Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Physical Fitness
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Physical Fitness your guide to physical fitness, training methods

Old 09-22-2009, 01:34 AM

pc1986 is on a distinguished road
Default IDF Workouts

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any workout routines used by the IDF? I am sure there is a significant physical component to the military training, and I would like to try some of it myself. I could not find much online, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and l'shana tova to all!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Gold Member

GB_FXST is on a distinguished road

I know this has come up once before. You might want to do a search.

I am sure much has changed since my day, but my advice is to run, and then run some more. Pull-ups, push-ups, dips and sit ups should be part of your routine. Also, in case you missed it, run regularly and often

Forget free weights or anything else that builds mass.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:18 PM

impuls3 is on a distinguished road

from someone who is still in the army, heres what we (i) at least, did in training...

run...run more (we made it up to 8km in just under 40 minutes)
tons of push ups... probably 5 or 6 sets of 25 should do
long hikes: start easy, 3 or 4km then work your way up
7 minutes sit-up workout

the IDF stadard (bar-or) is as follows: (this checks for physical adequecy)
86 pushups (without more than 2 second break without touching the ground)
86 sit-up (no breaks)
2km in under 8 minutes i think
Old 09-26-2009, 05:26 PM

rashal is on a distinguished road

The IDF doesn't really have a workout routine. It's there in general, but every unit has its own interpretation of it. But it's important to divide the whole deal into two categories which are physical training during warrior training, and physical training during active duty. Lets start with warrior training (which includes boot camp)

If you look at regular infantry, the training is very basic - short jog every morning to start the day, usually no more than one run a week which is done at a relatively slow pace. And than you got the marches (don't know if this is the correct word for it), which are done at a steady 6km/h. Usually there's one march a week, starting from 3km all the way to 40-60km. Those are done with 'combat gear', which is funny because 'combat gear' doesn't include the bullet proof vest and many other things you would usually take with you to combat. This training routine IMO is outdated.

Special forces on the other hand take it to the extreme. In units like the shayetet 13, they have 3-5 runs a weeks (long runs, medium distance runs, fartleks and runs with a stretcher loaded with sandbags, runs with combat gear), along with pull ups, push ups (from bars, not from the ground) and various exercises like climbing 6 meter rope with hands only (the rule is that you must climb the rope 2 times with your hands only before every meal or you don't get in) and more fun stuff like that. And than you got the marches that are done on the beach sand, and sometimes in the water knee deep, which get as long as 80km at a high pace with extra wight in the backpacks and combat gear, and usually at the final 20km with stretchers that have at least 100kg sandbags on them.
Of course all of that comes on top of the combat and krav maga training. At the end of their almost two year long warrior training, these guys come out with unbelievable stamina. Training is brutal, not everyone survives. Those who are slow for example go on a run with the unit's physical fitness officer. They each get fitted with a heart rate band monitor and if they can't keep up but their heart rate is lower than 190 at that moment, they get kicked out for lack of motivation.

Warrior training is usually about keeping the level of physical fitness you gained in the warrior training.

But you must keep in mind that IDF training is for IDF soldiers. You have a short period of time to get them in good shape, and injuries are very common. Physical fitness is something you achieve over time, and something you have to maintain or it just goes away. I don't recommend any of the IDF training programs for you, simply because you aren't limited by time.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:54 PM

impuls3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashal View Post
injuries are very common
that is very correct. as rashal says, you probably shouldnt get to much into this reutine. common injuries as far as paratroopers in training are concerned were blown knees, shin splints, spinal micro-fractures, torn ligaments etc... if you wanna get into good shape get a personal trainer to make you a reutine and work on stamina/strength.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:35 AM

pc1986 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the responses and suggestions!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:45 PM

Ukonline is on a distinguished road

I hope you will share more information and useful site with us.

Thanks
Old 11-01-2010, 03:12 PM

ricky IDF is on a distinguished road

Hi I wonder if you guys know of a workout for nachal or givati and wats the best things to do
thanks
Old 11-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky IDF View Post
Hi I wonder if you guys know of a workout for nachal or givati and wats the best things to do
thanks
I am always amused by these kinds of posts. Service in the IDF is mandatory for Israelis. Mandatory. Not contingent on any physical preparation what-so-ever. There are one legged soldiers, as well as one armed soldiers. So the idea that there is a physical minimum is just wrong.

Even in a combat unit, the chances are excellent there will be a few guys who are in the 5'6" range who will weigh 250 pounds, as well as 6'4" guys who weigh 140. They will all serve along side of you.

Workouts to be "Special Forces"? Get over yourselves. Maybe two a year from overseas get in. If you have college level hebrew and can run seventeen miles carrying a cow, then it is a realistic goal for you, one that won't lead to dissapointment.

