Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Israeli Military Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Israeli Military Discussion Forum GENERAL Topics Relating To Israel & Its National Security, Latest news and Analysis.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:35 PM

_Lomed_Ivrit_to is on a distinguished road

Greetings combatants.
My case is similar to that of captain bigduke1.
I speak a little Hebrew (am learning).
I was Serve the Brazilian army as a soldier (2003), 1 year, and I'm 25 years old, now. Im in university.
My doubt is: where in this year of 2010 and 2011 can I perform in Israel and in what cities to get in Sar-el?
Note:(Ani) a volunteer, TZionist and a great admirer of the IDF.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:11 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

New Ron is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the board.

"If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence.. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel."
~ Golda Meir~

Old 07-18-2010, 03:17 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Lomed_Ivrit_to View Post
Greetings combatants.
My case is similar to that of captain bigduke1.
I speak a little Hebrew (am learning).
I was Serve the Brazilian army as a soldier (2003), 1 year, and I'm 25 years old, now. Im in university.
My doubt is: where in this year of 2010 and 2011 can I perform in Israel and in what cities to get in Sar-el?
Note:(Ani) a volunteer, TZionist and a great admirer of the IDF.

Welcome to the board!

Here is the information you want for a local contact to discuss Sar-El.

Sar-El in Brazil

Brazilian Representative:Israel Blajberg
Visc Cabo Frio 25/402
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
20510-160
E-mail: IBLAJ@hotmail.com
Old 07-18-2010, 04:13 AM

yisroelmeir is on a distinguished road

does anyone have information about volunteering for the idf for a couple of weeks i going there for the summer and i want to help out in some way
Old 07-18-2010, 06:23 AM
Dragon

Forums_Addict is on a distinguished road

Have a look at the Sar-el website and they will advise you. Hope you have a great time!

Old 07-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

scelli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yisroelmeir View Post
does anyone have information about volunteering for the idf for a couple of weeks i going there for the summer and i want to help out in some way
Wow! Someone who actually is unselfish and willing to put the IDF's needs ahead of his own by helping in any way needed. Kudos to you, my friend!

Old 08-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Dragon

Default A young lady's experience with Sar-el

Here is a younger person's take on her experience with Sar-el, as it is for all ages from late teens onwards, provided a person is well-supportive of Israel and is fit.

This was taken from the Sar-el website:

http://www.sar-el.org/Cliona%20Campbell.html

Our Only Resource is Our People

By Cliona Campbell

"What makes," my mother began earnestly "a nice girl like you get involved with one of the most hated armies on earth?"

I’ve never been a compulsive person, or a thrill seeker, quite the contrary, I’m one of the most reserved and skeptical people you will ever meet. Yet my decision to fly 5,000km across the globe from my comfortable suburban existence to the sweltering heat and harsh discipline of the Israeli army was never one based on impulse. Ever since the age of nine, I have been captivated by the Jewish people - a nation which has endured hatred, persecution and genocide, and yet still retains an unyielding will to survive, unifying them in an unbreakable kinship.

But why the army? I had watched the injustice during Cast Lead, where after eight years of incessant rockets, Israel cried enough and was villainised for the deaths caused by terrorists who used their own people as human shields, hiding cowardly in densely populated civilian areas, brandishing their dead shamelessly before the media. I couldn’t stand by another day and see the people I cherish being discredited before the world and wanted to show solidarity to the Jewish nation.

After speaking with an American who spent a semester at my college, she suggested partaking in an organization called Sar-El, which organized groups of volunteers from various backgrounds across the globe to work on Israeli army bases. The minute I heard about it, I knew this was for me, and began an intensive course of online Hebrew lessons. It wasn’t long before I was standing in Dublin International Airport, my face streaked with tears from an emotional farewell to my family as I wielded sunhats and a monstrous wheelie bag, ready to embark on my two month adventure. The minute I arrived, an announcement blared on the loudspeakers, politely requesting that passengers refrain from carrying guns in the airport terminal. I was in Israel. And with that, I was bussed into the unknown.

Volunteers in the army are not afforded preferential treatment. We don the same canvas uniforms, sleep on the same squeaky bunk beds, survive on the same sustenance of eggs, eggs, and a side order of humus, and carry out work that the soldiers themselves would otherwise be doing. During my time in Sar-El, I worked on two army bases- one in the lush greenery of northern Israel and the other in the barren desert climate of the Negev. We partook in a variety of work, including painting equipment, packing kitbags, sorting uniforms and- my favorite- disassembling, oiling and reassembling M240s.

By night we would sit cross legged outside the barracks with the combat soldiers, their cumbersome M16s slung across their knees as we chatted animatedly about our favorite bands and Tel Aviv hang-outs. We giggled at the English mistakes of our newfound friends, such as Daniel’s solemn advice of “If you have a problem, just whisper in my eye and I’ll sort it out for you.”

Everyone soon found their place on the base, and I felt a sense of pride when they would fondly call on their "gingit" (redhead) or “gezer” (carrot) to translate for them.

One night, I began to converse with a stout, burly Russian soldier. He spoke of how he had always felt a sense of shame for not being legitimately Jewish due to his mixed parentage. “But since I came here,” he gestured to the floodlit base with its looming wire fences strangled by dry desert shrubbery “I feel that I finally belong. In the army, there are Jews, Christians, even Arab Bedouin Muslims- it just doesn’t matter- we wear the same uniform, sleep in the same bunk beds and ask the same question- ad matai?” I smiled at the familiar phrase- ‘until when?’ the question on every soldier’s lips as they eagerly await the exciting adventure that lies before them following their release from the IDF.

