Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Israeli Military Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Israeli Military Discussion Forum GENERAL Topics Relating To Israel & Its National Security, Latest news and Analysis.

Your Ad Here

Old 04-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Gold Member

Cougar is on a distinguished road
Default Official IDF volunteer website

Since the question comes up here pretty often, here again the official program website for foreign volunteers in the IDF:

http://www.mahal2000.com/

Last edited by Paparock; 04-27-2010 at 07:44 PM..
Old 04-11-2007, 02:13 AM
Gold Member

Balam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
Since the question comes up here pretty often, here again the official program website for foreign volunteers in the IDF:

http://www.mahal2000.com/
I would like to add, that this program is for non-israeli jews betwen the ages of 18-23
Old 04-11-2007, 02:49 AM

Lech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balam View Post
I would like to add, that this program is for non-israeli jews betwen the ages of 18-23
So they have this programme, but can a non-israeli jew just join as a regular soldier instead of doing this programme?
Old 04-11-2007, 10:49 AM

Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lech View Post
So they have this programme, but can a non-israeli jew just join as a regular soldier instead of doing this programme?
You've got to understand that this is not that easy.

Anyone who is not Israeli is by the IDF ' someone which you can't trust '.

You can't possibly think that anyone from out there can just come and join the IDF as a regular soldier. Who knows where you came from, what are your intensions, and what you will do with the information beeing given to you.

You can betray us just like that, the most easy thing is for terrorists to get inside the IDF, earn everyone's trust and than to stab everyone in the back.

That's why non-jewish ( and most jewish also ) coming from abroad will probably never get a serious job in the IDF, not to mentioun an M-16.

But even so, there're many many people like that who enjoys their jobs in the IDF.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Dear Friend of Israel,

We know your heart is with us in Israel and we greatly appreciate your offer to volunteer for the Israel Defense Forces. Your expression of solidarity with the Jewish people and Israel means so much, especially at this time. Among the thousands of Machal volunteers who came to defend the new born State of Israel in 1948 there were many non-Jews. They made a tremendous and meaningful contribution during Israel's War of Independence, for which Israelis are very grateful and for which they will always be remembered.

Since then however, the policy has been to restrict service in the armed forces to citizens of Israel, Jews as well as Christians, Moslems, Druze and others, and to non-Israeli Jews so as to avoid placing at risk persons who do not have this connection to Israel. In addition, the maximum enlistment date limit is the 23rd birthday for men and the 20th for women. Unfortunately no exception can be made.

You have the opportunity, however, to take your place defending Israel on the ‘public relations front’. Today, wars and battles are often won or lost on TV screens, in the minds and hearts of good people. Therefore, public relations is no less important than planes and tanks. You could, for example, volunteer to be a PR Ambassador of Middle-East-Info.org and explain to others what it means for Israel to be the sole democracy in a region comprising 23 dictatorships (including 5 out of the world's 7 state sponsors of terrorism and about half of the world’s major terror groups). Of the 19 most repressive regimes in the world, 7 are in Arab states and Iran. Arab regimes and Iran are also a breeding ground for advocating Jihad (Holy War) against all non-Muslims (Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, Animists and Jews included) and openly seek world domination and the ultimate destruction of freedom. The scourge of international terrorism and suicide bombings has reached far beyond the United States, Europe and Israel. The combination of these factors makes it more important than ever to be acquainted with the reality of the Middle East.

Finally, it should be stressed that these same Arab and Iranian dictators oppress their own citizens, threaten Israel and support global terrorism. The three hundred and sixty million oppressed people living in Arab states and Iran have a right to the same freedom and prosperity enjoyed by Europeans, Americans and Israelis.

We encourage you to fill out and submit the PR Ambassador Questionnaire and start supporting democratic Israel and the struggle against tyranny.

On Mahal2000’s website there are links to other popular volunteer programs in Israel.