On the other hand, just putting on the uniform is such a great contribution, it pains me that it is so often disrespected and maligned.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:08 PM

maybe im getting the wrong idea or you are mocking my post. but all im asking is if you or anyone can help me as i will be joining the idf in 2012 from south africa. and all i would is some help on improving my chances of getting in to the unit of my choice
Old 11-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

My point is two fold. First, you can run 35 kilometers a day and bench press cows until the cows come home, and then get sent to a Nahal unit where your roommates are 5'2" tall and weigh 190 pounds. You are both going to be in a NAHAL unit doing the exact same thing. Same with Givati. Sorry.

As to someone from outside of Israel going in to serve, you need to define what your goal is. Your not dumb and know the minimum health standards for a soldier. If you want serious advice from IDF veterans on how someone who is not an Israeli can control where he serves, we can offer you nothing other than lies. The first requirement for the "good slots" is to speak read and write college entry level hebrew. But even that isn't always true. The best slots are filled when a gius group is in the second month of 12th grade. The IDF gets it's pick from every High School class in Israel. You know, the Valedictorian, the captain of the soccer team, and so on.

There are lots of pro-Israel sites tell can you how special you are and offer you pages of advice from people who never served. But here on this site are people who have actually done what you are talking about doing some year and a half from now.

Wear the uniform, go to help Israel in the purest form. Be just as willing to be bored serving Israel as you are willing to increase your odds of dieing. I hope that clarifies what my meaning was.

Last edited by rafi; 11-05-2010 at 09:13 PM..
Old 11-08-2010, 09:40 AM

Yes and thank you very much. For all the info and help
thanks
Old 12-23-2010, 11:28 PM

Colonel Killgore is on a distinguished road

rafi, what you say seems quite right as I recently had that confirmed by several books I plowed through, one of the last one being Aron Cohen's "Brotherhood of Warriors". He made it, but it wasn't easy and he didn't make it that long. I also think, that serving Israel, shouldn't always be about the glamor but about the determination of the heart, with or without appreciation, applause or laurels.
As far as I am concerned, I would gladly just serve tables and humbly be a blessing to this wonderful army but they won't have me, not even for that, as I am counted to be too old.

However, I think it is good to keep it mind that a hard military training concept can definitely be of use even in the civilian life.
When I am out doing long jogging tours and feel the pain in different parts of my body, I keep thinking: "If the guys in Matkal make it I can make it, if a Duvdevan guy can make it through a Ghibush with sore feet, in terrible heat and pain through the whole body, I can make it an extra kilometer as well" and guess what...I do make it and after 4, 5 or 6 months of continuous pain I realize that the body adjusts to it and the mind copes with the hardships.
Keep this picture in your mind and understand that the human body has limits which are still not known to us.

Good luck by the way! I really hope you will make it to the IDF.

Last edited by Colonel Killgore; 12-23-2010 at 11:29 PM.. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 01-05-2011, 09:01 PM

Mason is on a distinguished road

I've been taking Krav Maga classes, and since my instructor is a former member of the Shin Beyt we've been doing a lot of IDF-related exercises.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

odie072 is on a distinguished road

Let's look at this another way. Poster's keep coming in here and asking about the Physical requirements for the IDF. As member's that have served or are currently serving have tried to say in the nicest ways that they can, they are not going to discuss some of the info, because of the sensitive nature of discussing the IDF's procedures and the ways they have done things.

Rafi, I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to borrow something you posted, because it hits the problems with these questions right on the head. If that is going too far, please feel free to delete:

Rafi's quote: My point is two fold. First, you can run 35 kilometers a day and bench press cows until the cows come home, and then get sent to a Nahal unit where your roommates are 5'2" tall and weigh 190 pounds. You are both going to be in a NAHAL unit doing the exact same thing. Same with Givati. Sorry.

As to someone from outside of Israel going in to serve, you need to define what your goal is. Your not dumb and know the minimum health standards for a soldier. If you want serious advice from IDF veterans on how someone who is not an Israeli can control where he serves, we can offer you nothing other than lies. The first requirement for the "good slots" is to speak read and write college entry level hebrew. But even that isn't always true. The best slots are filled when a gius group is in the second month of 12th grade. The IDF gets it's pick from every High School class in Israel. You know, the Valedictorian, the captain of the soccer team, and so on.

There are lots of pro-Israel sites tell can you how special you are and offer you pages of advice from people who never served. But here on this site are people who have actually done what you are talking about doing some year and a half from now.

Wear the uniform, go to help Israel in the purest form. Be just as willing to be bored serving Israel as you are willing to increase your odds of dieing. I hope that clarifies what my meaning was.

