Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Army Related Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Army Related Forum Topics about the Israeli armed forces, special forces, tanks, apc's, guns etc + world armies.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:19 AM

flanker4741 is on a distinguished road
Smile AR the easy fixable of all rifles

The AR is one rifle that is a real easy fix. And there are many sources for the parts. Also after hauling a H&KG3 for three years having my little 5.56 AR to take care of the problems around my hood is welcome.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:11 PM

Will_Goyam is on a distinguished road

When I was 19 in the USMC we used the stone age M16A2... But damn that sucker was too long... Later in my life I got my hands on a AK sporter & I could ALMOST stick that rifle in a trench coat.

For short range I would use a pistol
For long range I would your any of the AR15, M4, 30/30 & so forth...

Gun parts?

Try places like US Calvary.com, Or the manufactorers of your rifles & so forth...
Old 08-10-2007, 11:08 PM

Laid2waste is on a distinguished road

uscav aint gunan be sellin gun parts.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:19 PM

Groundpounder is on a distinguished road

Since we are getting a bit off topic on the merits of the M-4,M-16,AK-47 I'll add my two cents worth.I agree with hitting center mast especially when dealing with enemies who are drug crazed or shooting themselves up with adrenaline like our troops faced in Iraq.You have to shoot center mast in order to stop them.
So my take on this subject is nothing is more deadlier than a U.S. Marine and his rifle no matter what that rifle is.All Marines are taught the USMC rifle creed in boot camp and they live it.The creed was written by Major General William H.Rupertus following the attack on Pearl Harbor.The following is that creed:

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We
are the saviors of my life."
Old 08-12-2007, 02:48 PM

Laid2waste is on a distinguished road

Sadly, heart and the head are the only ways to confirm a one hit kill, on an enemy using adrenaline shots.. Any where else, and they cant move, but can shoot until they bleed out.. many cases of that have been reported
Old 08-26-2007, 10:22 PM

American MP is on a distinguished road

I've used the A1 and the A2. Both were great for long range shots at the range. Nice and light with light ammo. Although mainly I carried an M9 I did routinely carry an A2 in the field. Pain in the ass to clean and too many parts. Now off active duty I prefer an AK for around the house.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:27 PM

MkCanuck9r is on a distinguished road

I guess it all depends on your experience I went from a FN C1A1 heavy weight to a C7 (M16A2 type) feather weight and it seemed awfully short to me

We had all read and heard of the M16 nightmares from Vietnam and were very skeptical of our new C7's, but we soon learned to love how bloody light they were compared to our FN's and very easy to shoot. We learned to like them. My only complaint was the tiny bolt parts, in particular the firing pin cottar pin. But you have to have something to complain about
Old 09-18-2007, 12:53 AM

Mini14 is on a distinguished road
Default Hey!

www.ClassicArmsInc. sells AK47s with adjustable stocks&Galil handguards, for $370.00. $320 is the basic AK w/muzzlebrake.
You could pimp it out by going to:
Enterprise Arms
One Source Tactical
CheaperThanDirt.com
Red Star Arms.
Krebs Custom guns
Red Jacket Firearms

You'd have an M4-style AK variant that you could mod the way you want to, alot cheaper than an M4.

If you must go with AR, get Knight Armaments company MWS rifle or AR180B. For information on the MWS, pm me your addy and I'll mail you the data(or at least show you where you can get said data).
Old 01-01-2009, 10:44 PM

Wooddog is on a distinguished road
Default M16?

Every one has got there own opinion, I am not very familiar with the AK- 47. I was trained on the M-16 A2 and it was ok. I could hit a target at 500meters with open sights most of the time, But hitting a moving hostile target that is shooting back at you in the head or chest is a whole different story. The M-16 A2 did seem to jam up when it got dirty but a little cleaning or just keeping it dripping wet with lubrications prevented any jams. But after I got done with Machine Gunner school (M-60, 50 Cal, and MK 19 ) The only thing I liked about the M-16 was it was light weight and easy to carry. I loved the 7.62 M-60 but It is a crew served weapon to big for one man. I guess if I had to go into combat today and I had my choice of weapons it would be an M-60 (7.62), and a M16 (5.56) , and a Glock side arm (40 caliber) With lots of ammo!!! But thats because I would want to go with what I know.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:19 AM

barak is on a distinguished road

from a military stand point the 5.56 round is perfict and so is the m16 and all its varients, because the lighter the weapon the more ammo you can carry and the same is true with the smaller round.

In war you are told a wounded enemy is more valuable than a dead one because someone will come to help him and now you have to enemys out of the way.

I will tell you that the m16 is a good weapon because most of my training has been with this weapon. Its very erginomic in its designe smething that the ak family does not have, but the galil has improved all that and more you can cock the galil with either hand retaining your shooting hand around the trigger it also improved the accuracy problems by moving the back sight from the middle of the weapon to the back drasticly improving accuracy.

