Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Army Related Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Army Related Forum Topics about the Israeli armed forces, special forces, tanks, apc's, guns etc + world armies.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:37 AM

gymtwin21 is on a distinguished road
Default Eyesight

I'm sure you've gotten this question dozens of times, but I haven't found an answer that addresses all the options.

I am strongly considering making aliyah and enlisting in the IDF. I want to challenge myself and go as far as possible in terms of units. The one drawback is I have a -5.00 and -5.50 vision correction. I wear contacts regularly and can physically perform fine in them. Other than this I am in good physical condition.

a) Will my vision prevent me from a 97 profile?

b) Is there a chance I get invited to yom sayarot?

c) If not yom sayarot, can I try out for Maglan, Duvdevan, Egoz, Yahalom through the appropriate General Infantry unit's gibbush? What about palsar, palchan, orev?

d) I can be in a normal infantry unit, right?

Thank you!
Old 05-05-2011, 02:24 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

New Ron is on a distinguished road

Shalom and welcome to the forum!

I hope you get the answer you are looking for soon. Please avoid double posting unless really warranted.

"If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence.. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel."
~ Golda Meir~

Old 05-05-2011, 04:56 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymtwin21 View Post
I'm sure you've gotten this question dozens of times, but I haven't found an answer that addresses all the options.

I am strongly considering making aliyah and enlisting in the IDF. I want to challenge myself and go as far as possible in terms of units. The one drawback is I have a -5.00 and -5.50 vision correction. I wear contacts regularly and can physically perform fine in them. Other than this I am in good physical condition.

a) Will my vision prevent me from a 97 profile?

b) Is there a chance I get invited to yom sayarot?

c) If not yom sayarot, can I try out for Maglan, Duvdevan, Egoz, Yahalom through the appropriate General Infantry unit's gibbush? What about palsar, palchan, orev?

d) I can be in a normal infantry unit, right?

Thank you!
Welcome to the board. Some questions before I can give you an accurate answer:

How old are you?
Would you qualify for citizenship under the law of return?
How did (do) you do in school?
How fluent are you in hebrew.

Pending on the answers to these questions, your eyesight might be irrelevant.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:36 PM

I'll be 18 years old this summer.

I qualify for Israeli citizenship under the law of return (both my parents are Jewish.)

I do very well in school.

Pretty fluent. I was raised bilingually (by American parents) so I speak Hebrew on a regular basis and have been through 12 years of Jewish education. I am comfortable conversing with Israelis in Hebrew. I can pick up an Israeli newspaper and understand about 70% of an article.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

OK, thank you for the response.

If you go MAHAL, then your opportunities are very limited - 97% or more go infantry. Sounds liketha would work for you. A few to tanks, and less than 2 or 3 people on average a year go anything else.

As to aliyah. After you make aliyah you have a residency requirement. After that year, you go in. The real numbers of olim getting into elite units are stark, but I have never had anyone post on this board who thought they weren't in the top fifth percentile on earth, so here goes:

More than 95 % of all slots are filled by High School Juniors who have been tracked and recruited. They are recommended by siblings, parents aunts uncles grandparents who served in the units previously, and are considered sort of like "legacies" in the US college system. They are the top 5% of all High School graduates in Israel, who were the captains of the soccer team, basketball team, Honor Society and so on. Minimal written and oral hebrew at college entry level.

As a new immigrant, after you go into the service, it is up to your commanders to decide who gets to participate or compete in a Yom Sayeret. We look for team players, the early volunteers for all tasks, who are the people other soldiers go to for help. While being able to run a mile in 11 seconds is important, we are more interested in who came in 4th, while carrying his fallen friend. In group tasks we are looking for those who excel in group problem solving skills based upon growing up in an Israeli culture. The reality is, despite urban legends, again less than 3 or 4 olim a year make these advanced units. Remember - Yom Sayeret is to fill in the missing spaces, not a mass recruitment. You compete against all the "perfect" Israelis who did not have any other path into the unit.

Serving in the IDF is a calling, the basis of which is to serve Israel. If you will not be happy or willing to be a truck driver for 3 years, for example, (allot of immigrants end up drivers) in order to serve Israel, then you most likely will be miserable in the IDF. It's just the way it is.

Only other thought is, if you don't have plan for the day after you get out of the army, you will not succeed in the army. It is not a place to "find yourself". It is lonely, confusing, and frankly the IDF will not go out of it's way for you. Read the MAHAL website for recent feedback from those who have the most recent experience.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

http://www.mahal-idf-volunteers.org/...tm#eyeproblems

I have poor eye sight.

You can qualify for IDF service even with a low health profile.
Severe vision impairment would significantly lower your health profile and disqualify you from entering certain units, but this would depend on the degree of the impairment.

not so difficult to find.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

New Ron is on a distinguished road

As always thanks for your in-sight Rafi! I'm sure gymtwin21 will be quite satisfied with your response :)

"If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence.. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel."
~ Golda Meir~

Old 05-05-2011, 08:54 PM

Thanks, Rafi, for your response. You put things into perspective.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

My goal isn't to burst a bubble, but just to give people the reality from those of us who have actually done it.

What I did not get a chance to say, and it shouldhave been included, is that despite all the hurdles,it will be one of the most rewarding, and defining actions of your life. We are an exclusive club - veterans, and those of us who are veterans of the IDF are the luckiest of all.
Israel Forum