Thanks again for your kind offer to serve in the IDF. Again, we greatly appreciate your desire to aid the State of Israel by serving in the IDF and hope we could help you to find other meaningful ways to channel your enthusiasm and good will.

Shalom from Jerusalem,

Daniel

Mahal2000 – Overseas Volunteers for the IDF (Israel Defense Forces)

But Lech,

God knows how much we appreciate people like you.
You're the thing we, the Israelis, want to see the most, and the thing we see the less.

There're so many Israelis who choose not to serve in the IDF, inventing all kind of diseases so they will get out of this. So to see someone not from here, who isn't even Jewish, who wants to come here and fight with us, is indeed something I never seen before, wished for that, but this is definitly a first.

I'm sorry not to beeing able to assist in any way, if I could I would've, sadly there're no exeptions on this matter, and my job in the IDF is not such where I can make a difference on those matters.

God bless you.
Guy.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:29 AM

impuls3 is on a distinguished road

Let us clear up a couple things.
1) Mahal is NOT the official IDF volounteer organization. It is a privately operated organization not directly affiliated with the army

2) "That's why non-jewish ( and most jewish also ) coming from abroad will probably never get a serious job in the IDF" For non-Israeli, non-jews that statement is correct. For non-Israeli Jews, that statement is false. A non Israeli who chooses to join the IDF for their full term of service, and passes all their testing (including Hebrew) can hold almost any job that an Israeli can hold. (minus; Pilots [7 yrs res. min], and Border Police [2 yrs res. min])
Old 04-12-2007, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impuls3 View Post
Let us clear up a couple things.
1) Mahal is NOT the official IDF volounteer organization. It is a privately operated organization not directly affiliated with the army

2) "That's why non-jewish ( and most jewish also ) coming from abroad will probably never get a serious job in the IDF" For non-Israeli, non-jews that statement is correct. For non-Israeli Jews, that statement is false. A non Israeli who chooses to join the IDF for their full term of service, and passes all their testing (including Hebrew) can hold almost any job that an Israeli can hold. (minus; Pilots [7 yrs res. min], and Border Police [2 yrs res. min])
Not quite correct,

Maybe by official rules, getting those jobs is possible, practically, it is not.

I never met non-Israeli pilots ( and I don't think there're any ) , intelligence people, only Israelis. Once I met a guy who was born here and later moved to Norway, he was allowed into Nahal only because he had a very strong connection to Israel, and people testified he wanted to move here for couple of years.
My cousin Daniel, moved here from Ohio, wantede to join Matkal, in the end they authorized him only a regular infantry, to a squad full with foreign soldiers, so they will be able to speak English.

In my base there're couple of non-Israeli jews, none in serious jobs, and they happy with what they got.

But, I'm really not an expert for those matters, really really not.

Last edited by Guy; 04-12-2007 at 07:49 AM..
Old 04-12-2007, 08:18 AM

Laid2waste is on a distinguished road

It also says that christians are allowed. I am non Isreali (sadly, im norweigan) I spent two years in a christian private school, and feel Israel is where I belong.. Being christian and in shape, even if im non Israeli I am still able to qualify for Mahal, correct?

I also plan on learning hebrew as well,
Old 04-12-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid2waste View Post
It also says that christians are allowed. I am non Isreali (sadly, im norweigan) I spent two years in a christian private school, and feel Israel is where I belong.. Being christian and in shape, even if im non Israeli I am still able to qualify for Mahal, correct?

In that case, no..

If you were a christian living in Israel, you could, since you're a christian living abroad, from Mahal point of view you go absolutely no connection to Israel whatsoever, so they will not let you in here.

But, there might be some point with addressing Mahal, with your specific case. Explain what you want to do, and specially, why.. I know it's pretty harsh for someone who only wants to help, but I don't see any other way.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:34 AM

Your input is greatly appreciated, Guy.

Out of curiousity, is it possible to get an Israeli Citizenship by living there for a certain amount of time, or is it even possible for a foreigner to live there?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Dragon

hworta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
But Lech,

God knows how much we appreciate people like you.
You're the thing we, the Israelis, want to see the most, and the thing we see the less.

