arab League promised to make up the funds Israel cut off in December. Mohammed Sobeih, an Arab League official, claimed that letters have gone out to individual member states, urging them to pay the promised $100 million. Fayyad, however, contended that PA financial problems rest with the delinquent Arab donors who failed to fulfill their pledge of support in accordance with Arab League resolutions. Fayyad made it clear that the EU and the U.S. have delivered on their commitments to the Palestinians, but he accuses the Arab states of not meeting their pledges.

The Arab states have stuck to the familiar rhetoric of Western responsibility for the Palestinian plight, and therefore the West should pay for the Palestinian Authority upkeep as well as the Palestinian Arab refugees cared for by the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA). In fact, it was the Palestinian leadership and leaders of Arab states that encouraged the Palestinian plight in 1948, and are largely responsible for the Palestinian refugee problem. The Arab states moreover, refused to absorb the Palestinians, and have used them for propaganda purposes. Kuwait has expelled 450,000 Palestinians in the aftermath of the 1991 Gulf War, while Egypt, Lebanon, and Syria have refrained from giving the Palestinians citizenship. It is the same Arab states who have encouraged the Palestinians to resist accommodation with the Jewish State, and gave lip-service to the Palestinian cause, while they fall short on deeds when it comes to helping the Palestinians.

The Washington Institute for Near East Policy 2005 report revealed that “Arab states pledged $999 million in aid for 2004, of which $572 million was pledged by Arab members of OPEC (other than Iraq). Only $107 million of this aid was actually delivered. That left $892 million still owed by Arab states, including $467 million from OPEC members (other than Iraq). The largest amounts pledged, but not delivered, were from Libya ($148 million), Kuwait ($140 million), Iraq ($132 million pledged while Saddam Hussein was still in power), Egypt ($105 million), and Algeria ($86 million).”

According to Fayyad, the PA has reached a critical point at which it is unable to pay the salaries of about 150,000 government employees. Fayyad pointed out to the Associated Press that as a result of the crunch, the number of poor Palestinians will increase to 50% of the PA population. Additionally, private banks will no longer extend loans to the government, while the PA deficit is effectively over $1.5 billion.

The Palestinian Authority or as Mahmoud Abbas wants it called, the “State of Palestine” is unsustainable without foreign support. Not being endowed with oil or any other natural resources, the Palestinians, led by Yasser Arafat, aggravated their situation further by launching an Intifada against Israel in September, 2000. It resulted in Israel restricting Palestinian movement, including work permits inside Israel, and impacted trade. The PA depends on foreign aid and is seemingly unable to wean itself off.

At the core of the PA economic problems is the use of public sector employment as a mechanism for political patronage as well as local job creation. The public sector alone continues to expand while investments in the private sector are virtually non-existent; this causes an imbalance that outstrips fiscal revenues.

A World Bank report (December 2004) concluded that the PA “needs to reinvigorate its program of governance reform in order to create an internal environment more attractive to private investors. Doing that will require that the PA complete the cycle of popular elections it has embarked on, control lawlessness, develop a solid judicial system and address concerns about transparency and corruption.”

As America is edging toward a financial cliff, and the EU-zone is in deep financial trouble, it is time to demand that the Arab/Muslim world take care of the Palestinians’ financial needs. America and the Europeans can no longer afford to be on a “guilt trip,” and pay the lion’s share of the PA budget. This was concluded long before the 2008 recession hit America and the West. The late Rep. Tom Lantos (D-CA), a senior member of the House International Relations Committee, said (February 10, 2005) that he would “condition U.S. aid to the Palestinians on oil-rich Arab ‘deadbeats’ making good on their own promised contributions.” Rep. Lantos’ statement was endorsed by the former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger who said, “I think it is reasonable that the surrounding Arab states that have resources should at least match U.S. support.”

