Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Social > Religion
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Religion Discuss religious beliefs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 10-18-2007, 02:05 AM
loganinkosovo's Avatar
loganinkosovo loganinkosovo is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 251
loganinkosovo is on a distinguished road
Default

What do you think of atheists?

Like God.....I really don't think of them at all. :)

God Exists, I have prayed to him in the past and received everything I've prayed for.

God has a strange sense of humor so I don't ask him for things anymore.
__________________
Aside from ending Slavery, Fascism and Communist World Domination, War has never solved anything!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

Peace....True Peace, can only be cultivated in ground sown with the bones of Evil Men. So I lift my glass in toast to the IDF and say "Sow the Ground Well, Boys. Sow the Ground Well!" - Logan

Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-18-2007, 03:33 AM
Kiwi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
God has a strange sense of humor
Too right he does, afterall he created man
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-19-2007, 07:39 AM
żżż's Avatar
żżż żżż is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 57
żżż is on a distinguished road
Default

There is no universal atheist standard, except for atheists not belonging in the category of theism.

Atheism itself is not a collection of ideas, or even one idea. It is specifically the lack of belief in a certain category of ideas, based around gods or deities.

You'll get many different kinds of atheists, and many different worldviews.

You will get groups of atheists who will agree with each other on most of their ideas, though not all atheist groups will agree with all the ideas of other atheist groups. But there is little rivalry, if any, between different atheist groups.

Though many atheists only form groups because of persecution by some theists. Of course, some atheists do go out of their way to insult theists.
But many atheists will only attack theistic arguments, and not theists themselves.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-19-2007, 03:49 PM
vishva's Avatar
vishva vishva is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sri Lanka
Posts: 6
vishva is on a distinguished road
Default

Yes. Now I understand. Most of the Athiests are silent.

You are very open minded. :)

I think I'm also a kind of an athiest. But I have very complicated beliefs of my own.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Leandrokog's Avatar
Leandrokog Leandrokog is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9
Leandrokog is on a distinguished road
Default

Ofcourse that if someone mention the creation of the world, human superiority, etc, an atheis would see it just as luck or natural selection, because atheist in most general need to bee convinced one per one personaly, because an atheist, in general, can see a real miracle of god and yet can start to explain you the scientific metod of how that "miracle" (an atheist wouldnt call it a miracle) was made. Generaly it`s known that a person to be a "Religious" (there are many levels for this) or an Atheist its defined by life experience. Lets take for example what our friend here tells us, he is young, he haves a job for four years now, he lives with hes parents, he is responsable for his pet. Now, without ofence, i see you have an a existencilist life, you lived in a constant rutine all your life, is that right?
Now, i can only speak from my oun experience. I, lived in a place where water is like gold, i lived in a place where buses, cafes, shopings exploded.
I have a job, i still live with my mother and brothers, i traveled a lot, i saw a lot`s of places with diferent beliefs.
As i can see our lifes where diferent, i belive because of my oun personal life experience. But an Atheis must understand, that the worst fear for a true beliver is that sudenly G-D gave us a true miracle, and we... just ignore it.
__________________
"There will be peace the day that the arabs love their children more than what they hate`s us"
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 10-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Daniel Daniel is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 17
Daniel is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by żżż View Post
I'm an atheist, because I don't hold a theistic belief. I don't believe in any gods.
Why don't I?
because I haven't seen sufficient evidence to believe in one. That's all.
I wonder if you've ever really looked for evidence. How can you say that someone does not exist if you dont take the time to look under all the stones?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-28-2007, 10:29 PM
żżż's Avatar
żżż żżż is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 57
żżż is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
I wonder if you've ever really looked for evidence.
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
How can you say that someone does not exist if you dont take the time to look under all the stones?
Why would I spend my life looking into every single nook and cranny because there's an extremely remote chance of an idea being correct, when:
1. I could be spending my life living the way I'd like
2. if god does exist, then he could very easily just show me himself that he exists, so I don't have to spend a huge amount of effort looking for him
3. there are literally an infinite amount of other possible ideas with exactly the same amount of evidence

Tel me, if I told you that I know an alien race who could instantly cure all world problems, but simply preferred not reveal themselves to or interfere with humans, including people who believed in them, would you spend time looking for them? (even if they did exist)

There's exactly the same amount of evidence for them as for a god.

Furthermore, you took me out of context.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
How can you say that someone does not exist
I did not say that god does not exist. I just don't believe that he does exist, because of the lack of evidence.

Yes, it's possible that a god might exist. and I'm not stopping you believe in him.

It's also possible that we're all living in a giant computer simulation.
__________________

Last edited by żżż; 10-28-2007 at 10:38 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Daniel Daniel is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 17
Daniel is on a distinguished road
Default

So you say you have looked. Can i ask where?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-28-2007, 10:40 PM
żżż's Avatar
żżż żżż is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 57
żżż is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
So you say you have looked. Can i ask where?
you can't be serious.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-28-2007, 11:21 PM
Daniel Daniel is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 17
Daniel is on a distinguished road
Default

Well i am. What do you mean! Just give me one example that you looked at....what the bible has to say and compared it to whats happening in the world!
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 10-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Abu Jahal Abu Jahal is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 26
Abu Jahal is on a distinguished road
Cool Wait !