The tavor is the logical next step for the idf retaining the same m16 round in a lighter more accurat and reliable weapon. The next generation of soldiers being train on this new platform will be an even bigger force to recon with than in the past.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooddog View Post
Every one has got there own opinion, I am not very familiar with the AK- 47. I was trained on the M-16 A2 and it was ok. I could hit a target at 500meters with open sights most of the time, But hitting a moving hostile target that is shooting back at you in the head or chest is a whole different story. The M-16 A2 did seem to jam up when it got dirty but a little cleaning or just keeping it dripping wet with lubrications prevented any jams. But after I got done with Machine Gunner school (M-60, 50 Cal, and MK 19 ) The only thing I liked about the M-16 was it was light weight and easy to carry. I loved the 7.62 M-60 but It is a crew served weapon to big for one man. I guess if I had to go into combat today and I had my choice of weapons it would be an M-60 (7.62), and a M16 (5.56) , and a Glock side arm (40 caliber) With lots of ammo!!! But thats because I would want to go with what I know.

I like the M4. That and a side arm of ofa Beretta was what I carried in the IDF. (In those days of course it was an M16). The AK is great, but there was spotty support for them as they were not exactly a mainstream issued weapon.

For more precision work, the original 1960s/70s SKS sniper rifle was the perfect combination of durability and flexability.

Interesting that no one has brought up the tumbling action ofthe round in the M series.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Wainer View Post
You are right that wounding an enemy combatant actually can degrade an enemy force more effectively than killing him outright, and in conventional warfare the M 16 family of weapons can work well in that aspect. In unconventional warfare it has some some problems. E.G if you are dealing with a suicide bomber you want a first round kill or at least being able to disable the bomber sufficiently that he is unable to detonate the explosive package. It is of little advantage to you, if the M 16 round could inflict such a serious injury on a suicide bomber that he would be dead a short time later, even if he received immediate medical attention, if he still has the capability for a time after being shot to detonate the explosive package.

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer
The m16 has the range to keep your distance from a suicide bomber and keep him imobalized untill he does his thing or heep shooting at him untill he explodes. If he is close enugh to use his bomb you should be able to get a head shot off fairly quickly.

Ive seen a curcomstances where swat teams in israel blew up a cab carrying a suicide bomer just buy constantly shooting it with m16s. when the mad bomber was fataly shot he hit the button and destroyd nothing but the cab.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Wainer View Post
Well keeping him immobilized until he detonates his explosive package is not what you want, if he is surrounded by innocent people who can not leave the area before he would detonate the explosives.

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer
Keep your distance stay as far away from him
as possible while giving him verbal commands thats what i was taught.

The real world is diffrent that why suicide bomers are so hard to deal with making them such a valuable tool for terrorists.

If you can spot the baggy clothing sweating and dull look then your close enugh to take him out with one shot in my opinion.

I just dont belive that having a smaller round with only a 98% kill rate instead of 100% will make a huge diffrence especialy with the m16's high acurracy.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:16 PM

Mini14 is on a distinguished road

How about the M14 EBR? A M14 chopped down to the size of an M1 carbine.

Go IDF Lady soldiers!
Old 02-28-2009, 02:39 AM

Brian Venham is on a distinguished road

Clean you M-16/M-4 everyday whether it needs it or not,and keep the bolt carrier lubed up,after all, your buddies are counting on you.Use mags that are in good shape.Alot of the mags I've seen in pictures posted on here look worn out and should be scrapped.I wouldn't even use them on the range.As far as "stopping power" the 5.56 is barely adequate for anything weighing more than 10kg.I think the U.S. will to switch to the 77 grain bullet as the standard round before they try to get NATO to adopt another caliber.And anyone who thinks they're going to reliably stop any vehicle other than a bicycle with one has watched way too much hollywood garbage.I'll believe that the average AK can hit a man sized target at 600 meters with iron sights first shot when I see it,which I have done personally with my factory stock AR-15.(Which is a back-up to my 7.62 M1A).
Old 02-28-2009, 02:57 AM

rashal is on a distinguished road

The only thing that has enough stoppage power to stop a car is a wall.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:18 AM
Dragon

joejd12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashal View Post
The only thing that has enough stoppage power to stop a car is a wall.
haha... good point
Old 02-28-2009, 09:07 PM

Oh,I don't know,but a good burst from ol' Ma Deuce or a HEDP M203/Mk19 round or especially a AT-4 seems to work rather well.IMHO

Last edited by Brian Venham; 02-28-2009 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: left one out
Old 02-28-2009, 09:17 PM

rashal is on a distinguished road

It depends on what you mean when you say stop. Getting the engine to stop functioning is one thing, but bringing one ton (in the good case) of metal moving at 60mph to a complete stop is a problem.

The fastest way to stop a car is to make it move on any part but the wheels (flip it on the side or the roof, or blow the wheels away completely).
Old 02-28-2009, 11:05 PM

Well I was thinking more in the way of a car or light truck i.e. 1/2 ton pick-up,hitting them with a .50 cal. or better and they should go up if packing explosives.In the case you cited, you are of course correct. I have to admit that I'm talking out my a*s as I've never had to do check-point duty.In my defense though I have seen what a passenger vehicle looks like after being thoroughly hosed with .50 cal. and grenades.They didn't roll far.
Israel Forum