Pan-Arabism is a figment of the imagination with respect to the Palestinians. The plight of the Palestinians is used by the Arab regimes only when it can promote their political ends. These regimes champion the Palestinian cause mostly as a way to attack Israel. This serves to draw away attention from the misery of their people, and conversely, hide the success of the tiny Jewish state. The Arab regimes refuse to criticize one another or admit to their ill treatment of the Palestinians, and their hypocrisy is revealed in the deafening silence when the plight of the Palestinians no longer suits their needs. The Arab antagonism towards integrating Palestinian refugees into their societies has led to the denial of basic Palestinian rights to work and live, and in some cases has culminated in the outright violent expulsion of Palestinian families.

The welfare of the Palestinian people depends on responsible leaders able to focus on economic prosperity instead of seeking to eliminate the Jewish state. In fact, only close economic cooperation with Israel, which entails an end to terror and hate by the Palestinians, will bring about economic growth and political stability. It will also end Palestinian dependency on Western charity and on the Arab states that failed them.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation Hitler honored in upscale mall in modern, moderate Turkey

Hitler honored in upscale mall in modern, moderate Turkey

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2013/01/hi...te-turkey.html

Turkey's rapid re-Islamization and abandonment of secularism has been accompanied by a sharp rise in hostility for Israel and Islamic antisemitism. "Hitler Honored in Upscale Instanbul Mall," by Lori Lowenthal Marcus in the Jewish Press, January 15:
People who have been paying attention know that relations between Israel and Turkey have been eroding, but not many realize that Turkey is now not only openly hostile to the Jewish State, but also to the Jewish people.

On Friday, January 11, a Turkish citizen took a picture to show exactly how belligerent Turkey has become. The picture is of a huge poster with the words, “Who Would You Like to Meet if You Could?” and the last name, and only photograph, is of Adolf Hitler. The other choices include Suleiman I, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, Napolean Bonaparte, the Beatles, Elvis Presley, Vladimir Lenin, Boris Yeltsin, Leonardo Da Vinci, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Michael Jackson. But only Hitler warranted a picture, a huge one at that.

According to Ege Berk Korkut, an active Turkish writer and blogger, the sign was placed in the Sapphire Mall by the owners, a group of Turkish businessmen who are devoted to Erdogan. Korkut explained to The Jewish Press that the Sapphire is an ultra-upscale mall in Levent, the wealthiest neighborhood in Istanbul. The Sapphire building is one of the tallest buildings in Europe.

Korkut said that while a few people have complained about the banner – and the management has refused to remove it – most shoppers just glance at it and continue shopping. Ho-hum, nothing startling or even mildly interesting about a huge photograph of Adolf Hitler hanging in the Turkish equivalent of Via Bellagio in Las Vegas or The Shops at Columbus Circle in New York City.

And it is not only Israel and the Jews towards which Turkey has turned its back.

The Iranian Ambassador to Turkey, Bahman Hussein Pour, discussed the close and ever-increasing Iranian-Turkish relations in an article in the January 14 MehrNews.com, an Iranian news agency.

Hussein Pour pointed out that while Western countries, “especially the U.S.,” have been pressuring Turkey to reduce economic relations with Iran, “Iran-Turkey trade volume exceeds $21b this year for the first time.” The Iranian Ambassador concluded that Turkish-Iranian relations are irreversible.

In addition to the trade relations between the two countries which has more than quadrupled since 2008, Hussein Pour also explained that “more than 15 Turkish provinces have become sister provinces with Iranian ones.”

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2013/01/hi...te-turkey.html

Old 01-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow The Folly of Arming Syria's Rebels

The Folly of Arming Syria's Rebels

by Gary C. Gambill

The National Interest
January 14, 2013
http://www.meforum.org/3433/arming-syria-rebels

As the Syrian civil war grows nastier and nastier, there is a growing consensus among mainstream Western policy analysts that the United States can best combat the growth of jihadist groups battling Syrian president Bashar al-Assad by patronizing a more respectable coterie of rebels fighting alongside them. While there may be some reasonable grounds for considering U.S. intervention in the conflict, this isn't one of them.

