Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Israeli Military Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Israeli Military Discussion Forum GENERAL Topics Relating To Israel & Its National Security, Latest news and Analysis.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pini View Post
So i never got an additional response from anyone.

Im tech Israeli, spent all my life in America, Born in AMerica. I lived in Israel for one year when i was 13. I just turned 25. I graduated from college at 23. I have always wanted to put on the IDF uniform just like all my cousins my father etc have done. If i come to israel what will i be considered? Would they take me? i am in good shape. I understand basic hebrew fine. If i come back to Israel what would they consider me as since im tech Israeli and hold both israeli and american citizenship?
No one here knows what "technically Israeli" means.
If one of your parents was Israeli, or you were born in Israel, or during the year that you lived there you got a passport, then you are an Israeli.

If none of the above is true, then you are not.

If you are not a citizen and 25 years old, you will not serve.

If you are 25 years old, a citizen who did not fulfill his obligation to serve his country, then there might be a 2% chance that you would be allowed to put on the uniform if you moved back to Israel pemanently.

If you have been waiting for a definitive response from this site prior to doing anything further, then you just lost the other 2%.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:26 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

johnboy is on a distinguished road

nothing like the truth Rafi
well said
Old 11-15-2010, 09:25 PM

jose98 is on a distinguished road

hi
I am 18 and am traveling to Israel. I was wondering if there are any other service periods other than the 3 years, as that seems like a long time...and i am not sure how i will like it. I am Israeli by my parents but live in canada. I can speak hebrew moderately well, but reading and writing are a bit of a problem. just wondering what options are available.
Thanks
Old 11-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose98 View Post
hi
I am 18 and am traveling to Israel. I was wondering if there are any other service periods other than the 3 years, as that seems like a long time...and i am not sure how i will like it. I am Israeli by my parents but live in canada. I can speak hebrew moderately well, but reading and writing are a bit of a problem. just wondering what options are available.
Thanks
Israeli citizens, regardless of where they were born or live (such as you) are required to serve their country for three years. So this discussion is on two levels- what you are expected and required to do, and what can you get away with. Two very different discussions.

While there are anecdotal reports of people like you (sortawannaserve but can I do IDF light?) serving for less time after negotiating with the embassy prior to arrival in Israel, I have never personally met anyone who did.

My advise is to be very certain that you can leave the country after you get in. As you know, Israeli citizens can only enter and leave Israel on an Israeli passport. There is much documentation on 18 year old Israelis such as yourself entering the country but then not being allowed to exit. Using a foreign passport will not be a 100% guarantee that you won't be flagged.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:44 AM

jose98 is on a distinguished road

thank you. I would like to join but as i said im not sure about 3 years. there are no shorter serving periods for foreiners? I guess ill get more info when i get there.
thanks again
Old 11-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose98 View Post
thank you. I would like to join but as i said im not sure about 3 years. there are no shorter serving periods for foreiners? I guess ill get more info when i get there.
thanks again
I'll offer you some final advice that I urge you to reflect on.

In both posts you refer to yourself as not Israeli. You are not a foreigner and Israel will treat you as if you grew up all your life in Tel Aviv.

There are numerous documented stories of people just like you - from Canada even who had a real surprise that this could happen to them.

Good luck.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:38 PM

Pini is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
No one here knows what "technically Israeli" means.
If one of your parents was Israeli, or you were born in Israel, or during the year that you lived there you got a passport, then you are an Israeli.

If none of the above is true, then you are not.

If you are not a citizen and 25 years old, you will not serve.

If you are 25 years old, a citizen who did not fulfill his obligation to serve his country, then there might be a 2% chance that you would be allowed to put on the uniform if you moved back to Israel pemanently.

If you have been waiting for a definitive response from this site prior to doing anything further, then you just lost the other 2%.

I was born in america. I am an israeli citizen who only lived in israel for one year when 13. I was not waiting for a response from this site to make the decision. I know israelis love to be brutally honost but im not sure why your responses at times sound like your talking down to some of us. With israel at a what seventy something percent of enlistment im pretty sure they wouldnt refuse a 25 year old israeli citizen in good health. Thanks for being oh so helpful like israelis are known for...
Old 11-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Retired

odie072 is on a distinguished road

Your quote: Thanks for being oh so helpful like israelis are known for.

