Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Social > World News
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

World News News from around the world.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:56 AM
Dragon

janetnjohn is on a distinguished road
Default need some info!

i know arafat started calling his people palestinians around 1953 but when did the UN pass a resolution regarding calling the non jews palestinians?

I have set watchmen upon thy walls, O Jerusalem, which shall never hold their peace day nor night: ye that make mention of the LORD, keep not silence,

"I ask then, has God rejected His people? By no means! God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew. For the gifts and call of God are irrevocable."
(Romans 11:1,2,29)
Old 06-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Actually, the question is based on a "misnomer".

Everyone born in Jerusalem in 1930, Jews and Arabs alike were all called "Palestinians". It is only more recently that Palestinians have come to denote non-Jewish status.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Dragon

yeah i know, thanks Rafi,but i'm looking for the actual UN resolution that made any non jew in the territories a palestinian. am arguing with a bunch of anti israel d!ckheads on facebook

I have set watchmen upon thy walls, O Jerusalem, which shall never hold their peace day nor night: ye that make mention of the LORD, keep not silence,

"I ask then, has God rejected His people? By no means! God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew. For the gifts and call of God are irrevocable."
Old 06-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Closest I can get you is UN Resolution 181, though allot of it was rendered irrelevant in the final agreement on separation.

Part 1 Section C, Chapter 3: Citizenship, International Conventions and Financial Obligations

1. Citizenship Palestinian citizens residing in Palestine outside the City of Jerusalem, as well as Arabs and Jews who, not holding Palestinian citizenship, reside in Palestine outside the City of Jerusalem shall, upon the recognition of independence, become citizens of the State in which they are resident and enjoy full civil and political rights. Persons over the age of eighteen years may opt, within one year from the date of recognition of independence of the State in which they reside, for citizenship of the other State, providing that no Arab residing in the area of the proposed Arab State shall have the right to opt for citizenship in the proposed Jewish State and no Jew residing in the proposed Jewish State shall have the right to opt for citizenship in the proposed Arab State. The exercise of this right of option will be taken to include the wives and children under eighteen years of age of persons so opting.

Arabs residing in the area of the proposed Jewish State and Jews residing in the area of the proposed Arab State who have signed a notice of intention to opt for citizenship of the other State shall be eligible to vote in the elections to the Constituent Assembly of that State, but not in the elections to the Constituent Assembly of the State in which they reside.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Dragon

David of Galilee is on a distinguished road

Clearly the word has evolved, and has been used without much consistency. Since the Jews were clearly planing on taking on the ancient name of Israel at independence, the Arabs were left with nothing in the way of options, other than maintaining the name of the British mandatory territory, Palestine, for their meager freehold.

I am not sure that there is an official UN designation making official the later innovation of Palestinian as the ethno-nationalist designation for an indigenous Arab of the land from the Med sea to the river Jordan. But I could be wrong. Never heard of any actual legal language on the matter, aside from some unique, multi-generational UN/UNRWA definitions of Refugee as applied only to the Palestinians. There's been a devilish amount of confusion over the various historical and contemporary uses of the word and the idea of Palestinian, and Palestine. Even many Israel supporters are confused, and no wonder when different books and articles, both pro- and anti-Israel, are so inconsistent.

A little to the side of the topic, but worth looking at on the issue of Palestinian identity, is the video below.

It shows a leading Arab politician in Israel, Azmi Bishara, since expelled for fraternizing with the enemy after repeated warnings, once said on Israeli TV that there never was a Palestine, or Palestinian, and that they were southern Syrians.

Translation: “Well, I do not think there is a Palestinian nation at all. I think there is an Arab nation. I always thought so and I have not changed my mind. I do not think there is a Palestinian nation, I think that Palestine is a colonial invention, the Palestinian nation. When were there any Palestinians? Where did they come from? I do think that there is an Arab nation. I never was a Palestinian nationalist, despite of my strong struggle against the occupation. Until the end of the 19th century, Palestine was the south of Greater Syria.”
(The Bishara family is a Christian clan from the north of Israel. His cousin, a near-twin, was our attending veterinarian when my wife and I had a large dairy goat herd in upper Galilee. A well-education and prosperous family, and some of them are very happy here.)
Old 06-25-2013, 07:10 AM
Dragon

thanks David, much appreciated. i'm sure i've seen it in a book but can't find it now. google searches don't do much for me either

Israel Forum