Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Israeli Military Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Israeli Military Discussion Forum GENERAL Topics Relating To Israel & Its National Security, Latest news and Analysis.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:59 PM

Igo is on a distinguished road
Default Questions about joining IDF

I am a Jew living in the United States (US citizen). I am 17 and a junior in high school, and I am considering becoming a Chayal Boded (Machal) in the IDF after I graduate. I believe it is my duty to protect and defend my homeland and my Israeli brothers and sisters.*

That aside, I have a few questions about how everything works:

1) I come from a line of non-practicing Jews, so I have no Rabbi. How can I find a Rabbi who will write a letter confirming my being a Jew?

2) Also, I have Type 1 diabetes (insulin dependent) so I know a combat role is out of the question. But, I do not want to take immunization shots, because my immune system is already weak from diabetes. Is there a way I can get in without the shots?

3) Is there anything I should know about or need to bring with me?

Thanks for your answers and thank you to all who served.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:14 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo View Post
I am a Jew living in the United States (US citizen). I am 17 and a junior in high school, and I am considering becoming a Chayal Boded (Machal) in the IDF after I graduate. I believe it is my duty to protect and defend my homeland and my Israeli brothers and sisters.*

That aside, I have a few questions about how everything works:

1) I come from a line of non-practicing Jews, so I have no Rabbi. How can I find a Rabbi who will write a letter confirming my being a Jew?

2) Also, I have Type 1 diabetes (insulin dependent) so I know a combat role is out of the question. But, I do not want to take immunization shots, because my immune system is already weak from diabetes. Is there a way I can get in without the shots?

3) Is there anything I should know about or need to bring with me?

Thanks for your answers and thank you to all who served.
Welcome to the site. You have a realistic approach and that will prove important.

In order to be considered, you need to be able to document in some way your lineage. A starting point is the Orthodix Union or the Aguda. They are going to be rigorous about your history, you should begin to document what you can. I do not recommend the Masorti, Conservative, nor Reform movements, as they have no standing in documenting lineage for citizenship. I know you did not say you were looking for citizenship, but that is the standard you are held to in order to enlist.

You have asked two medical questions. Neither of which can be answered 100% by anyone other than an IDF doctor who examines you. As you have a story to tell, you should have a doctor tell it. But realize that your family physician must certify that you are able to serve in the military, in his opinion, and have the document certified. What ever he/she writes will be considered, but final decisions are the IDF alone.

No immunizations upon enlistment is a deal breaker. period. do not bother down that path.

You have plenty of time to worry about packing, there are numerous threads on that topic.

Solid advice for you:
Speak to your family physician about your condition.
Contact the nearest Israeli embassy or consulate and ask to speak to a military representative about enlisting. You have tremendously more control in America than you will have in Israel. But of course no one will speak with you until you have the two certifications noted above - religious and medical.

So that is it, You have your first asignment.

Good Luck!