Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Social > History of the World
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Paparock is on a distinguished road
Exclamation A New Documentary Exposes the U.N.'s DNA

A New Documentary Exposes the U.N.'s DNA
A fascinating, disturbing, and often humorous ride through the corruption, criminal activity, ineffectual bureaucracy, and profound uselessness of an institution that was initially created to fight the bad guys and address the problems related to war and peace
By Lauri B. Regan

http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/...e_uns_dna.html

When I was in grade school, I was given a UNICEF collection box every year with marching orders to solicit donations from family, friends and neighbors. My parents always had me toss the box in the garbage explaining that the United Nations was an anti-Semitic organization and we would not support its projects.

Decades later, my children were still sent home from school every year before Halloween with a UNICEF collection box and instructions to take it along while trick-or-treating. Like my parents, my initial reaction was to forbid my children from collecting money for the U. N. It was not just the anti-Semitism emanating from the organization that caused this visceral reaction. It was my awareness of the corruption and dysfunction that permeated that institution that infuriated me every time I drove by the headquarters on the East River, passed a diplomat's car double parked wherever it chose in Midtown Manhattan, or got stuck in traffic delays due to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad once again coming to New York to address the General Assembly. But that was difficult to explain to my children as well as adults who questioned my evident callousness at not supporting this organization founded on idealistic hopes and dreams.

Well not anymore. In a brief and entertaining 93 minutes, Ami Horowitz and Matt Groff, writers, producers, and directors of the documentary, U.N. Me, take the viewer on a fascinating, disturbing, and often humorous ride through the corruption, criminal activity, ineffectual bureaucracy, and profound uselessness of an institution that was initially created to fight the bad guys and address the problems related to war and peace. As Horowitz, also the star of the film, explains, "In the aftermath of World War II, the leaders of the world created the UN to ensure global security and protect human rights."

Alas, by the end of the movie the viewer is left with a sick feeling knowing that the $8 billion of U.S. funding of the U.N. in 2010[i] is being used to finance some of the world's worst atrocities and line the pockets of many of the vilest dictators and despots in modern history. As Claudia Rosett explains, "It's a culture that has a lot in common with dictatorships. It's what you'd find in despotisms, not in democratic societies. Secrecy and privilege. And that's unfortunately what's come from that utopian charter."

This Michael Moore-style documentary so artfully and skillfully produced by Horowitz and Groff appropriately begins and ends with Ahmadinejad taking the stage as the keynote speaker at the U.N's premiere human rights conference in 2009 in Geneva. At the start of the film, Horowitz questions the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights and Conference Director as to how Ahmadinejad was chosen as the keynote speaker. There was no substantive answer - how could there be?

Horowitz ties the film together by returning to this theme at the end. In an interview with an Iranian diplomat defending his government's human rights record, the Iranian explains that each country may have its own standard of human rights based on cultural differences. So when Iran forces sex change operations on suspected homosexuals and stones women for untold number of reasons, they are simply enforcing laws based on cultural differences rather than abusing an individual's right to live. Horowitz's sarcasm once again gets the better of his interviewee as he hugs him goodbye and asks, "You like my shirt? It's not too gay is it?" The irony is not lost on the viewer as the film then points out that Iran was elected to the U.N. Commission on the Status of Women, the agency assigned with protecting the rights of women across the globe.[ii]

Just as Iran does not believe that there should be one standard of human rights, the U.N. apparently believes that there should not be one definition of terrorism. In one segment of the film, Horowitz interviews Javier Ruperez, whose title of Executive Director of the Counter-Terrorism Executive Directorate of the Counter-Terrorism Committee of the Security Council in and of itself reflects the messy bureaucracy plaguing this dysfunctional institution. You cannot make this stuff up and the filmmakers do not have to.

The U.N.'s Counter-Terrorism Committee was created as a response to the attacks on 9/11. Ruperez explained that 9/11 "was the day that was the moment when the whole world came to realize that we were facing a new and very serious threat." But apparently, no one in the U.N. hierarchy truly understands the threat since, as Ruperez explains, "[T]he United Nations so far has not been able to define terrorism."

So what exactly does the Committee do to combat terrorism? They fill out "reports" and when a country does not comply they send "missions" and they "talk to them." Not surprisingly, the Committee has never denounced a nation as having ties to terrorism. And when Horowitz pointed out that Syria, despite its numerous connections to terrorism and terrorist organizations, was elected to sit on the Security Council just months after 9/11, Ruperez responded, "there are a number of countries which certainly could improve their performance as far as terrorism is concerned." Indeed.