There're so many Israelis who choose not to serve in the IDF, inventing all kind of diseases so they will get out of this. So to see someone not from here, who isn't even Jewish, who wants to come here and fight with us, is indeed something I never seen before, wished for that, but this is definitly a first.

I'm sorry not to beeing able to assist in any way, if I could I would've, sadly there're no exeptions on this matter, and my job in the IDF is not such where I can make a difference on those matters.

God bless you.
Guy.

Hai hai, the misinformation and propaganda against Israel is astounding. I find fighting the public relations battle is harder then actualy being in the armed services.

Many American and various other nationality Christians feel very frusterated because the world for better lack of the term is letting Israel bear the brunt of terrorism to try to appease islamic radicals and hope they wont come to Europe or even America, can you say peloski. Its more frusterating because we kind of are the silent majority however the idiots shrill louder and lie better. A lot of people want to help for a multitude of reasons. Israel needs to make an office of public relations and put their message out there. Mainly only American christian organizations and conservative writers toot Israel's horn if you will.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Dragon

Quote:

Israel and America will become beacons of freedom once islam rules Europe......
Old 04-15-2007, 02:51 PM

alcapone is on a distinguished road

well i can serve mahal if i'm not jewish?
i have read on the official site....the not jewish can be jewish with the conversion and serve in idf
i'm christin and i'm ex italian corporal
Old 04-16-2007, 05:37 PM

impuls3 is on a distinguished road

alcapone- it takes approximately 3 yrs to convert to Judaism. And do you really want to convert just to serve in the IDF? they have a very complex screening process for the IDF. You really need to speak to someone from your local Israeli consulate.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Gold Member

Ultra Requete is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Well thats very noble of you, but seeing how many ROPers are dug-in in Islo and all around Europe you will have propably a chance to fight-on on your doorsteps in few years time...

The Israel is our shield and first-line-of-defence I wish those idiots in EU will realise that.
Hadith Sahih Muslim (41:6985) Abu Huraira reported Allah’s Messenger as saying:
The last hour would not come unless the Muslims will fight against the Jews and the Muslims would kill them until the Jews would hide themselves behind a stone or a tree and a stone or a tree would say: Muslim, or the servant of Allah, there is a Jew behind me; come and kill him.
http://israelmilitary.net/showthread.php?t=2617
http://israelmilitary.net/showthread.php?t=3410
Old 04-17-2007, 02:35 AM

I shall look to the canadian army as a back up lol. IDF is where I want to be, but if that is not possible, then I shall find a military based job else where.. what else can yhou do, you know?

Already looked into hebrew courses in the area, and will be enrolling in one when i graduate :D
Old 04-18-2007, 02:58 PM

OlehBoy07 is on a distinguished road
Default To non-Jews who want to serve

Firstly, allow me to applaude your intentions of serving in the IDF. What you are willing to do sends a very heartening feeling to most Jews. However, IDF service is not a joke and not a game. It is certainly not going to be fun either. Allow me to pose a question; Are you prepared to die for a country you are not a citizen of and have absolutely no connection to?

If you are not Jewish, you have no physical connection to the land at all. Yes I understand Christianity and Islam have holy sights in Israel, but that is a spiritual connection. Jews are physically connected to the land by the covenant in the book of Genesis(Breisheet) and even in the diaspora are descendants of people who once lived there.

There are PLENTY of ways non-Jews can help and support Israel other than IDF service. Check with your local synagogue or Jewish community center to see if there are any Israel volunteer programs you could participate in. YOu can volunteer with the Magen David Adom, Sar-El(two weeks living and working on IDF bases), civil guard volunteers, ect.

You can only serve in the IDF if you are Israeli or Jewish if not Israeli. You can become an Israeli only through the law of return whcih requires that you be Jewish or have atleast one Jewish parent or grandparent, marrying an Israeli, being born in Israel or a very hard, long, stressful process of naturalization which you'll probably be denied and even if not will take YEARS and you will be too old by then to serve anyway.

