Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Navy Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navy Forum Israeli Navy discussion, submarines, frigates and Israeli naval forces + Navy's from other nations.

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 09:19 PM

xGabriel is on a distinguished road
Default How do I join the Israeli's Navy?

I am 21 years old and joining the IDF was my dream since I was 16, I never got around to doing it because school got in the way. I know I will regret this later on in life if I don't pursue it.

Do you have to attend the IDF for 3 years first before joining the Navy?
Please tell me any information you know.

Is it like the US Army, you take a test and based on the score you choose a job you fit in?
Old 04-27-2014, 03:03 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

The Israeli Navy ceased taking non-native Israelis into their service a few years ago.
Other piece of information I know - they speak Hebrew in the military there. only.

Which means of course the vocational test is in Hebrew as well.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:51 PM

judea is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
The Israeli Navy ceased taking non-native Israelis into their service a few years ago.
Other piece of information I know - they speak Hebrew in the military there. only.

Which means of course the vocational test is in Hebrew as well.
I also heard rumors about this, but it is inaccurate. I am not sure what their policy exactly is, but I know two soldiers in the navy in non-combat roles, and there are quite a few olim in shayetet. I think the rules against olim serving was in the submarines? It most definitely does not apply to the entire navy, that would be absurd.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

New Ron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by judea View Post
I also heard rumors about this, but it is inaccurate. I am not sure what their policy exactly is, but I know two soldiers in the navy in non-combat roles, and there are quite a few olim in shayetet. I think the rules against olim serving was in the submarines? It most definitely does not apply to the entire navy, that would be absurd.
Its not a rumor if Rafi said so. lol

Hey folks, listen to Rafi he is an IAF veteran and runs that Mahal website in his signature, he is a reliable authority on the IDF recruitment. When it comes to the IDF he gets his info directly from IDF liasons.

He is a bit exasperated by the same questions asked again and again, when a simple search on this forum search area will make you see all the answers to your questions, or go to his website and you can get in depth answers there on their threads.

On other subjects like unicorns, that would be more my specialty. -_-

"If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence.. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel."
~ Golda Meir~

Old 05-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Dragon

David of Galilee is on a distinguished road

The real issue is DUAL citizenship. Since Israeli law recognizes all Jews anywhere in the world as having the right of citizenship by virtue of Jewish birth, and Jews do not go through any naturalization process to activate citizenship (just a bureaucratic procedure), keeping an Israeli out of any job or function because he or she is not a Sabra Israel, would set uncomfortably. Polish-born Ben Gurion was not born and raised here. Nor was Ukrainian-born Golda Mer. They both held the highest office in the land, and were both 100% Israeli. Any Sabra-Only law would remove 25% of the potential recruitment pool. Among the best educated. Israeli submarine officers objected to even excluding dual nationals, although they lost that one.
IDF submarine fleet bans dual citizenship
Candidates for prestigious unit now required to renounce foreign citizenship
Yoav Zitun. Published: 02.08.12, 19:07 / Israel News

The IDF now demands that new candidates for service in Israel's submarine fleet waive their foreign citizenship in order to join the elite unit.
Full article HERE

Last edited by David of Galilee; 05-05-2014 at 09:49 AM..
Old 06-18-2014, 03:00 AM

macabeinalright is on a distinguished road
Default Olim

Quote:
I live in arizona (US) and have been thinking and praying long and hard about joining, my hope would be to be s'13. I would really like to know if they would even accept me into training and what I would have to do.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabeinalright View Post
I live in arizona (US) and have been thinking and praying long and hard about joining, my hope would be to be s'13. I would really like to know if they would even accept me into training and what I would have to do.
Shayetet 13 accepts olim, this I know for a fact. And no, at this moment, you would not have to give up your previous citizenship.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Dragon

David of Galilee is on a distinguished road

It is tough for a bright, physically fit Sabra or a Vatik with all the good stuff in his file to make the grade for navy commando. So do have a thought to other options. Many who don't make it are still excellent candidates for other challenging positions.

As said, Hebrew language skills are a must!
Old 06-25-2014, 03:41 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Shayetet 13 accepts olim, this I know for a fact. And no, at this moment, you would not have to give up your previous citizenship.
It is always uncomfortable to suggest that long time posters might not have the best information available to offer to others.
Immigrants in Shayetet 13 - This occurs by the way about once every ten years, or one in about 2500,000+, how many olim get into the "major" Sayarot. We get so few immigrants to this site who are fluent (and literate) in high school graduate hebrew, swim like a fish, can carry 200 kilo for 40 kilometers and were in the top 5% of their graduating class.

Regarding immigrant eligibility for the Israel Navy, check with the web site of the government of Israel. When you read what they say, my advice remains: Despite 35+ years in the IDF I would never recommend to anyone to renounce their birth citizenship, a step that is irreversable.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
It is always uncomfortable to suggest that long time posters might not have the best information available to offer to others.
Immigrants in Shayetet 13 - This occurs by the way about once every ten years, or one in about 2500,000+, how many olim get into the "major" Sayarot. We get so few immigrants to this site who are fluent (and literate) in high school graduate hebrew, swim like a fish, can carry 200 kilo for 40 kilometers and were in the top 5% of their graduating class.

Regarding immigrant eligibility for the Israel Navy, check with the web site of the government of Israel. When you read what they say, my advice remains: Despite 35+ years in the IDF I would never recommend to anyone to renounce their birth citizenship, a step that is irreversable.
Where are these statistics coming from? I have been in the active army in the last 10 years, and I still have friends, some who enlisted relatively recently. Ask people who are actually in a sayeret if they have somebody in their tsevet who was not born in Israel. Chances are they do. No, in Matkal there are not a lot of new immigrants, but there are at least a few, because I know them personally.

Shayetet, same thing. I know people that are new immigrants in this unit. In the end, only one finished maslul, the other two were dropped because one had medical issues and the other didn't learn Hebrew to a high enough level by midway through maslul.

Once every 10 years an immigrant makes it into Shayetet, and once every 5 minutes somebody posts something untrue on the internet without having any actual firsthand knowledge about it. I'm sure that Rafi has a lot of information on the army, but information about recent statistics relating to gibbushim and to the active army service? This type of knowledge would only be available to people who have done gibbushim or served in sayerot recently, people like me.

And once again, I AM COMPLETELY 100% SURE THAT SHAYETET WILL NOT MAKE YOU RENOUNCE YOUR CITIZENSHIP. Why? Because my friends are still Canadian and American and even went on meyuchedet during their service to visit their families there.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:31 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

The trend in the IDF right now is a leaner more professional service. While over 15,000 Keva forces are being phased out, there is also a large shift of keva into Special Forces/Services roles.

Certain units in the IDF has decided that they wish to further restrict eligibility.

Are there foreign born troops in some of these services? Yes. Unquestionably. Is there an honest realistic chance that someone off the street reading this web site is going to be one of them in the future? I think the biggest problem with IDF recruiting today is that you and myriad others believe so.

Anyone who wears the uniform is hero. It is not easy to wear, and often is expensive.
And there are a million reasons why a million guys have the most important tours.