Other segments of the film address the corruption of the U.N.'s peacekeepers in Cote D'Ivoire (which includes rampant sexual abuse and gunning down of unarmed civilians), the ineffectiveness of the International Atomic Energy Agency established to prevent nations from acquiring nuclear weapons (and under whose watch Iran is moving ever closer to attaining that goal as it sits as vice chair of a disarmament commission), and the abuse that occurred in the "biggest scam in the history of humanitarian relief," also known as Oil for Food.

But one of the most disturbing segments of U.N.Me is entitled "1,000 people every 20 minutes." That was the number of innocent people killed in the genocide that took place in Rwanda in 1994 due to the failure of Kofi Annan, then U.N. head of peacekeeping missions, to authorize intervention despite having a mission in place ready and willing to act. The film does a superb job of walking the viewer through the background leading up to the extermination of the Rwandan people and the callousness and disregard for human life that occurred under the U.N. watch.

Ironically, the U.N. human rights body is supposed to be the first line of defense against Holocaust-type atrocities. But as U.N. Me illustrates, the world's worst human rights violators avoid condemnation by sitting on the very body that allows the persecution and abuses to continue.

Governments who care the least about upholding the U.N. Charter's principles have the most to say about how they will be defended. Such upholders of human rights as Saddam Hussein's Iraq, Idi Amin's Uganda, Libya, China, Sudan, Zimbabwe, and North Korea have all sat on the Human Rights Commission.

In one of the most powerful video clips of the movie, Jody Williams, the head of the U.N. Mission to Darfur is seen presenting her report on the atrocities occurring in the Darfur region of Sudan while being told by representatives from Algeria, Syria, China, and Iran that her report is flawed and not legitimate. Her reply summarizes the ineffectiveness of the United Nations and its appalling corruption:

The world hung its head in shame and said never again. Well too many of us have lost hope that never again seems to have no applicability whatsoever in Darfur. When will the world hang its head in shame again? And our job is to attempt to try to alleviate the suffering of the people of Darfur who are being raped, pillaged and burned while political wrangling goes on here in the hallowed halls of the United Nations.

One of the things that makes U.N. Me so effective in reaching its audience is Horowitz's wit as he interviews various officials too ignorant to know what to do with him. His sarcasm ostensibly flies over their heads as, for instance, the Sudanese Ambassador explains away the genocide claiming that the conflict is due "primarily [to] climate change" and that the deaths are a result of "desertification and drought." While earlier in the film images of dead bodies hacked to death by U.N. funded machetes and weapons appear on the screen along with tables covered with endless numbers of skulls bearing brutal signs of injury and abuse, Horowitz responds, "Really? I never heard of drought causing axe wounds" and suggesting that perhaps driving Priuses would help the situation.

Toward the end of the film, Horowitz visits the National Archives in Washington, D.C., where the U.N. Charter is housed. We learn early in the film that the Charter, beginning with the words, "We the Peoples," was based on the ideals of the U.S. Constitution. So it seems apropos that both documents are stored at the National Archives. But whether Horowitz meant to make a political point or not, one cannot help but draw a connection between the rampant corruption that exists in the U.S. government and that seen permeating the dealings that take place at the U.N. Security Council.

Hundreds of thousands are slaughtered in Rwanda and Darfur on the U.N. watch. And most recently, the present U.S. government sits back and watches thousands slaughtered in Syria. Whether motivated by politics in the lead up to an election or a philosophy born out of belief in the power of the international community, Obama's ideological conviction that the U.S. must turn to the U.N. before intervening in atrocities committed throughout the world is untenable in the face of the lessons of U.N. Me. For, as Jody Williams concludes, "These countries on the Council, they're protecting their power... They don't give a **** about the civilians."

U.N. Me should be watched by every U.S. government official beginning with the POTUS. It should be required viewing in high school civics classes. And it should be watched by every U.S. taxpayer who will come away with the knowledge that their money is being wasted. This is an entertaining, well made, documentary that I highly recommend as a must see. You can view a trailer of U.N. Me and the DVD can be purchased by going to www.unmemovie.com.Watch it today - and contact your local representative tomorrow.

[i] This is a 21% increase over the 2009 budget.

[ii]And, since the filming of U.N. Me, and despite its defiance of Security Council resolutions directed at it in the face of its pursuit of nuclear weapons, Iran has since been named to sit on a conference bureau at the U.N. Conference on the Arms Trade Treaty.

The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Asymmetric Warfare It’s not just for the “Other Guys”

Old 08-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation Genocidal jihadist Sudanese warlord to be appointed to UN Human Rights Council

Genocidal jihadist Sudanese warlord to be appointed to UN Human Rights Council

He has been waging jihad against the Christians of South Sudan and the non-Arab Muslims of Darfur, but he has the support of the Arab League and OIC, so he is just fine by the UN.