But according to Tanach law, an atheis has to stone to death ! They are blasphemer to adonai !
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-29-2007, 05:36 AM
żżż's Avatar
żżż żżż is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 57
żżż is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Well i am. What do you mean! Just give me one example that you looked at....
just to name a couple, I've read/heard countless arguments, I have read the bible.
Quote:
what the bible has to say and compared it to whats happening in the world!
what the bible has to say and what's not happening in the world. many prophecies which have not happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Jahal View Post
But according to Tanach law, an atheis has to stone to death ! They are blasphemer to adonai !
according to the bible, people have to be stoned to death for working on the sabbath.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-29-2007, 08:23 AM
Kiwi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Jahal View Post
But according to Tanach law, an atheis has to stone to death ! They are blasphemer to adonai !
We don't kill our non believers
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-29-2007, 11:39 AM
żżż's Avatar
żżż żżż is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 57
żżż is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
We don't kill our non believers
And that's one gaping chasm of a difference to Islam. I do not understand why anybody in their right mind would seriously believe that Islam has good ethics.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Kiwi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by żżż View Post
And that's one gaping chasm of a difference to Islam. I do not understand why anybody in their right mind would seriously believe that Islam has good ethics.
Well that is just it these little towel heads are not in their right mind.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-29-2007, 11:55 AM
żżż's Avatar
żżż żżż is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 57
żżż is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Well that is just it these little towel heads are not in their right mind.
I'd agree with you there.

If there is a god, he's certainly not on the Muslims' side.

Maybe they should loosen their towels a bit. It may be restricting blood flow to their heads.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Daniel Daniel is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 17
Daniel is on a distinguished road
Default

So you say you have read the bible! Well thats interesting. Can I ask if you understood it all, or did it go in one ear and out the other?

"many prophecies which have not happened". I guess that means you noticed some have been fulfilled! The Jewish peoples return to Israel being one! The growing ties between Russia and Iran being another, more recent one!
So when you see these things happening what do you think....all just happen to be happening do they? I'd be interested to know what you think.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-29-2007, 01:11 PM
żżż's Avatar
żżż żżż is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 57
żżż is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
So you say you have read the bible! Well thats interesting. Can I ask if you understood it all, or did it go in one ear and out the other?
Clearly, you're one of those people who thinks that, because I might have a different worldview to you, that I simply must be wrong and/or not understand things like you.

Yes Daniel, I understood what the bible was saying.

Quote:
"many prophecies which have not happened". I guess that means you noticed some have been fulfilled!
yeah. Doesn't mean that the people who thought up the prophecies had psychic powers. Some events in the future can easily be predicted. Some not as easy to predict, but predictions occur all the time. without psychic powers. Some predictions are right, and some are wrong.

So, what about the prophecies that didn't occur?

Quote:
The Jewish peoples return to Israel being one! The growing ties between Russia and Iran being another, more recent one!
Yeah, and?

what about the rapture? wasn't that supposed to happen already?

Quote:
So when you see these things happening what do you think....all just happen to be happening do they?
yes, some just did happen to happen. And many haven't happened.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...e+Search&meta=

The Earth is a sphere. A few people thought of the idea long before people were able to observe or measure it. They turned out to be right.

That doesn't mean those people had magic powers, or anything.

Quote:
I'd be interested to know what you think.
Probability.

If people think of a sufficiently large amount of possible outcomes, which have a reasonably high probability of occuring, then the probability of some of those events occurring is going to be extremely high.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Daniel Daniel is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 17
Daniel is on a distinguished road
Default

I can see that there is not much point in arguing. But really, if you understood the bible how can you explain all the "coincidences". To my knowledge there is not one that has not been fulfilled (with the exception of those that have yet to be fulfilled). Your suggestion that its all just guesswork is at best laughable. How can you explain the foretelling of the Jewish exile and return thousands of years before it happened? The truth is no one can. They leave the difficult ones alone and pick on the easy ones that can be called mistakes at face value. But when you dig deeper you notice that there are many ways to explain it!
So I put it to you that although you may have read the bible (although at 19 I am doubting that), you certainly have not understood it. Because if you had you would not be so quick to doubt all it says.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 10-30-2007, 07:10 AM
żżż's Avatar
żżż żżż is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 57
żżż is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
I can see that there is not much point in arguing. But really, if you understood the bible how can you explain all the "coincidences"
Probability. Did you even read my post?

Quote:
To my knowledge there is not one that has not been fulfilled (with the exception of those that have yet to be fulfilled).
you just contradicted yourself.

You don't have an argument here. Only some things have come true. And all of them are things that don't require supernatural powers, and so do have a reasonable probability of occuring.
Quote:
Your suggestion that its all just guesswork is at best laughable.
How about educated guesses?
Believe it or not, but guesses are sometimes correct. Even if they're not educated guesses.

Quote:
How can you explain the foretelling of the Jewish exile and return thousands of years before it happened?
Maybe people decided they wanted to make a new Israel, because of what the bible says.

Quote:
The truth is no one can.
I just made a valid suggestion.

Quote:
They leave the difficult ones alone and pick on the easy ones that can be called mistakes at face value.
Or, some people do pick the difficult ones, and only get some things right.

Quote:
But when you dig deeper you notice that there are many ways to explain it!
exactly. there are many ways to explain it.

Quote:
So I put it to you that although you may have read the bible (although at 19 I am doubting that)
Why do you do you doubt it?
do you think I'm incapable of reading?

Quote:
you certainly have not understood it.
Why? because I don't subscribe to the same worldview as you?

Quote:
Because if you had you would not be so quick to doubt all it says.
Saying it doesn't make it so.


*edit*
I doubt that you'll be able to see my argument here, so I'll posit a new one:
the Koran has some prophecies which were fulfilled. Does that mean Islam is correct?
__________________

Last edited by żżż; 10-30-2007 at 07:16 AM..
Reply With Quote
Israel Forum
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Israel Military Forum