Then why are you thinking about joining an organization that is full of Israelis then?? If you already know that their at 70%, then you obviously have the information you was looking for. Why waste the time?? With that type of attitude, you wouldn't make it even in the US military.

Just my .02

odie072
Old 11-19-2010, 01:16 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pini View Post
I was born in america. I am an israeli citizen who only lived in israel for one year when 13. I was not waiting for a response from this site to make the decision. I know israelis love to be brutally honost but im not sure why your responses at times sound like your talking down to some of us. With israel at a what seventy something percent of enlistment im pretty sure they wouldnt refuse a 25 year old israeli citizen in good health. Thanks for being oh so helpful like israelis are known for...
Glad you picked up on my disdain. I treated you with the respect any Israeli draft dodger is treated with.

Oh, that's right, you knew what to expect being such an Israeli yourself. I can't imagine any uncle, aunt or cousin doesn't look right through you and then lower their eyes. Yes, many do not serve. And they are looked upon exactly like you. Eating Big Macs while your cousins were put in the ground defending our country.

Now, at age 25, with clearly no success in life, like many before you, the fallback dream is "move to Israel and take my place at the head of society". After becoming an army man hero. After decades of people like you, this is exactly why the rules for enlistment have tightened up. The staggering number of 25 and older enlistees who can't get through the psychological interview justifies why it is so dificult for people like you to get in.

Do one or two make it? Sure. They move to Israel for good, become a contributer to society and recognize the value of being a part of something greater than themselves. So they get in. And serve.

Maybe 7 years ago you might have had the chance. But the ever predictable "well now I won't serve because you doodie heads were mean to me" was as predictable as the rest of you.

How sad. A man (chronologically) with no real country.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

johnboy is on a distinguished road

well said once again Rafi

Pini one thing you need to learn is Respect
Old 11-19-2010, 04:24 PM

tuki is on a distinguished road

Hi

i was looking around mahal website but i wasnt sure if all it said similarly applied to cases of "katan hozer"

so i found this forum and thought i might inquire here

if i return to israel as a katan hozer at the age of 22 would i still need to serve 3 years in the IDF, if not how long would i require to serve (if i would even be needed to)
Old 11-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuki View Post
Hi

i was looking around mahal website but i wasnt sure if all it said similarly applied to cases of "katan hozer"

so i found this forum and thought i might inquire here

if i return to israel as a katan hozer at the age of 22 would i still need to serve 3 years in the IDF, if not how long would i require to serve (if i would even be needed to)
Welcome to our site.
Here is the core of the information you are looking for.
Short answer is a minimum of 14 to 18 months.

http://www.mahal-idf-volunteers.org/...athforisraelis

IDF short path for Israeli citizens residing overseas, children of overseas Israelis etc. - Cumulative qualifications:
  • age at enlistment: 18th - 24th birthday | physicians before 36th [if you are older - here]
  • Israeli citizen non-resident of Israel for more than 120 days in in anyone of the calendar years after your 10th birthday
  • None of your parents resides in Israel

After arrival in Israel, you have one of the two options:
    IDF service for min. 14 months (or min. 18 months including army ulpan, if necessary).
    Studying at an Israeli academic institution for the standard time required to get a bachelor's degree (including mandatory preparatory course, if any). The standard periods vary for different fields of study. You are exempted in your standard period from IDF service (mandatory or reserve).

If you first opted for IDF service, you have two options after discharge:
    Leaving Israel: you are not liable for any additional IDF service (mandatory or reserve), even if you return from time to time as a tourist.
    Staying in Israel as a Toshav Hozer (or returning after less than 24 months as a Toshav Hozer): basically, you have to complete the IDF service time which was mandatory for your age at the time of your first arrival in Israel. The extra service time varies due to individual factors; as you can calculate for yourself, this may also be zero (for example if you are too old). In any case, you will be assigned to a Reserve Service unit; the IDF does not, however, always call up all of their reservists every year, and a variety of exemptions are available.

