Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Social > History of the World
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2015, 07:02 PM
Dragon

PILMAN is on a distinguished road
Default Your thoughts on Josephus?

So I have been reading the texts of Josephus, ended up buying a book at the store, and I've been trying to learn more about 2nd period Judaism in general, I know that Josephus historically was fighting with the Galileans against the Romans and when the Romans ended up overtaking them, Josephus ended up convincing his followers to commit suicide and he and one other guy ended up surrendering to the Romans. From what I understand in Antiquities of the Jews, he basically ended up helping the Romans to translate and ended up as a traitor. He seems to explain Judaism from a Hellenized aspect about the history, putting in comparisons about the exodus and the hyskos, eliminates mention of worship of the golden calf, and documents the deaths that had occurred. How reliable do you guys think Josephus is in regards to the war that occurred in Judea?
Old 10-03-2015, 09:28 PM

AEWHistory is on a distinguished road

I know this has sat for awhile, but I'll take a swing. Josephus is a source of quite a bit of controversy among historians and archaeologists. While he is an excellent source, and often the only one for some events, we do question his accounts of the events. I think some safe conclusions can be made, the most important one is this: his writing was done under the wings of a victorious Rome in which he was now a part. So while he seemed to have some loyalties still for the Jews he abandoned, I think it is safe to say that he'd have been reluctant to put too much into his accounts that would offend his Roman superiors.

There's so much more to say when you're discussing Josephus, but this is a pretty good place to start.

Last edited by AEWHistory; 10-03-2015 at 09:47 PM..
Israel Forum