But even after this, we still have people asking question, so how about this. It isn't about what the IDF requirements are for physical fitness, it is about you being physically fit. Here is a site that is available for all to look at, that doesn't have any sensitive information on it, and I think everyone would agree, if you can do the requirements and programs outlined here, you are physically fit:

http://www.military.com/military-fit...er-school-prep

Go to the right side of the screen and you can click on either unit you want, It covers just about all the "higher standards" units and if you are this fit, your fit.

Thanks, mods, if this isn't appropriate for this thread, feel free to apply the proverbial "drop kick."

odie072
That might of been the sad end of the story. But Nemo refused to give in without a fight. Ignoring his serious head wound, the 85 pound dog threw himself at the Vietcong guerrillas who had opened fire. Nemo's ferocious attack brought Thorneburg the time he needed to call in backup forces.

Although severely wounded, Nemo crawled to his master and covered him with his body.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:05 AM

jewishbulldozer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
I am always amused by these kinds of posts. Service in the IDF is mandatory for Israelis. Mandatory. Not contingent on any physical preparation what-so-ever. There are one legged soldiers, as well as one armed soldiers. So the idea that there is a physical minimum is just wrong.

Even in a combat unit, the chances are excellent there will be a few guys who are in the 5'6" range who will weigh 250 pounds, as well as 6'4" guys who weigh 140. They will all serve along side of you.

Workouts to be "Special Forces"? Get over yourselves. Maybe two a year from overseas get in. If you have college level hebrew and can run seventeen miles carrying a cow, then it is a realistic goal for you, one that won't lead to dissapointment.

On the other hand, just putting on the uniform is such a great contribution, it pains me that it is so often disrespected and maligned.
Couldnt of said it better ;)
Alltho, were you serious about the 1 legged 1 handed folks ? :D
Cause is it just me or arent they completely useless in the army,
I can imagine some folks who are in "bad shape" but atleast they can still do somethnig, peel potatoes or point n shoot :D
Old 01-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

In most major cities in Israel there is a military liason office called the "Katsin HaEar" to spell it phoenetically. Literally translated it is the
"City Officer". They do liason work, or arrange if a soldier is sick and can't get back to the unit, soldiers stuck overnight hitchhiking and myriad other more serious work. It is, for the most part and for most of the staff, straight office work.

Now, partner that with this: The entire country is oriented to serve from age 18 to 21. Every indusrty, every city, every aspect of life revolves around the foundation of this service. So there is a tremendous number of people who would be "4F" in America (physicaly unqualified to serve) who might succeed if they could be doing something during the day, and then be home at night. Or close to home (KALABnik) KALAB is short for Karove Lah Bayit or "close to home" a military classification. Also frequently an insult hurled by those who feel that unless you are in combat you should be cremated.

So my point is this: there are those who fight to serve, from the famous dwarf who served in Gahlei Tsahal (Army radio) to yes, one legged office workers in Tiberias who often took guys home for the night who got stranded at the trampiada (hitch hike station).

Very long answer, but something Israel should take even more prde in - this need to serve in any way possible.

Last edited by rafi; 01-09-2011 at 10:45 AM..
Old 04-18-2011, 09:30 AM

jewishbulldozer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by impuls3 View Post
from someone who is still in the army, heres what we (i) at least, did in training...

run...run more (we made it up to 8km in just under 40 minutes)
tons of push ups... probably 5 or 6 sets of 25 should do
long hikes: start easy, 3 or 4km then work your way up
7 minutes sit-up workout

the IDF stadard (bar-or) is as follows: (this checks for physical adequecy)
86 pushups (without more than 2 second break without touching the ground)
86 sit-up (no breaks)
2km in under 8 minutes i think
Wow, i'll be dead..
I tend to lift weights but uhm, running aint my thing.
What do y'all think, will they "excuse" me from running 8kms in 40 minutes and give me another job in the IDF?
I'm more of a slow and strong type than fast and endurance.

*volunteers for pealing potatoes*
Old 05-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Dragon

HideNSeek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewishbulldozer View Post
Wow, i'll be dead..
I tend to lift weights but uhm, running aint my thing.
What do y'all think, will they "excuse" me from running 8kms in 40 minutes and give me another job in the IDF?
I'm more of a slow and strong type than fast and endurance.

*volunteers for pealing potatoes*
Unless there is something physically wrong with you (heart etc), that can be corrected. Your physique will change.

Of course if your into lifting heavy objects, I'm sure a job can be found in that specialized area as well.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:52 AM

Vincent is on a distinguished road

Nice thread.
My daily workout routine is very simple. I do walking and jogging in morning only 45 minutes and i lost my 21 lbs weight in 3 month by doing these exercise.