"Genocidal Sudanese regime's appointment to UN human rights council all but certain, watchdog says," by Joshua Rhett Miller for FoxNews.com, August 8:
The election of a Sudanese warlord accused of genocide to the United Nations Human Rights Council is now virtually guaranteed, since he has the full backing of the world body's African delegation.

The International Criminal Court has issued a warrant for Omar Al-Bashir -- its first ever for a sitting head of state -- for crimes against humanity he allegedly committed in Darfur. Yet, his regime is set to take its place on the panel, in the latest bizarre appointment to make a mockery of the UN's human rights credibility, according to critics.

It's like putting “Jack the Ripper in charge of a women’s shelter,” said Hillel Neuer, executive director of UN Watch.
Neuer's Geneva-based group is calling on UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay to denounce election of the war-torn North African nation to the 47-member body. Sudan is not technically on the panel, but its election is a certainty because only five African nations are vying for the continent's five seats. ...

Old 08-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow U.N. Agency Embraces Iranian Terror Group

U.N. Agency Embraces Iranian Terror Group
A U.N. agency announced cooperation with an organization supported by the Iranian government, with close ties to Islamic Revolutionary Guard
By Rachel Hirshfeld

A United Nations agency has announced cooperation with an organization supported by the Iranian government and that maintains close ties with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard.

“United Nations Population Fund has voiced readiness to cooperate with the relief aid committee on health and rehabilitation of bread-earning women,” the Islamic Republic’s official news agency ISNA reported.

“Imam Khomeini relief aid committee has signed letter of understanding on broadening cooperation with United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), The World Health Organization and OCHA (Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs),” deputy director of the Imam Khomeini relief aid committee for international affairs Mohammad Mohammadifard said, according to ISNA.

Michael Rubin of Commentary Magazine reported that, “While the Imam Khomeini Relief Committee describes itself as a charity and, indeed, often distributes blankets and food to the poor, the Supreme Leader controls its assets, and the group has a very close relationship to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.”

Two years ago, the U.S. Treasury Department designated the Lebanese branches of the Committee “for being owned or controlled by Hizbullah and for providing financial and material support to Hizbullah and its director.”

Rubin stated that while “there’s nothing wrong with supporting women’s health, ... there are many charities out there to choose from, most of which are not tainted by involvement in terrorism.

“Given that money is fungible, and the Iranians use the Imam Khomeini Relief Committee for surveillance and to provide cover to terror operatives, it is shameful that the United Nations would embrace the group."

Old 12-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation UN Human Rights Council elects as its VP Mauritania, where it's legal to own slaves a

UN Human Rights Council elects as its VP Mauritania, where it's legal to own slaves and illegal to leave Islam

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/demo...slavery-exists

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2012/12/un...al-to-lea.html

CNS News adds: "Ruled by a former military coup leader, Mauritania is a North African Islamic state where conversion to another faith is punishable by death. The country’s criminal code provides for a three-day period of reflection and repentance for any Muslim found guilty of apostasy. 'If he does not repent within this time limit,' it states, 'he is to be condemned to death as an apostate and his property will be confiscated by the Treasury.'"

Both slavery and the death penalty for apostasy are prescribed by Islamic law, so it is no surprise that an Islamic state would have both. But that such a state should be elected to the UN Human Rights Council just show how compromised are the clowns who run the UN.

"Human Rights Day Marred by Election of Slave-holding Mauritania as VP of UN Human Rights Council," from UN Watch, December 10 (thanks to Pamela Geller):
GENEVA, Dec. 10 – UN Watch condemned today's election of Mauritania, a country that allows 800,000 of its citizens to live as slaves, as Vice-President of the UN Human Rights Council.In addition, the Geneva-based group also announced the failure of its yearlong campaign, with 55 MPs and NGOs, to get UNESCO to remove Syria from its human rights committee.

1. Mauritania Elected Today as VP of UN Human Rights Council

The UN Human Rights Council met today in Geneva and elected Mauritania as its Vice-President and Rapporteur for the next year, the second highest position at the world's top human rights body.

"It is obscene for the U.N. to use the occasion of Human Rights Day, when we commemorate the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, to elect the world's worst enabler of slavery to this prestigious post," said Hillel Neuer, UN Watch executive director.

"The U.N. is making an arsonist head of the fire department. It defies both morality and common sense."