According to the emerging conventional wisdom, the jihadist surge is fueled by the international community's failure to support the predominantly Sunni Arab Syrian population's fight against Assad's Iranian-backed, Alawite-dominated regime. While Western governments have been unwilling to intervene militarily or provide weapons, the global Sunni Salafi-jihadist movement has poured money, men and material into the country, enabling its leaders to win support "from a population that would otherwise ignore them."

Interventionists argue that American sponsorship of carefully vetted rebel units will counter these effects by bringing the civil war to an end sooner, closing the resource gap between moderates and extremists in the eventually-to-be victorious Sunni Arab opposition, and bolstering U.S. leverage over the successor regime.

To be sure, expediting an end to the conflict and the restoration of a functioning unitary state would do much to solve the problem. Jihadists surge wherever weakened state institutions in the Islamic world provide opportunities to organize, recruit followers, or kill perceived unbelievers. Conditions in Syria, where a majority Sunni Muslim population is being brutalized daily by a secular non-Sunni dictatorship that can't control its own territory or borders, have made it an extremely permissive environment for Islamists.

But even if an American infusion of arms into the Syrian arena could "ensure the collapse of the Assad regime in weeks," as some interventionists implausibly maintain, it wouldn't necessarily bring a "faster resolution to the fighting." Many Alawites are sure to fight on in the hinterlands of northwestern Syria so long as Iran is willing to supply them, while the country's Kurdish minority won't be eager to relinquish control of its remote enclaves to the likes of those now leading the rebel effort. Christian militias in Aleppo may not disband quietly. The rebels may turn on each other. Chronic ethno-sectarian and factional conflict could drag on for years.

Syria hawks maintain that if the United States arms and finances combatants, it will ameliorate this rocky transition by ensuring that "weapons go to those advocating a non-sectarian, decent political system for Syria and are denied to those seeking a sectarian outcome." Yet even if such outward distinctions can be taken at face value, increasing the material resources available to "moderates" won't make less resources available to Al-Qaeda affiliates (and might even free up their resources for more nefarious aims).

Those who claim otherwise are assuming that Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and other Arab Gulf monarchies will end their covert support for jihadist groups if Washington helps pacify Syria. But they have little incentive to support a secular-democratic political model that might inspire their own subjects to demand freedom, and still less to take action that might threaten the political quietism of Islamists at home. A large U.S. footprint in Syria won't change these considerations and may actually discourage more responsible behavior among these Middle Eastern kingdoms—they could go on doing what they're doing without worrying that Al-Qaeda will take over the country.

In any event, resources aren't the only cause of the Islamist surge. Though most Syrian Sunnis do not embrace the jihadist message, the messengers are popular because they have proven themselves bolder and braver than their not-quite-so-god-fearing counterparts. While Jabhat al-Nusra comprises less than 10 percent of the fighters loosely organized under the Free Syrian Army (FSA) banner, moderate FSA commanders estimate that members of the jihadist group account for a majority of those killed and wounded in recent months, in large part from charging heavily defended regime outposts. They have also proven themselves more capable of delivering public services and combating petty crime in areas under their control, and less prone to murderous internal feuds. Even if U.S.-backed groups managed to gain preeminence on the battlefield, it is naïve to expect that they could be persuaded to square off against those who have played such a celebrated role in bringing the Assad regime to its knees.

Unfortunately, there is little the United States can do to counteract the glaring Islamization of rebel ranks (and accompanying Alawite retrenchment) in Syria. But what little it can and must do is very simple: browbeat Arab governments into cutting off the regional support networks of those who preach sectarian hatred while keeping distance from a rebellion that is steadily abandoning the moral high ground.

http://www.meforum.org/3433/arming-syria-rebels

Israel Forum