Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Navy Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navy Forum Israeli Navy discussion, submarines, frigates and Israeli naval forces + Navy's from other nations.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Tokyo

Lightbulb Navy to alter swastika-shaped barracks

Navy to alter swastika-shaped barracks

Map: Aerial View of 'Swastika' Barracks

Video: Navy barracks swastika-shaped

CORONADO, Calif. - The Navy will spend as much as $600,000 to modify a 40-year-old barracks complex that resembles a swastika from the air, a gaffe that went largely unnoticed before satellite images became easily accessible on the Internet.

The Navy said officials noted the buildings' shape after the groundbreaking in 1967 but decided against changing it at the time because it wasn't obvious from the ground. Aerial photos made available on Google Earth in recent years have since revealed the buildings' shape to a wide audience.

The Navy approved the money to change the walkways, landscaping and rooftop solar panels of the four L-shaped barracks, used by members of the Naval Construction Force at the Navy's amphibious base at Coronado, near San Diego.

"We don't want to be associated with something as symbolic and hateful as a swastika," Scott Sutherland, deputy public affairs officer for Navy Region Southwest, told the Los Angeles Times.

Online commentators remarked widely about the buildings' resemblance to the Nazi symbol.

Dave vonKleist, host of "The Power Hour," a Missouri-based radio-talk show, said he wrote to military officials calling for action.

"I'm concerned about symbolism," he said. "This is not the type of message America needs to be sending to the world."

The Navy decided to alter the buildings' shape following requests this year by Anti-Defamation League regional director Morris Casuto and U.S. Rep. Susan Davis.

"I don't ascribe any intentionally evil motives to this," Casuto said of the design. "It just happened. The Navy has been very good about recognizing the problem. The issue is over."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070926/...stika_barracks
Old 09-27-2007, 06:59 AM
Gold Member

Ultra Requete is on a distinguished road

In my humble opinion ADl shoud spend more time and effort on Columbia university inviting Ahmediajan Hitler jr; Or on growing number of whabbi mosques in USA.
Hadith Sahih Muslim (41:6985) Abu Huraira reported Allah’s Messenger as saying:
The last hour would not come unless the Muslims will fight against the Jews and the Muslims would kill them until the Jews would hide themselves behind a stone or a tree and a stone or a tree would say: Muslim, or the servant of Allah, there is a Jew behind me; come and kill him.
http://israelmilitary.net/showthread.php?t=2617
http://israelmilitary.net/showthread.php?t=3410
Old 09-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Gold Member

Topmaul is on a distinguished road

You know with the problems in the Navy right now this is a stupid place to spend money.
His rucksack weighs what he weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him
The True believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'... he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700... he is home.
He knows only the cause...
Now, who wants to quit?
Old 09-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Dragon

PILMAN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Requete View Post
In my humble opinion ADl shoud spend more time and effort on Columbia university inviting Ahmediajan Hitler jr; Or on growing number of whabbi mosques in USA.
ADL really is stupid, they accuse everyone of being anti-semitic. What a waste of money over the shape of a structure, and we all know the neo nazis are going to blame us as usual for this.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:53 PM

weekendsoldier is on a distinguished road

Has US Navy sometimes used money into something useful and not stupid?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:55 PM

John Jeffrey is on a distinguished road

Until I saw the pics I was thinking "no way. this is just some dweeb blurring out his eyes seeing what he wants to see." But ya, it's hard to say it was an accident.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:14 PM

dmg is on a distinguished road

Has anyone here noticed the two buildings that are at the left of the swastika building.??!!???
They are bombers heading toward it(the Swastika)...to destroy it?
i think the architect had another thing in his mind when doind this...

you can see the full image in globalsecurity website

in my very humble opinion thats not antisemitism...just a not very wise
design.

w w w globalsecurity org/military/facility/images/nab-coronado.jpg

put it togheter and you all know were the points (.) should be :-)

but i do agree the should modificate it.

DMG

Last edited by dmg; 10-04-2007 at 10:25 PM..
Old 10-05-2007, 12:35 AM
Kiwi

Just put some covering over one part of the open space and then problem solved, without the 700,000 price tag.

I don't really see a problem with the US Navy is not Nazi they are A-politicial at any time.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:00 PM

Rotterdam is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, what building is this? can anyone post a pic ot it please?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:40 AM

Demoralizer is on a distinguished road

Old 03-26-2008, 05:43 PM

Jester is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Requete View Post

Have to agree here 110%.