Don't convert to Judaism to serve in the IDF. First off, it is a very incensere reason to convert. Conversion to Judaism should only be attemped due to a SINCERE desire to practice Judaism, not to join the Israeli army. Also, knowing that you can become an Israeli by marrying one, guys, please don't go about hitting on Israeli chicks just go get citizenship! Marry who you really love, stop worrying about IDF service and support Israel in meaningful ways that you can actually perform.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlehBoy07 View Post
Firstly, allow me to applaude your intentions of serving in the IDF. What you are willing to do sends a very heartening feeling to most Jews. However, IDF service is not a joke and not a game. It is certainly not going to be fun either. Allow me to pose a question; Are you prepared to die for a country you are not a citizen of and have absolutely no connection to?

If you are not Jewish, you have no physical connection to the land at all. Yes I understand Christianity and Islam have holy sights in Israel, but that is a spiritual connection. Jews are physically connected to the land by the covenant in the book of Genesis(Breisheet) and even in the diaspora are descendants of people who once lived there.

There are PLENTY of ways non-Jews can help and support Israel other than IDF service. Check with your local synagogue or Jewish community center to see if there are any Israel volunteer programs you could participate in. YOu can volunteer with the Magen David Adom, Sar-El(two weeks living and working on IDF bases), civil guard volunteers, ect.

You can only serve in the IDF if you are Israeli or Jewish if not Israeli. You can become an Israeli only through the law of return whcih requires that you be Jewish or have atleast one Jewish parent or grandparent, marrying an Israeli, being born in Israel or a very hard, long, stressful process of naturalization which you'll probably be denied and even if not will take YEARS and you will be too old by then to serve anyway.

Don't convert to Judaism to serve in the IDF. First off, it is a very incensere reason to convert. Conversion to Judaism should only be attemped due to a SINCERE desire to practice Judaism, not to join the Israeli army. Also, knowing that you can become an Israeli by marrying one, guys, please don't go about hitting on Israeli chicks just go get citizenship! Marry who you really love, stop worrying about IDF service and support Israel in meaningful ways that you can actually perform.

Dont lump Christians and Muslims in the same category to casually. Christians particularly from America support Israel because we believe that Jewish people and Israel are being beaten upon by the world, ironically most of the same world that comitted the holocaust. Americans were bystanders once before and did nothing, so we dont want it to happen again, even if our government wont do much. This should be a good sign for all you living in Israel, the sleeping majority has finally woken up.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:10 PM

OttawaLoneWolf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Not quite correct,

Maybe by official rules, getting those jobs is possible, practically, it is not.

I never met non-Israeli pilots ( and I don't think there're any ) , intelligence people, only Israelis. Once I met a guy who was born here and later moved to Norway, he was allowed into Nahal only because he had a very strong connection to Israel, and people testified he wanted to move here for couple of years.
My cousin Daniel, moved here from Ohio, wantede to join Matkal, in the end they authorized him only a regular infantry, to a squad full with foreign soldiers, so they will be able to speak English.

In my base there're couple of non-Israeli jews, none in serious jobs, and they happy with what they got.

But, I'm really not an expert for those matters, really really not.

2 of my friends served in Golani and Nahal and they are not Israeli but Canadian and American Jew.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:02 AM

OlehBoy07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaLoneWolf View Post
2 of my friends served in Golani and Nahal and they are not Israeli but Canadian and American Jew.
Yes, non-Israeli Jews and new immigrants can serve in Infantry units. Of course, that is of course if you consider this a good job? I mean yes it would be rewarding in it's own way as it is very important, but I think the term "Good job" in reference to IDF service is more along the lines of Pilots and Intelligence. I mean if you think about it, serving in the infantry corps means long days, poor living conditions, hard training that never really ends, very little time off, no personal or social life and on top of that its dangerous.
Israel Forum