For the first time, I gazed at the myriad of faces surrounding me. Moroccans, Russians, Yemenites, Ethiopians- a cacophony of races and origins, all sporting the same khaki green uniform, all calling each other ‘achi’- ‘my brother’. [The Russian soldier I had been talking with] took the hat from his head, embroidered with the bold red fox of his Givati brigade, and placed it in my hands with utmost sincerity. And for the first time, I felt a sense of genuine belonging; that the canary yellow ‘tzahal’ (‘IDF’) emblazoned on my chest was truly mine.

The final day of volunteering felt almost like a bereavement as we wheeled our bags towards the bus. Pulling away up the dusty track and through the security gates, the commander’s words echoed in my mind. “We have no oil, no precious metals, and a chronic water shortage,” he had begun “The only resource we do have is our people.”

Old 08-16-2010, 12:44 AM

RONIN_13769 is on a distinguished road

Where can I find information on this type of trip leaving from the United States? Thanks

Rick
Old 08-16-2010, 01:39 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONIN_13769 View Post
Where can I find information on this type of trip leaving from the United States? Thanks

Rick
Got to a search engine and type:

Sar-el United States
Old 08-16-2010, 02:28 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

New Ron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
Got to a search engine and type:

Sar-el United States
So wearing red shoes and clapping them twice doesnt work anymore?

"If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence.. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel."
~ Golda Meir~

Old 08-16-2010, 06:12 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Ron View Post
So wearing red shoes and clapping them twice doesnt work anymore?
There's no place like home....(Israel).... there's no place like home....(Israel).... there's no place like home..... (Israel).

Old 08-17-2010, 08:56 PM

Cli_123 is on a distinguished road

Awwww thanks for posting my article Forums_Addict! :P It's been so crazy to see it in so many places... so far, it's been popping up in Hebrew, Russian and English- a little overwhelming lol
Old 08-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Dragon

Ahh hiya, a little birdie not a million miles away from you confirmed it was you. You are very welcome. I often go on the homepage of the site, and you were on the New section, and I thought your article was so well written. I am pleased you posted it, and as you can tell just under your article on here, someone enquired having seen that and other posts on here. Do you have plans to go back?

Old 08-17-2010, 09:12 PM

Definitely!! I really, really couldn’t recommend this programme more- you have the most amazing experiences and form some of the best friendships you’ll ever make, not to mention all the funny moments!! I can honestly say that I was never so happy as when I was there- with Sar-El, you’re extremely well taken care of and it has excellent facilities such as the Beit Oded hostel which is free to volunteers on the weekends is literally a stone’s throw from a really gorgeous beach- lol, heaven! No better way to have a taster of the 'army experience' and really get to interact with and really undestand the young soldiers who are doing this as part of their everyday life. Plus, I must agree with Philtang- Sar-El in my opinion is just as honourable as any mahal or full-time army programme- after all, people are choosing to serve in someone elses country doing menial tasks for no pay whatsoever and often when they themselves are not Jewish. If that's not love, I don't know what is
Old 08-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Dragon

And ladies and gentleman of the forum, if that is not a good recommendation then I don't know what is! The above poster wrote an article on her experience as a volunteer with Sar-el which you can read just a few posts up from here.

By the way Cli, my daughter is starting her gap year next week, flying off to Jerusalem, doing some vountary schemes etc., including Sar-el. She is looking forward to it so much. Then she will come back for a week or two then go back to stay with friends of hers who live in Haifa until she is enlisted in the IDF and making aliyah. The gap year counts as part of the 1 year residency before a person can join the IDF. I wish I were her!!!

Again Cli, many many thanks for writing that article which I am sure many on here will find helpful and informative, and if it can persuade just a few people to give it a try then that will be brilliant.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:46 PM

Wooooow all I can say is- your daughter is one very lucky girl! She really will have an amazing experience! And mazal tov on deciding to make aliyah! I wish her all the bet with it! If she has any Sar-El questions I'd be more than happy to help out, just drop a line on here or I can give my email address by PM!
Old 08-18-2010, 06:44 AM
Dragon

Great thanks so much Cli.

There is a whole youth group of them going so of course she will have back-up and guidance and I will bear your kind offer in mind. She is taking her tiny laptop with her so I am sure she will contact you once I give her your details.

Would you mind if you publish any more articles on the net about your own experience of Sar-el that you could also publish it on this particular thread which is now a 'sticky.'

I am sure your experience will be helpful to young and older people wanting to do their bit to help Israel and to get someone's experience first-hand as it were would be helpful.

Of course though please always remember the basic rules of posting an experience of Sar-el on the net.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Dragon

Thumbs up Interested in learning more? Watch these!

Arlene Hanauer is from the Philadelphia region and paricipated as a VFI volunteer in 2006. Her video story covers elements of her entire adventure including weekend explorations and post-trip camel rides.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:03 PM

Shanghi is on a distinguished road

Ah Forum_Addict no fair!! What i would give for being 20 again & being given the opertunity to go to Israel! Your daughter is so blessed! I to have a daughter she not old enough yet but she also keen on going! Gosh I am so jealous! Cli_123 Much respect & well done! I am sure that the memories & friends you made will last you a life time! You have done your family proud!
Old 08-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Dragon

Lol, I know Shanghi. Teens can go on Sar-el but if under 18 they must be a certain minimum age and go with a responsible adult. I am not sure exactly what age, so maybe look it up.

Israel Forum