Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Social > Religion
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Religion Discuss religious beliefs.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:53 AM

Esco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by odie072 View Post
If I were to fly on that thing they called a plane at the time, I probably would have turned to religion too!!

odie
Hahaha.....good point

And cute_assassin, I got your PM but I cant send PM's yet, so I cant respond.

The link you wanted you can find on youtube. Type "dawkins o'reilly interview" in search and its 4th video down.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Gold Member

blueblood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If I were to fly on that thing they called a plane at the time, I probably would have turned to religion too!!

odie

Good one Odie, I bet they were chanting God's name all along.

OMG OMG OMG

@Esco, the point is right now science is providing us more and more means and examples to be closer to it as compared to religion. We can see wonders of science everywhere around us but miracles of religion not so much.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:35 PM

Esco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblood View Post
Esco, the point is right now science is providing us more and more means and examples to be closer to it as compared to religion. We can see wonders of science everywhere around us but miracles of religion not so much
I would argue that God (the one from the Hebrew Bible) has given us the world, life, the universe...etc, and that would IMO include all sciences.
If it wasnt for Him we wouldnt even exist.

However, I will agree that many churches and religions dont practice what they preach and therefore cause unnecessary divisions, wars...etc.
But you can say the same for atheism, its given us Pol Pot, Napoleon, Stalin...etc.

I dont really like to get into discussion about religion though, it brings out the worst in some people.
Very, very few people can discuss this topic without throwing hissyfits (thats a statement in general, not directed at you btw)
Old 06-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Retired
Photobucket

odie072 is on a distinguished road

Just remember this one little statement concerning religion. It's not G_d that makes religion imperfect, it's man.

odie
That might of been the sad end of the story. But Nemo refused to give in without a fight. Ignoring his serious head wound, the 85 pound dog threw himself at the Vietcong guerrillas who had opened fire. Nemo's ferocious attack brought Thorneburg the time he needed to call in backup forces.

Although severely wounded, Nemo crawled to his master and covered him with his body.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Just remember this one little statement concerning religion. It's not G_d that makes religion imperfect, it's man.

odie
No offense odie but religion itself is a man made creation.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Retired
Photobucket

odie072 is on a distinguished road

Blueblood, that is your personal opinion, which you are entitled to. The quote I made was in response to Esco's:

Quote: "However, I will agree that many churches and religions dont practice what they preach and therefore cause unnecessary divisions, wars...etc.
But you can say the same for atheism, its given us Pol Pot, Napoleon, Stalin...etc."

Your statement is a whole 'nother argument within itself. My statement wasn't made to open up that argument, but to quantify Esco's statement.

I'd rather not get into a "yes, there is, no there isn't" argument, because not only is it emotional, it tends to get others involved, then someone gets mad, and now we have an issue on the forum. It's a personal decision, that everyone has/should have the right to make. The only reason I entered into this discussion in the first place, was due to a troll, who made a very irrational argument(Religion vs Star Wars=Religious violence vs "Star Wars" violence). Had it not been for that ridiculous, trolling statement, I wouldn't have been in the discussion.

odie
That might of been the sad end of the story. But Nemo refused to give in without a fight. Ignoring his serious head wound, the 85 pound dog threw himself at the Vietcong guerrillas who had opened fire. Nemo's ferocious attack brought Thorneburg the time he needed to call in backup forces.

Although severely wounded, Nemo crawled to his master and covered him with his body.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Gold Member

Exactly, as a citizen of free world you are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.

This topic has no conclusion, never was and never will.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Knaur is on a distinguished road

^^ That's why I am an Agnostic
A war generating battles is ‘curse’ not ‘mirth’.

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9
Old 11-02-2011, 01:26 PM

oldsoul is on a distinguished road

there are two things a dieing man asks for mom and God, there is no atheists ln a fox hole. Oldsoul 82nd. airborne 69=71
Old 11-02-2011, 01:39 PM

ZparklingAngel is on a distinguished road

As a jew I don't think anything speciall about atheists, I believe we are all
ment to take different ways in life :)
Old 01-28-2012, 05:43 AM
Dragon

David of Galilee is on a distinguished road

God is behind Israel's very raison d'etre. Even many atheists in Israel believe in God and the prophets. Many do not believe in Rabbinic Judaism, or any organised religion, but have not in fact tossed God Himself in the rubbish bin.

Science is a system of exploration and analysis which attempts to describe the physical, material world and its properties. Why earth would it be thought appropriate or sophisticated enough to declare that God doesn't exist? I have great respect for science and scientists, and indeed both my parents were university professors who engaged for decades in pure and applied research in the biological sciences. Neither were atheists.

EVOLUTION AND THE TANAKH: I see nothing in the Hebrew language which forbids God from using processes in any act of creation. Evolution itself isn't the real point of contention, but rather, whether God exists, or genuinely random "forces" just happened to result in what we see. My own father lectured on evolution and believed in God. Maybe in America this is more of a sticking point?

In my nearly 60 years, most atheists I have known personally have relented with time, often citing the dogmatic nature of atheism, and its blind assumptions as unsatisfying answers to the Big questions. Youthful atheism especially is as impermanent as it is impertinent, just as religious zealotry can be in younger people. A committed life-long certainty that there is no God is another matter, but at least here in Israel I have met very, very few older atheists.

What I do NOT believe in, is antagonistic or circular arguments with atheists. Most are perfectly fine people, and I prefer to keep hailing frequencies open. I have faith that God can reach them in His own way, so I have learned to keep my trenching shovel folded.

And no, I cannot just enjoy a garden without being awed by God. As to fairies in the garden, or invisible friends, or personal psychological or spiritual needs, or private pathways, this has nought to do with belief in God. I don't think of belief in God as a rational, or irrational, choice; nor is it personal philosophy or cultural norm. He presented Himself, and I am sure that I don't know the half of it! This has certainly never made me religious, or made me resent or detest atheists, either.

Last edited by David of Galilee; 01-28-2012 at 06:05 AM..
Old 01-29-2012, 12:43 PM

reardon is on a distinguished road

I think the atheist is...someone who don't do homework well on studying God...someone who jumped into conclusion too quickly before processing
the whole data.

G-d exist whether human believe in Him/Her or not.
If there's no G-d, no after life, then my life after death is fine, is same with the atheist.

But what if there is in fact such thing as G-d....what if there is such thing as "an afterlife"
what would the atheist face in the afterlife? What would he do in the presence of The Most Highest, The Force, The Cube, The One?

I like to play my cards safe, I choose to believe in God, let my mind rested in that area and focused in other areas. If there's no God, well, I had nothing to lose. Guess its not a bad thing being a nice person and become a believer in God at the same time.

Last edited by reardon; 01-29-2012 at 12:47 PM..
Old 01-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Dragon

David of Galilee is on a distinguished road

Pascal's Wager, or William James' Gamble--the idea that it doesn't hurt to cover all possibilities, and since disbelief offers nothing, go with some kind of notion that God probably exists. Fine as far as it goes, but still more of a calculated form of agnosticism, and considerably distant from actual belief.

However, if that's where someone is, than that's where they are.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:42 AM

reardon is on a distinguished road

Hi David, tks for putting up the correct terminology to my thoughts.

I deliberately blur out my comment above to avoid be seen as "preaching your religion" in this forum. Which is a no-no.

I do know who I believe, my G-d is not nameless
Israel Forum