According to a recent report by the Guardian, "up to 800,000 people in a nation of 3.5 million remain chattels," with power and wealth overwhelmingly concentrated among lighter-skinned Moors, "leaving slave-descended darker-skinned Moors and black Africans on the edges of society."...

Old 12-14-2012, 02:15 AM
Dragon
Photobucket

Arrow Falk Targets Israel, Whitewashes Hamas at UN

Falk Targets Israel, Whitewashes Hamas at UN

by Joel Himelfarb

• Dec 13, 2012
http://www.investigativeproject.org/...es-hamas-at-un

United Nations "Special Rapporteur" for Palestine Richard Falk, who has suggested Israel was planning a "Palestinian Holocaust," touted 9/11 conspiracy theories, and called for a corporate boycott of the Jewish state, now blames Israel for the recent violence in Gaza.

An organization calling itself International Movement for a JUST World posted a U.N. press release on its website Thursday touting Falk's recent weeklong trip to Cairo and Gaza.

Falk said he initially planned to travel to the region "to assess the overall impact of Israel's prolonged occupation and blockade against the Gaza Strip." But the fighting triggered "an urgent need to investigate Israel's seemingly deliberate attacks against seemingly civilian targets during recent hostilities," he said.

Israel "killed and harmed civilians in a grossly disproportionate manner and thus clearly violated international law," Falk said, and warned that "Israel is not likely to carry out its obligations under the ceasefire agreement."

The press release said nothing about inconvenient subjects that conflict with his anti-Israel narrative, like Israel's unilateral withdrawal from Gaza in 2005; terrorist rocket attacks from Gaza targeting Israeli civilians; or Hamas' use of children as human shields in fighting Israel.

The release followed a lengthy essay Falk posted on his own website in which he tried to whitewash Hamas statements calling for the destruction of Israel. He praised senior terrorist operatives Khaled Meshaal and Mousa Abu Marzook as "moderates" and declared that Palestinians were "unquestionably" entitled to the "Right of Return," which most Israelis regard as a formula for the destruction of the Jewish state.

Falk mocked the argument that that Israel had the right to defend itself from Hamas rocket attacks by targeting Gaza-based terrorists. A "more accurate " interpretation would take into account "the American plot to reverse the outcome of the 2006 electoral victory of Hamas" and "the Israeli punitive blockade" and "many instances of provocative Israeli violence," including targeted assassinations of terrorists, he wrote.

Claiming that Israel has "absolute impunity" for "violations of international criminal law," Falk asked why Americans don't treat Hamas with the same respect accorded anti-Nazi resistance groups during World War II: "Those who lost their lives in such a resistance were honored as martyrs. Meshaal and other Hamas leaders have made similar arguments on several occasions, in effect asking what are Palestinians supposed to do in the exercise of resistance" given the failure of traditional diplomacy "to secure their rights under international law."

UN Watch has been closely monitoring Falk's actions. Read more here and here.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:28 AM
Banned

goidf is on a distinguished road

Hi, Papa

You seem to be the only one posting on this thread. My thoughts on the UN:

The UN is a child of WWII. Before WWI, the colonial powers (Japan, Germany, Russia, British Empire, French Republic, US, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Portugal) pretty much controlled the world: China and Iran were divided into spheres of influence, Thailand was playing a balancing act between the French and British, etc. Between 1815 and 1914, those great powers managed to keep from attacking one another through the "Congress Europe" system and its spin-offs.

The Congress System fell apart in the First World War, and was replaced by the League of Nations. The greatest failure of the League was probably the absence of the US from its membership. At any rate, that system fell apart during the Second World War. What remained were agreements mainly between the US, USSR and UK. The UN was formed as a way to keep those major powers, along with France and China, from biting each others' heads off, while giving the other nations of the world some say-so via the General Assembly.

The colonial powers gradually lost their colonies, especially between around 1947 (with India's independence) and 1997 (the transfer of Hong Kong to China). The only superpower left standing then, was the US. During those 50 years of de-colonialization, the UNGA (UN General Assembly) became saturated with virtual non-entities -- dictatorships, kleptocracies, etc., some of which could not even effectively control their own territory -- while real power devolved upon the US. Under the George W. Bush Administration the US was at the height of its power -- the height of any power, in fact, in the history of the world.

I see the UN as an anachronism. UNGA roll-call votes have some value in being a barometer of the political alignment of the world's countries. Otherwise, they are simply an instrument of power for the SC-5, in the rare occasions where all five agree. I don't see any powerful role for the UN, other than as a rubber stamp for the Big 5, especially for the US and NATO. In a few years, I expect it to be the instrument through which the nations of the world collectively attack Israel -- in the interest of "peace", of course (Ha ha).
Israel Forum