Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Army Related Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Army Related Forum Topics about the Israeli armed forces, special forces, tanks, apc's, guns etc + world armies.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:08 PM

Israeliman is on a distinguished road
Default Tironut Program in Israel ?

I have a family member who is deaf and uses American Sign Language. He goes to the school for the deaf and is about ready to go to a university for the deaf in the USA.

If I decide to make aliyah with my family then will my son have to go through military training ? I have been hearing about the tironut program for deaf people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tironut
Old 05-30-2011, 12:25 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israeliman View Post
I have a family member who is deaf and uses American Sign Language. He goes to the school for the deaf and is about ready to go to a university for the deaf in the USA.

If I decide to make aliyah with my family then will my son have to go through military training ? I have been hearing about the tironut program for deaf people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tironut
Tironut is the hebrew word for "basic training".
There is a tironut for the hearing impared, using
Israeli Sign Language. There are numerous resources on the net where you can explore the differences.

To answer your question in it's most literal sense, no, most
likely your son would not have to go the the army. I will say that
the population of handicapped who serve in the IDF is not small.
If you make aliyah, he spends time in Israel and then becomes of service
age, I would not be surprised if a petition to serve were accepted.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:01 AM

Rafi, Can you send more information about the program in pm please ? Thank you.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:01 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

It's not a program. You have to appreciate this aspect of Israeli society.

Everyone in the army is treated equal. Everyone. Now I know, he is deaf.
But as a country of universal conscription, the army is filled with people of different abilities. A 6' 11" conscript will not fit in a cockpit, but there are thousands of other tasks in the military. We'll use him where we can.

We excuse people from completing tasks, be it in tiranut or on their base, but once in the army, your son is only deaf. He will be placed in a situation in the IDF where he can best serve the IDF and serve himself. I guess that best sums it up.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:16 AM

Understood and I think we will cross that bridge once make aliyah to Israel and that time comes to talk to my son about military service.

I really hope someday Israel will experience peace to a point where conspriction is not necessary.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:54 PM

One more thing, will my deaf daughter have to go in the military ? She is still too young and my 2nd oldest son is deaf and of military age.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

There are really two classifications of children when it comes to determining who will serve. Children who arrive at age 12 and grow up
within society until every single one of their friends goes in, end up going in as well. Female olim who arrive around age 19 or 20 generally don't.

Now I realize your next post will most likely be what about 15 year olds, what about 16.3 year olds, what about those deaf in one ear, and so on. Israel is 100% subjective in making decisions. Annoying to Americans who really can't understand why the entire world doesn't work the way American justice (sort of) works.

There are no definitive answers, and certainly anyone offering them is dangerous to you. The most valuable advice I can offer is to decide what your preferences are prior to making aliyah, negotiate them at the embassy and get something in writing. Difficult? certainly. But the only path to definitive answers.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:42 PM

Thank you.
Israel Forum