If you first opted for studies in Israel, you have two options after the end of your standard time:
    IDF service for the time which was mandatory for your age at the time of your first arrival in Israel. The extra service time varies due to individual factors; as you can calculate for yourself, this may also be zero (for example if you are too old). In any case, you may be assigned to a Reserve Service unit; the IDF does not, however, always call up all of their reservists every year, and a variety of exemptions are available.
    Leaving Israel (at any time during that year):
    - if you do not return as Toshav Hozer (however, you may visit Israel from time to time): there is no liability for additional IDF service (mandatory or reserve)
    - if you return after more than 24 months as a Toshav Hozer: you will be assigned to a Reserve Service unit; the IDF does not, however, always call up all of their reservists every year, and a variety of exemptions are available
    - if you return after less than 24 months as a Toshav Hozer: basically, you are liable for service in the IDF for the time which was mandatory for your age at the time of your first arrival in Israel. The extra service time varies due to individual factors; as you can calculate for yourself, this may also be zero (for example if you are too old). In any case, you will be assigned to a Reserve Service unit; the IDF does not, however, always call up all of their reservists every year, and a variety of exemptions are available.
  • Register online

IDF regular path for Israeli citizens residing overseas - Cumulative qualifications:

• age at enlistment: 18 and older
  • Israeli citizen resident of Israel for more than 120 days in in anyone of the calendar years after your 10th birthday or at least one of your parents resides in Israel
  • Service time: depending on personal factors - here
  • Register online
Old 11-20-2010, 10:12 AM

tuki is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
Welcome to our site.
Here is the core of the information you are looking for.
Short answer is a minimum of 14 to 18 months.
thanks alot

and if i dont have family/parents in israel would i be counted as a lone soldier?
Old 11-21-2010, 04:28 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuki View Post
thanks alot

and if i dont have family/parents in israel would i be counted as a lone soldier?
All sodiers who don't have parents in Israel are lone soldiers.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:19 PM

I dont see how asking questions means i have no respect. I dont think growing up in America to israeli parents means i owe something to the state of Israel. I dont know why you keep saying im a draft dodger, i was never drafted, i was born and raised here in America. And if i decide to move to Israel to join or not wont be because you guys were nice or mean to me, i was simply looking for some answers. Im not sure why you want to judge the type of person i am based on a few comments and questions I have posted here. Rafi not everyone at the age of 25 wants to join the army because they "failed" in life or want to be army "hereos". I havent failed in anything in life to make me want to join the IDF. I just often find myself defending the state of israel to a bunch of liberal people here in the states quite often which has made me want to physically be able to defend the state of israel not just verbally. Ya i may have lost the chance to wear the IDF uniform but no im not ashamed of myself nor do i think people like you Rafi, need to look down on me.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Dragon

Zeus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Ron View Post
Amazing you can do all that when your IP shows you are in Islamabad in Pakistan baigarman!

And the links to Pakistani websites in your signature have been removed, if you replace them your account will be closed.
I was going through this thread and found your words on that Pakistani, really funny.
BTW was he trying to call himself a 'Bi-German'? Must be an illiterate moron.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:15 PM

And either way i meant no disrespect Rafi.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:00 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

New Ron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
I was going through this thread and found your words on that Pakistani, really funny.
BTW was he trying to call himself a 'Bi-German'? Must be an illiterate moron.
Either that or he mispelled bugger, both ways you're right he must have been illiterate, as the only school he went to in Pakistan are the madrases where they teach how to kill non muslims! I mean who needs to learn how to write, when you're gonna be a martyr!

"If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence.. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel."
~ Golda Meir~

Old 11-24-2010, 01:06 AM
Gold Member

Americal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Ron View Post
Either that or he mispelled bugger, both ways you're right he must have been illiterate, as the only school he went to in Pakistan are the madrases where they teach how to kill non muslims! I mean who needs to learn how to write, when you're gonna be a martyr!
When and if he becomes a martyr is he ever going to be p.o.'d. I can see him now..clap..clap...bring on them 70 virgins.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:57 AM

Tomer is on a distinguished road

Hi I am an Israeli in the us and although I'm serving in the idf in 3 years I can't wait and I'd love to help out in the army I want to join the paratroopers but one problem i have contacts -2.25 -2.50 will this affect me will I not be able to join it's my dream to become a paratrooper please answer iv been wondering for months
Israel Forum